Craving salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a Wisconsinite and if you ever try those cheese curds fresh right from the vat, you'll have to be desperate to eat them from the grocery store, the squeak! We grew up with stopping at cheese factories on vacations around the state.

My salty bone just got hit with this post and it pushed me into the kitchen--I just made a relish of olives, pickled peppers, capers, onion, celery, garlic, in an italian dressing preparation like you would use in a muffuletta. It's pretty salty. But tasty.

Then a little horseradish cream but I think it is 'just' salty enough.

My go to salty snacks are cheese (alas, no fresh cheese curds around here) and bacon. I used to eat chips and crackers...

Olive tapenade. On crackers, on celery sticks or discs of cucumber, on a spoon. If I REALLY need a salt fix, I drag out a tub of tapenade. It's one of those luxuries that I must have on hand.

I'll go from salty snack to sweet snack, then soon after find myself wanting salty snack again, yes... bacon even.
It's a munchy cycle with me sometimes. Salt than sweet, then wanting salt again...then sweet...

Last edited:
I never go from salt to sweet, if I have something sweet I MUST have something salty after. I much prefer savory to sweet.

Pork Rinds...

I never go from salt to sweet, if I have something sweet I MUST have something salty after. I much prefer savory to sweet.

Pork Rinds...
Yes me too. I adore pork crackling. Pork skin can be bought here (in UK) but I don't think it's taken from the loin (which, it seems, provides the best crackling) since I have scored, salted it then baked it...not that crisp. I finished it off under the grill but needs to be watched since burns quickly.

Yes me too. I adore pork crackling. Pork skin can be bought here (in UK) but I don't think it's taken from the loin (which, it seems, provides the best crackling) since I have scored, salted it then baked it...not that crisp. I finished it off under the grill but needs to be watched since burns quickly.

There was a woman we ran into in Mexico who made and sold "pizzas" off a cart. The crust was a huge sheet of fried salted pork rind, topped with all sorts of fresh veggies. Really good. I have no idea what it was called.

Last edited:
There was a woman we ran into in Mexico who made and sold "pizzas" off a cart. The crust was a huge sheet of fried salted pork rind, topped with all sorts of fresh veggies. Really good. I have no idea what it was called.
Sounds divine.... I am drooling now! :yum:

Mmmmm, me, too, Kayelle. My sister gave me the idea for this occasional bedtime snack: A couple ounces of dark chocolate chips, butterscotch or cinnamon chips, nuts and dried fruit mixed together :yum: It's really tasty mixed up with Greek yogurt, too.
I do that but add the salt (pink Himalayian) because I never buy salted nuts. I also add chipolte and a squeeze of lime. I only use dark chocolate. I don't do it often, but every now and again...

Back
Top Bottom