Christmas Eve Dinner? December 24th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I've never started one of these threads, hope it's okay.

Tonight we're in the midst of a theme. Last night it was Mexican with homemade tamales and queso dip. Tonight it's orange chicken with noodles. Tomorrow is lasagna. Ethnic, ethnic, ethnic.

So what's your Christmas eve dinner?

We're having some family over tonight.

Grilled beef medallions with a red wine sauce, sauteed mushrooms in a cognac cream sauce, roasted asparagus and cherry tomatoes w/garlic, garlic mashed potatoes.

I`ve boiled a Cured pork loin in water with whole sliced oranges (peel still on) cloves, mustard and cinnamon bark. that`s now cooling in the liquer and will put in the fridge.

Then when we get back from church that`ll be sliced up on fresh baked bread with English mustard and maybe a few pickled onions and a wedge of cheese on the side.

Christmas Eve Dinner? December 24th
Last night was a nice celebration with all brothers and sisters and families. Dinner was sliced ham and turkey with sauces, and vegetables, salad and several sweets. Tonight will be with cousins and families, more or less the same foods. It has been like this for several years, as many like to have time to be with their spouses families.
In both houses one of the things served are: Natilla and buñuelos, hojuelas and honey. This things are always served Christmas time.

I've never started one of these threads, hope it's okay.

You did just fine, Callisto!:)

We're eating very early today--3:30:rolleyes:, since the church service we want to go to is at 5:30. I have a lasagna to pop in the oven soon and we'll have it with a simple green salad and a fresh baguette I picked up this morning. After church, throughout the evening, will be all sorts of nibbles--veggies and dip, cheese, beefstick, crackers, cookies, and gingerbread with fresh whipped cream.

We're having the family over for Christmas lunch tomorrow so DH and BIL have been banished outside (so that they don't mess up my kitchen that I just cleaned) to make a "potjie" - basically a kind of stew in a cast iron pot over the fire. Doing a chilli con carne - yum!

I started a pot roast in the crock pot at 7:30 this morning. Also threw in onions, potatoes, some red wine and broth. I'll make New York Times no-knead bread later today and microwave some frozen peas. Oh, and the rest of the wine will be put to good use!

Takin' it easy today. I just finished making our "green" gelatin salad and will put the potato rolls in the oven in a few minutes then, tomorrow, all I'll have to do is warm them.

Tonight we're going to have minestrone stew with a homemade baguette and some gubana for dessert.

Tomorrow will be the "feast."

Tonight will be leftover steak with rice and salad. The last 2 days have been a blur of cooking big, fabulous family feasts and I think we're all stuffed. (Plus unfortunately, 2 of my kids got sick with the flu last night. One got it 9 days ago so I was hoping the rest of us might somehow miss it. Oh well, at least we're together!)

dh is working tomorrow, so we are celebrating our Christmas today. Santa came to our house early. :LOL:

We'll be having
brined turkey that I'll rub a sage butter under the skin
gravy
mashed potatoes
mushrooms en papillote
broc rice casserole
biscuits
kahlua mousse pie

I feel like I'm leaving something out. That doesn't seem like enough food.:LOL:

Oh, man, I forgot salad. I knew I would forget something. I may seriously just run through Wendy's and get a couple of side salads rather than go back to Walmart today.

no cooking

am really busy for the whole day. this am making frosting for pumpkin bars. mixing egg salad for dip.

then church, then a christmas party at my friends house.

then into bed, christmas brunch at my granddaughter's house.i have five granddaughters.

happy holidays

babe:chef:

We do Christmas Eve, so Santa can come for the little kiddos at a reasonable hour...So, instead of a big meal, we snack, it's appy time...anchovey dip,avocado dip,chips and crackers, figs stuffed with mascarpone and drizzled with lavender honey, little smokies with cocktail sauce and raspberry jam, meatballs in marinara,fondue and nice crusty bread, foccacia,Italian meat tray with copa,prosciutto, mortadella, ham, chicken,pastrami,marinated olives,mushrooms, chipoline onions,pepperoncini, cheese platter, torta,stuffed onions, fresh veggie tray, cookies,fudge,almond crunch, deviled eggs, have no idea what my sis will show up with or my daughter in law..needless to say no one is going to starve:LOL:
Merry Christmas
kades

We decided on a leg of lamb, asparagus and garlic parsley new potatoes.
Never cooked lamb before, but my globe trotting wife has. Should be delicious!

Tomorrow... whatever open "chinese buffet" we can find! It's tradition! :)

Oh wow. Your suppers all look lovely. Tonight is almost always Ukrainian food night for us. Perohe and sausage tonight, with a coleslaw just because I'm craving one. LOL. I may do some cabbage rolls if I get inspired but no one will eat them but me! I have my chocolate tart in the oven right now so it will be all ready for tomorrow's dessert. It smells pretty darned chocolatey right now. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Katie what is gubana?

Just grazing & nibbling. Fondue date night. :LOL: (That stuck in my head from an Everybody Loves Raymond episode.) Had a craving for fondue ever since I watched a lady from Williams-Sonoma on the morning news/show. Don't have any Kirsch, so it will be cheddar - wine, crab, brocolli, asparagus, tomatoes, French bread. (I feel like I'm forgetting something.) Yoplait's White Chocolate Raspberry Mousse for dessert.

Next time, bleu cheese

Williams-Sonoma Fondue

or

Fondue Bourguignonne ;)

Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom