Cornbread: Sweet or Savory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornbread: sweet or savory

• Total voters

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was just reading an old thread about cornbread, and i was wondering how you like yours? from what i've heard, northerners prefer sweet, southerners prefer savory (not sweet).

i like mine savory, on the dry/crumbly side to accent the melting butter.

my absolute favourite is with jalapenos. what's yours?

Sweet cornbread for me. But, then, I'm a Northerner. I started out my cornbread experience with the Jiffy mix stuff. I then graduated to making my own.

From an earlier cornbread thread, I got the recipe from the East Coast Grill and that's my current favorite.

I tend to make my cornbread plain and just add butter and sometimes strawberry jam for breakfast eating.

Savory please ... we tend to make it with chili or jambalaya (and crumble a chunk over the top). If I make it just to nibble on, then we add cheese or chopped green chilies and corn.

Bucky, when you use jalepanoes, do you just slice them up and stir them in or ... ?

I used to make my cornbread from scratch all the time. Even if it's a savory cornbread, I like a little sugar in it.
My husband is perfectly happy with Jiffy Mix, and that's what we use now. I love to crumble it up in my ham'n beans or crowder peas.

Interesting thing about cornbread...all kinds of critters love it too. Dogs, squirrels and birds for sure. I layed some out one day, and laughed my butt off watching a squirrel trying to make off with a whole piece. He kept losing bits of it, and he'd stop and look at them in dismay, but didn't want to turn loose of what he had.
I think I may have too much time on my hands. :wacko:

Sweeeeeet!!!

Attachments

• 72336_cartman.jpg
    72336_cartman.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 103
I add sugar to mine since we like our cornbread a bit sweet but sometimes I make a jalapeño, creamed corn and cheddar cornbread that's out of this world!:ROFLMAO:

We usually have corn bread with beans, and even though I like it sweet, I add some corn, cheese and diced green chiles to it..But, I'll eat it any way I can get it:LOL:

kadesma

i never add sugar... usually honey to sweeten it up. I like them both a lot, but have to say that I usually am in the mood for sweet cornbread.

From the south and I generally prefer sweet. Every now and then I like savory, perhaps with a soup or stew I can crumble it in to.

Absolute favorite is sweet with jalapenos though. Mmmm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom