Culinary Arts school Scholarship Contest Entry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshBenske

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I posted so I thought I would pop on and show everyone what I entered in a scholarship contest for a Culinary Arts school I may possibly be attending. We had to write a 250 word Essay on " Turning your Passion into your Profession" And create a 3 course meal. Here are the photos of the meal, and my Essay. I am still awaiting the results, and Im very nervous, so any input is appreciated!
"Turning my Passion into my Profession"

I think before you define how to turn your passion into a profession, you must define passion. Passion is
the un-controllable drive propelling you in life, It is an animal instinct. Passion makes people do un-conventional things. It is
an unstoppable primitave urge. Passion for most people is walking on the beach with the one you love, or feeling your heart
race under the euphoria of love. The biggest passion for me however was realized the moment I picked up my first chef's knife.
From a young age I always loved food. I always had a natural affliction to cooking, and a slight knack for making things taste good.
Growing up we didnt have a lot of money and my Mother was less than an avid cook, and the sink or swim situation forced me to learn how to make the
best of what you have. As I began to learn and advance in skill, the more I practiced, I began to realize my passion towards food, and the more I learned
the further I saw my passion developing into fruition. Ever since that moment I have known that I wanted to become a Chef.
I have never known a greater pleasure than the face of someone truely pleased by a dish I prepared them. The essence of pleasure, Is passion. And my passion drives me to become
a chef. As each day passes my passion grows stronger influencing me to work harder towards my goal, my life-long passion. Food.

Also, This is the meal-
Creme of Pumpkin soup with Smoked Paprika Creme Fraiche
Grilled Pork Loin chop with Apple Chutney, Potato Latice, and Ginger-Carrot Emulsion sauce
Poached Pears with Orange Creme Anglaise, and Caramelized Honey Marscarpone Mousse.

Attachments

• course1.JPG
    course1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 216
  • course2.JPG
    course2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 205
  • course3.JPG
    course3.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 219
ironchef said:
What school are you trying to get into?

My prefered school is CCA but having talked to some of the students I am kind of doubting it. I have been to the campus twice and it seems very nice, but I just get a lot of bad feedback. This scholarship contest is for PCI in Campbell, CA. The Proffesional Chefs Institute ( www.pci-chef.com )

It is a very nice new school but only offers a diploma vs an associates at CCA, and they do not accept Government funding ( I am going to be completing the Fafsa). I would attend it if I were to recieve one of the scholarship packages.

And for whatever its worth, I recieved my scholarship information late ( Past deadline) And I got a call Yesterday at 8pm from my admissions rep telling me they extended my time to finish it, and that I had to send it Today. So I had to complete the 3 course along with a complete breakdown of the recipe's, the Essay, and some other things.

Josh

Last edited:
Sounds awesome Josh and the meal looks delicious! Great Job! Please let us know how it turns out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya! Good Luck!

For any it concerns. I made it into the Top 16 nationally and I am going to be competing in the finals at PCI. I am very excited!

We are given a pantry list and Competitors Ingredient Basket to prepare a Entree course with, and a Dessert. The Two course plan I have come up with is the following

Roasted Chicken Cutlets with Napoleans of Tomato and Gold Bar squash Confit, on a Potato latice with pan jus

Papaya Creme Brulee with Blood Orange Coulis, and Creme Anglaise ( And some sugar work as garnish)

JoshBenske said:
For any it concerns. I made it into the Top 16 nationally and I am going to be competing in the finals at PCI. I am very excited!

We are given a pantry list and Competitors Ingredient Basket to prepare a Entree course with, and a Dessert. The Two course plan I have come up with is the following

Roasted Chicken Cutlets with Napoleans of Tomato and Gold Bar squash Confit, on a Potato latice with pan jus

Papaya Creme Brulee with Blood Orange Coulis, and Creme Anglaise ( And some sugar work as garnish)

If you need some practice before the offical cooking, you are welcome to to try out the menu at my house in San Diego!It sounds delicious. Best of luck!:chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom