Cincinnati Restaraunts? I am goin this weekend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
We have a Hockey Tournament in Cincinnati this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to eat that is kid friendly. Anyone go to Skyline Chili or Zip's Cafe? How about Fuddruckers?

Cincinnati Restaurants? I am goin this weekend.

You MUST eat some Graeter's ice cream. (Graeter's ice cream was featured on the Food Network.) I grew up in Cincinnati and remember eating Graeter's ice cream. It is expensive but it is a MUST when you are in Cincinnati.

Frisch's was started in Cincinnati. It's a family - friendly hamburger restaurant.

Skyline or Goldstar Chili are definitely kid friendly, if you would like to try an entirely different type of chili. Don't know about Zip's. Honeybee is so right about Graeter's! Best ice cream I've ever had but just a touch more expensive than you're average Dairy Queen. It's worth it, though! Avoid Fuddrucker's, it's just an overpriced burger joint. Frisch's is much better! :D

I've never been to a Frisch's, but we have Fuddrucker's here in PA and I wouldn't rush to go there. There are a lot of other places for better burgers at better prices. Have a good trip, Bang! :D

Cincinnati is famous for its chili so I think you should eat some while you are there. I agree with the overpricing at Fuddruckers, but they do make a tasty burger.

Thanks for the tips. My friend does not appear to be very adventurous and wants to eat at Applebees and Bob Evans. Ughhhhhh :!:

I second the idea of suspending your concept of chili and hitting Skyline. In other places I've lived this was called "Greek chili" or "Greek spaghetti sauce". But it is truly an ethnic/local favorite. Do NOT think Texas, do not think Mexican. This dish has Greek roots with heavy USA influence and is great once you get over the Texas thing.

As a matter of fact, I'm making some right now for my Christmas party!

Yup. Ask around. When I was in Virginia, many pizza places served spagetti with a meat sauce that tasted very similar to the Cincinnati chili over spaghetti (two ways?). People would puzzle over the dish, and Jer and I would laugh ... the owners are Greek, not Italian. We'd ask, and always be right. The cinnamon & allspice give it away. Many other Greek dishes have a sauce that tastes similar ... I've had pasticio that has a sauce that tastes like Cincinnati chili, made by a friend's Greek mother.

Yup. In Virginia we'd go to pizza places where if you ordered spaghetti with meat sauce, you got what anyone from Cincinnati would call chili two ways. When friends would be puzzled at the flavor, we would laugh, and say, the owners must be Greek. Sure as h-e-double hockey sticks, we'd ask and be right!

Claire said:
I second the idea of suspending your concept of chili and hitting Skyline. In other places I've lived this was called "Greek chili" or "Greek spaghetti sauce". But it is truly an ethnic/local favorite. Do NOT think Texas, do not think Mexican. This dish has Greek roots with heavy USA influence and is great once you get over the Texas thing.

As a matter of fact, I'm making some right now for my Christmas party!

Very interesting. I cook alot of mideastern food using cinamoninnnin and allspice. I often brown beef burger with onions and cinnnamomiiinin. :LOL: and eat it with pita bread.

Maisonette
114 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45201
Tel: (513) 721-2260

It was featured on the FOOD TV show "The Best Of"

I have a thing about avoiding any kind of chain when I travel. What is the point? When we went to Cincinatti, we walked down the street. We knew that Cincinatti chili was famous, and we just looked for a group of likely looking people on their lunch breaks (likely looking meaning no one looked like they could pose for a fashion shoot; people who looked like they actually EAT) and asked them the best place nearby for chili. They pointed us to Skyline.

In other cities we do similar. We're always looking for Mom & Pop type places. Not the newest "hip" spot, but somewhere Nguyen set up shop, or Mario makes the best.

DampCharcoal said:
You're saying that Cinci chili is from Greek recipes? I'm intrigued!
Yes.
It's very good in it's own weird sort of special way.
It's not even the same kind if thing as Texas chili, so even if someone has attitude about chili, it doesn't comapre.

Probably too late to make a suggestion unless you log on in Ohio, but Dewey's pizza on Montgomery Road (at Harper's Point) is a "must-see".
Not exactly 5-star, but it's not exactly like take-out pizza, either. ;)

kleenex said:
Maisonette
114 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45201
Tel: (513) 721-2260

It was featured on the FOOD TV show "The Best Of"
The Maisonette is good, but probably overrated in the bigger scheme of things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom