Dinner 05-03-2012 Thirsty Thursday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Greg, I do occasionally try to do copy cat recipes. We were very successful with breakfast sausages. Googled some recipes and started tweaking.

Next will be an attempt to copycat shawarma and shish taouk. Goodness, the stuff from Mr. Falafel is seasoned beautifully.

I'd really like to be able to cook that stuff too. One day when I have the room and the facilities I'll get into it. That's one nice thing about cooking as a hobby. There's so many things to learn to cook that I doubt any one person could ever run out of new stuff to try. It's a hobby that is impossible to run out of novelty.

And so practical. You eat what you make. I'd rather cook my own food any day than dine out. I like the comfort of enjoying this stuff at home.

Last edited:
While I realize that many folks look down their noses at "surimi" (aka "fake" crabmeat/lobster meat, etc., etc.), I find it useful in many applications (as do the Japanese), & sometimes actually get a hankering for it.

So when I came across a good sale on packages of "lobster surimi", I picked a couple up & made us some lovely "pseudo lobster rolls" for Thursday night supper. The chunks were simply mixed up with a few large dollops of Hellmann's mayo & some chopped fresh Tarragon, & served on a bed of farmers' market organic baby lettuce atop extra-large-size toasted hot dog rolls. Served with crinkle-cut sweet potato fries. Really hit the spot for us - "fake" or not. ;)

While I realize that many folks look down their noses at "surimi" (aka "fake" crabmeat/lobster meat, etc., etc.), I find it useful in many applications (as do the Japanese), & sometimes actually get a hankering for it.

So when I came across a good sale on packages of "lobster surimi", I picked a couple up & made us some lovely "pseudo lobster rolls" for Thursday night supper. The chunks were simply mixed up with a few large dollops of Hellmann's mayo & some chopped fresh Tarragon, & served on a bed of farmers' market organic baby lettuce atop extra-large-size toasted hot dog rolls. Served with crinkle-cut sweet potato fries. Really hit the spot for us - "fake" or not. ;)
I use the fake crab meat to add volume to real crab when making a crb salad. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Your dinner sounds wonderful way to go.
kades

I use it to make California rolls. In fact it's easier to use than real crab.

Phew, lots of cooking tonight, but it was worth it.

Chinese barbecue Car Siu from pork tenderloin chunks, marinated over night and flash fried in an extra hot oiled skillet.

White onion wedges, yellow and red bell peppers and Broccolini tossed in a plastic bag with olive oil, salt and garlic powder, then roasted in the oven at 400 degrees

Fried rice my way. I use bacon, celery, carrot, green onion, egg strips from a thin omelet, peas and Soy Sauce. I forgot the sliced almonds this time.

img_1135461_0_0e1b61ff872d850bb449fd298987918b.jpg

what a delightfully bright, fresh dinner plate that sings california sunsets to me--lovely....:yum::)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom