Christmas dinner & eggnog..what are you cooking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Lou and I woke to a very quiet home today. After a nice brunch of eggs, bacon and cranberry and orange breadpudding (ah, accompanied by two glasses each of eggnog with bourbon:angel:)we're about to take a walk to clear the cobwebs.

Then it's back in the kitchen for preparations for Christmas dinner. It's going to be just Lou and I and my daughter, Coco. Ivan is with Blair's family, and my son is with his girlfriend's family. Dinner for 3 will be nice, for a change.

First course is pumpkin soup with amoretti crumbs and sherry swirled cream.

Second course is pesto agnolotti with italian sausage, diced tomato and pignoli nuts.

Dinner is herb crusted rack of lamb chops with roasted beets and parsips.

More tiramisu and gingerbread cake for dessert.

Having a barolo with dinner tonight, and the last bottle of banfi red regale for dessert.

I know there was a whole thread on christmas menus but sometimes menus change the last minute...
What are you having today?

We broke from tradition by making lots of finger foods so we can snack all day. The chicken fingers are almost done. Teriyaki pork is next up. We have so many different things its hard to pick. :)

well ... mini cuban sandwiches .. italian fatty with pizza fixings stuffed in it ..
pigs in a blanket .. to start ..
beef tenderloin .. one marinated in a red wine and mustard thingy ..
one dry rubbed with chipotle and garlic ..
roasted red potatoes .. roasted brussel sprouts .. green beans with bacon in them ..
a salad if i get time .. and my wifes world famous sweet potatoe pie with
pecan topping .. oh . and a ham ..

change of plans for us.

dw and my boy are sick, so they're just staying home, not coming in to the city. that reminds me; i have to cancel our reservations in rockefeller center. hopefully we'll get to the sea grill on new years day since i have to work.

but i did manage to make breakfast: eggs over easy, homefries, bacon, and toast. my homefries sucked, but that what you get when you use canned spuds. too slimy.

lunch is in our cafeteria. i think it's a choice of broiled or fried fish, or prime rib.

for dinner, dw's either making a ham or a kielbasa. i'm kinda leaning kielbasa since she doesn't feel well, and it's easy to do. just boil, then nestle into sauerkraut and sauteed potatoes (not canned!), and bake. yum.

I was planning on Standing Rib Roast. After all the cooking for yesterday, a Turkey and Stuffed Ham Dinner. One of my guest suggested that we just have leftovers today. I just might save that roast for another day. I haven't decided yet. It is 55 degrees here today, I don't want the heat of the oven on again anyway.

Buckytom, I'm sorry your family is sick. The kielbasa and kraut sounds yummy.

I have no idea what we're eating today. We are going to my nephew's house this afternoon for the meal (4:00 pm). We were told "bring beer" so..... there is no telling what we're having! :)

We just ate the leftover burritos and black bean/corn relish from supper last night, yummo.

dinner was superb tasting:), talk about comfort food...

pot roast made with local beef, the only "imported" ingredient was the Penzeys beef base; added onions, shredded sweet potatoes, garlic, s&p

horseradish and garlicked yukon gold mashed potatoes

buttered and peppered sweet corn

whole wheat dinner roll with amish butter:)

now the boys are upstairs making music

lol, i thought i was being nice when i called home to ask dw to make the kielbasa, but she told me that ham is so much easier. just pop it in the oven.

the kielbasa encompasses sweating onions in butter, boiling the kielbasa, peeling and slicing potatoes, then compiling and bakin everything.

but then i heard a little voice in the background that said "i want kielbasa mommy. please?"

majority rules. what can i say...:angel:

So sorry your family is sick today, BT. What a rotten day to be under the weather!

I have a couple of pot roasts in the slow-cookers, 15 lbs. of potatoes waiting to be cooked for mashed potatoes & shredded for latkes, fresh green beans blanched for sauteeing later, dough rising for bread, and a pumpkin pie for dessert. The house smells great and the kids are all busy playing with their Christmas goodies and I'm sitting here for a few minutes with a glass of wine. Life is good. (But after reading Vera's menu, it would be better if I was eating at her house tonight!)

I'm just about to start our dinner - it's just hubby & I. Am roasting an 11-3/4 pound goose & will be serving it with Port wine gravy, traditional Czech bread dumplings, sauerkraut, a potato gratin, butter-braised Brussels Sprouts, & good old Crescent Rolls - lol.

Bucky T, sorry your family is sick - also sorry that mine is too!

Both DH and I are under the weather to the back up plan of cranberry & wild rice stuffed turkey breast is on hold and the new back up plan is I am boiling some chicken thighs and turning them into soup. So now we have two Christmas dinners to make up - the one with my family and the one I planned when that one got postponed! At least I know we have enough food in this house to last as long as the snow does!

We are having venison. I have a roast that I'm going to slice up, season with garlic/onion powder salt and pepper and then quickly fry in olive oil and butter. I'll serve it with fresh green beans sauted with onions and bacon. We were going to do some potatoes too but we are not really that hungry.

besides we have to save room for our peppermint ice cream dessert

We are having venison. I have a roast that I'm going to slice up, season with garlic/onion powder salt and pepper and then quickly fry in olive oil and butter. I'll serve it with fresh green beans sauted with onions and bacon. We were going to do some potatoes too but we are not really that hungry.

besides we have to save room for our peppermint ice cream dessert
That sounds wonderful!

We have not felt well today, so our "drive until we find something good that is open" tradition went down the tubes. I had leftover Chinese food for breakfast. This afternoon, when my pain subsided, I had a wonderfully healthy (joking, of course) meal of tortilla chips and salsa, and James had some equally nutritious Doritos (well, at least my salsa had tomatoes and onions, lol), as we sat in bed watching a couple episodes of "Lost in Space" on DVD. Since then I have been nibbling on chocolate covered cherries and Brazil nuts. For entertainment tonight we can just watch my ankles swell!

:)Barbara

Add me to the "sick" roster I have a wicked cold which made a tough xmas tougher.. Xmas Eve dinner was, courtesy of mom, absolutle perfection on the culinary end... on the personal side though the family is going through a rough patch... some things that will ultimatley be trivial some things that are major and we will get through but it is not a good time right now there is alot of hurt going around. At least we were together though. Xmas dinner I skipped as I am feeling aweful and had a long drive... I stuck around for the antipasto which is my favorite part anyway... probably shouldnt have eaten all that but what are you to do presented with mounds of prosciuotto de parma and chunks of reggiano etc... hard to pass up..... finally home and trying to wind down.

i had dinner christmas eve, ham, potato salad, baked beans, rolls etc. two desserts.
this am a christmas brunch of scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon and or sausage. cinnamon rolls, and o.j. such few watching the babies open gifts. then home about one pm for a long nap. had left overs from the eve meal.

I don't remember if I posted this in the other thread the other day, but here is what we had.

Italian sausage balls, assorted cheeses and crackers, the cream cheese/jalapeno jelly deal, Jack Daniel's party nuts, fresh pineapple and grapes

veal cannelloni
Italian bread
a salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm, pepperocini, artichoke hearts, croutons, green and black olives and fresh mozzarella balls

butterscotch pound cake
gingerbread and whipped cream
apple pie with caramel drizzled over

eggnog with or without rum, wine, soft drinks, etc.

I am full. :pig:

My in-laws made a wonderful supper of ham, scalloped potatoes and stuffing left from last night. Honestly, though, it wouldn't have mattered ... we were just happy to be with DH's family after several days of agonizing over whether or not we would actually make it back to Oregon (because of the weather). While we make it back here every fall (by car), it's been several years since we were back for Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Today it was just the 4 of us so I made cinnamon pancakes with sausage links for brunch. Then later after #1 son went to work, we had broiled crabcakes and shrimp. We have lots of cookies and sweets to snack on so we went light on the food. Tomorrow the rest of the family is getting together here at my house and we'll have meatballs, homemade pizza, shrimp, hot cider, crackers and cheese, veggie dip and all the assorted cookies and candies and crackerjack.

Back
Top Bottom