Cooking Challenge #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, in the market, will I find anchovies around the canned tuna, salmon, smoked oysters, etc??

yep, they're usually in the same area as other canned or tinned fishes. but, depending on the ethnicity and worldliness of your local markets, it may be in an ethnic section, probably mediterranean (italian, greek, etc.).

if you get lucky, buy fresh ones at all costs. they are awesome cleaned, rubbed with evoo, s&p, and fresh garlic, and grilled.

Thanks, bucky! I'll check it out next time I travel to market. It's a 110 mile round trip. Not one I make often! No way will I find fresh ones - tins will have to do.:LOL:

callie said:
So, in the market, will I find anchovies around the canned tuna, salmon, smoked oysters, etc??
Yes, they are right there with the tuna and sardines, oysters, clams...I get Star brand but there are several different brands all are good. I've even seem them packed into a small glass jar..
kadesma:)

Bangbang said:
I like the glass jar so I can take a few out and put the rest in the fridge.
Bang, I've never bought the ones in the glass jar, but, I know the leftovers would go the way the leftovers from the tins would go, into my mouth:LOL: I never have any left over :ROFLMAO:
kadesma..If I have fresh french bread, I butter it and lay on the anchovies...YUMMMMMM

OK! You all have convinced me I HAVE to try anchovies. I'm going to the city tomorrow (yeah, the one 55 miles away) and anchovies are on the grocery list!! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for all the ideas...

callie said:
OK! You all have convinced me I HAVE to try anchovies. I'm going to the city tomorrow (yeah, the one 55 miles away) and anchovies are on the grocery list!! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for all the ideas...
Alright a convert :LOL: I hope you find you like them too Callie...That dip is addicting:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

I buy them in the jar but eat the leftovers anyway, the intentions are good. I put it in ceasar salad, anchovy butter for steak and stuff. The leftovers usually go on toast then in my mouth!!! I love anchovies

Luvs Food, here's how they fix it at our local Italian Club:

Boneyard Boccie Club Bagna Calda

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic (or more) chopped
1 can anchovies, chopped, including oil
Crusty Italian bread, assorted blanched vegetables (cabbage is great!)

Cook garlic in butter and oil. Add anchovies and continue cooking slowly till anchovies dissolve. I do this in an electric skillet so I can keep it warm, and generally make a double batch. If you have any left, you can always toss some pasta in it.

Back
Top Bottom