Clang! Clang! Dinner bell's ringing - Thurs. May 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I've got some drumsticks (the chicken kind) in the oven baking with seasoned salt, pepper and garlic powder roasting. We'll have that with salads. Need to keep it simple tonight. What's on your table?

Hm. (Walks to fridge, opens door). Leftover mediocre wings from DH's last night bar foray, some slices of turkey, carrot and celery sticks, and rhubarb sauce.

Since SC does all of the supermarket shopping, I thought I'd check out a brand new store a few miles away after I got my hair cut. Wow, what a beautiful huge store with lots of things I've never seen.

Anyway, I got some of the makings for a southern dinner with beautiful bulk Kale and Mustard greens. I also found a smoked turkey wing and a bag of frozen black eyed peas, along with a frozen bag of pearl onions. I'm going to use my new ham flavored BTB for the broth. Oh boy, it's going to smell good around here and my beautiful Allclad
saute pan with lid got here yesterday!
I'll take a picture later.

Last edited:
Fun, Kay. I love checking out new grocery stores. Don't get to do it nearly enough! Your down home southern meal sounds good.

Like Jabbur, it'll be chicken drumsticks tonight - probably just seasoned and roasted. Roasted asparagus and potato wedges will be sides. May as well use the oven for the whole meal. :chef::yum:

Last edited:
Neither SO or I are hungry tonight so we'll have some odd and ends to stave off starvation.

As soon as I get off from work this evening we're heading down to San Diego to attend a Friday afternoon wedding. We'll probably stop somewhere along the way at an In-N-Out Burger or something like that.

I mixed up some Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt and Mural of Flavor with home-grown rosemary and sage and rubbed it under the skin of four chicken thighs, brushed the outside with soy sauce, then put them in the oven to roast.

I'll serve them with pan-fried polenta and braised green beans in chicken broth and Penzey's freeze-dried shallots and Fox Point seasoning.

Braised chicken thighs with artichokes and kalamata olives in the pressure cooker served over brown rice, topped with feta, green salad on the side. Chicken is sooo tender cooked in the pressure cooker.

Tonight is cream of mushroom soup, a scoop of cabbage salad and a dish of strawberries.

My cream of mushroom soup was sort of homemade! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I cleaned and chopped a 9 ounce box of baby bella mushrooms, put them in a casserole dish with a shot of cognac, S&P, a shake of celery seed and another shake of dehydrated onion, a squirt of Worcestershire sauce, a can of Campbell's Healthy Request COMS and a half can of water, put the lid on and baked it for an hour at 375 degrees. :yum:

Taco Salads with hamburger and homemade taco seasoning, canned salsa spiced up with cumin and ancho chili pepper, sour cream, white beans, lettuce, tomato, jalepenos, and cut up tortillas crisped up with oil in the oven.

I mixed up some Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt and Mural of Flavor with home-grown rosemary and sage and rubbed it under the skin of four chicken thighs, brushed the outside with soy sauce, then put them in the oven to roast.

I'll serve them with pan-fried polenta and braised green beans in chicken broth and Penzey's freeze-dried shallots and Fox Point seasoning.

Really good.

Attachments

• 1463704592840.jpg
    1463704592840.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 117
Since SC does all of the supermarket shopping, I thought I'd check out a brand new store a few miles away after I got my hair cut. Wow, what a beautiful huge store with lots of things I've never seen.

Anyway, I got some of the makings for a southern dinner with beautiful bulk Kale and Mustard greens. I also found a smoked turkey wing and a bag of frozen black eyed peas, along with a frozen bag of pearl onions. I'm going to use my new ham flavored BTB for the broth. Oh boy, it's going to smell good around here and my beautiful Allclad
saute pan with lid got here yesterday!
I'll take a picture later.

It was foodgasmic to quote CG. ;) I love my new saute' pan and it was perfect for this.

img_1467182_0_67d2187a16a8d26cb60a3fb6d938c68f.jpg

Ya like that word, eh Kay? :) It's on our "hits list", too. :LOL: And really love those kinds of meals. I planned on a ham/beans/greens meal for us next week.

I had leftover mac&cheese from a few days ago, made a bowl of coleslaw last night, and picked up fried fish at the grocery store, prepared as I did my shopping. Himself took care of dessert (for himself), cutting up a mango and an overripe pear while I was gone. I told him he should add some of the pineapple I cut up last night and he'll have enough for two servings...for himself. I'm not a fan of mango. Instead, I'll fix a bowl of orange segments, fresh strawberries, and a slice kiwi for my dessert. We've been on a real fruit kick around here lately. :yum:

Just as a footnote for anyone interested in the carbs of my meal tonight. I've been craving a good fiber, and the black eyed peas with the meal tonight turned out to be only 17g for my portion of carbs because of the fiber. It was sooo delicious and satisfying.

Last edited:
I posted a recipe yesterday in another thread and decided it looked so good, I'd have it tonight. So tonight is baked chicken breast with a balsamic vinegar sauce.

Just as a footnote for anyone interested in the carbs of my meal tonight. I've been craving a good fiber, and the black eyed peas with the meal tonight turned out to be only 17g for my portion of carbs because of the fiber. It was sooo delicious and satisfying.

That soup sounds really good Kay. I would change the kale to collards or just all mustard greens because neither of us likes the texture of kale for some reason. I'll have to remember this when my collards are big enough to start harvesting, which shouldn't be too much longer.

Back
Top Bottom