Dinner 05-03-2012 Thirsty Thursday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Is every one out for Thirsty Thursday Happy Hour? I finally cooked today.
Boneless Pork Loin Chop pounded thin and flash fried in canola oil. Fried Green apples with sugar and cinnamon. Baked Sweet potato with a smig of butter and Lemon Peppered Salt free Green Beans.
View attachment 13633

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I did have a cold beverage about an hour ago :)

Wings and wedges for me tonight. With a veggie platter. I'll be going with jerk wings tonight, so I'm sure the Thursday will become more thirsty as the night goes on.
I still need to see if I can get this jerk paste online before I throw the jar out. It's killer.

Sauerkraut and pork belly yesterday. Pork chopsuey tonight. 4.5 quarts of pork and venison meatballs tomato spaghetti sauce simmering on the back burner for Saturday. Knackwurst, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and rye bread for Friday.

Shared one shish taouk platter and shawarma platter. Comes with roast potatoes, salad, tabbouleh, pickled turnip, pickled pepper, pickle (wow those pickles are salty), two pitas, aioli, and humous. It all comes from our favourite Lebanese restaurant, Mr. Falafel. I was going to make hamburgers, but the danged fridge froze the ground beef. It was, as usual, very tasty.

Chicken with wine and steamed barley (prepared risotto fashion) with asparagus and fresh veggie tray.

I ordered out tonight. Had one of the Filipino nurses make me up a batch of eggrolls, napa cabbage, carrots, pork and curry. I asked her not to fry them. For $10 I got 15 of the most fantastic eggrolls you ever ate. I got them home, steamed them, served with brown rice and a nice teriyaki glaze. We were both stuffed on three rolls and 1/2 cup of rice.

I'm "wokkin'" on my Kung Pao Shrimp recipe, and came up with a pretty good version. I'm competing with IMO the best Chinese restaurant within reasonable driving range, although the scale is tipped because I'm the only judge on the panel. I'll be happy if I can come up with my own recipe that is even remotely as good as theirs. IMO I'm within striking range! :) (To be fair I'm very critical of my own work. I won't win this contest until I've tested it on my friends.)

I wonder what other home chefs endure when they dine out and decide to copycat a recipe. I've cooked this Kung Pao (with variations) for perhaps once a week for three months now (well over a dozen times). I've sometimes had to cook a recipe (copycat or whatever) 20-30 times before I come up with a version that I can call my own. I'm curious if any other non-professional chefs go through this same thing.

Not every recipe is the best you ever had the first time you cooked it. Like the princess said, "You've got to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince." :)

Phew, lots of cooking tonight, but it was worth it.

Chinese barbecue Car Siu from pork tenderloin chunks, marinated over night and flash fried in an extra hot oiled skillet.

White onion wedges, yellow and red bell peppers and Broccolini tossed in a plastic bag with olive oil, salt and garlic powder, then roasted in the oven at 400 degrees

Fried rice my way. I use bacon, celery, carrot, green onion, egg strips from a thin omelet, peas and Soy Sauce. I forgot the sliced almonds this time.

img_1134889_0_0e1b61ff872d850bb449fd298987918b.jpg

I ordered out tonight. Had one of the Filipino nurses make me up a batch of eggrolls, napa cabbage, carrots, pork and curry. I asked her not to fry them. For $10 I got 15 of the most fantastic eggrolls you ever ate. I got them home, steamed them, served with brown rice and a nice teriyaki glaze. We were both stuffed on three rolls and 1/2 cup of rice.
Yum! :yum:

We had lunch at DH's parents today. I was not feeling great and have only been eating "creamy foods". But we went and Mom pulls out all this food - her rouladen which is always so tender with an incredible gravy, potatoes, steamed red cabbage and curried cauliflower. I had a very small piece of meat but loved the rest of the meal.

I sent DH with the other half of the gluten free flat bread pizza I had last night (vegetable with bocanccini, feta and mozza). I had some pasta with mushroom sauce from the other night but didn't eat much as I was very full from lunch.

DH and I went to watch Ethan's last bb game. Glad we did he did a grat job got 2 hits and made 2 out helping his team. We had quite a time Miss Olivia had stitches put just above her knee baby sitter was not watching them very well. Poor kid.So dh is now making us blt's with potato salad. just ice cream for dessert.
kades:rolleyes:

I hope you will post the barbecue recipe in a different topic if you haven't already done so. It looks delicious!

It really is delicious Greg, but I'm sorry to say I can't take the full credit.
I use NOH Chinese Barbecue Char Siu mix that comes in an envelope for the marinade, you simply mix it with water. I've used it for years, and when I'm in an Asian grocery I pick up several packets, although I've recently seen it in our local grocery. ;)
Good stuff.

Okay thanks Kayelle, I've made a note of the product name. I'm more fortunate than most Chinese food lovers that I have several really good Asian markets within close driving range, 3-4 miles, and was in one of them mere hours ago and could have probably found this product if I had been aware of it then. It sounds like something I could pick up and try any time. Maybe tomorrow.

I rather like the idea of cooking from "scratch" recipes but I also enjoy making use of the many commercial products that make cooking easier.

A similar product I enjoy but American (south?) not Chinese, Williams Country Gravy (mix, just add water and boil). I could probably do as well but take me 40 minutes or an hour of cooking instead of 3 minutes mix and boil. I like to serve it over a roasted turkey thigh (available usually in 2-packs at the market, two big servings for about $4-$5) and instant mashed potatoes.

mmm, that looks delicious, Kayelle :yum:
It would work well on the grill, too.

Action shot of my wings & wedges. They were served with celery and large amounts of Ken's blue cheese dressing.

Attachments

• wings & wedges.jpg
    wings & wedges.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 152
mmm, that looks delicious, Kayelle :yum:
It would work well on the grill, too.

Action shot of my wings & wedges. They were served with celery and large amounts of Ken's blue cheese dressing.

You are most definitely the Wing King, Pac! You're wings always look scrumptious no matter how you cook 'em.
:chef:

Back
Top Bottom