Dinner 10/24/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roasted Pork Loin (chopped mushrooms & onions sautéed in EVOO till soft, frozen chopped spinach thawed & squeezed dry added to pan, seasoned with sea salt, ground peppercorns & thyme. Butterflied pork loin spread with the spinach mixture, rolled & tied seared in pan then roasted) served with rosemary roasted Red & Yukon potatoes & onions, buttered steamed Brussels sprouts & pork gravy.

I burned myself several times making dinner!! It’s been 3 hours and they still burn like hell!!

It looks wonderful, you can have my brussels sprouts;)

Fill a zip bag with cold water...no ice...and hold it on the burns. If there are no blisters put a very light coat of face cream on them when the burning stops. Blisters, cover with light gauze to protect, no ointment or creams.

Hot Roast Beef Sammies with the rest of the roast from last night which I cooked but did not eat. Glad I got some...the men sure dug into it last night and it was very good!

It looks wonderful, you can have my brussels sprouts;)

Fill a zip bag with cold water...no ice...and hold it on the burns. If there are no blisters put a very light coat of face cream on them when the burning stops. Blisters, cover with light gauze to protect, no ointment or creams.
Thank you PF!!

I did zip with water and ice then Eucerin Plus

Tonight was a roast pork loin seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and fresh sage leaves from my yard. Roasted on top of sliced onions and mushrooms with more sage, a bay leaf and small amount of veg broth. Once pork came out of the oven a splash of Reisling was added and cooked down briefly. A pat of butter was added to mount the sauce.
Served with rosemary roasted potato slices and some butter sauteed cabbage strips.
And, more of the Reisling used in the sauce to wash the dinner down.

Good deal! Just don't want you to get frost bitten! If they are still hurting, try it again. Burns HURT! If you can take it, Tylenol helps.
I have been getting myself for the last 2 days!! LOL I have a red burn line on my inner wrist from yesterday!! AND a papercut like cut on my pinky from the knife I honed to carve the roast tonight!! I have no clue how I got it because the burns were my focus!! I just noticed it when the flap caught on my jammie pants.

Tonight was a roast pork loin seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and fresh sage leaves from my yard. Roasted on top of sliced onions and mushrooms with more sage, a bay leaf and small amount of veg broth. Once pork came out of the oven a splash of Reisling was added and cooked down briefly. A pat of butter was added to mount the sauce.
Served with rosemary roasted potato slices and some butter sauteed cabbage strips.
And, more of the Reisling used in the sauce to wash the dinner down.
Sounds great!! We had almost the same dinner tonight!! LOL

I have been getting myself for the last 2 days!! LOL I have a red burn line on my inner wrist from yesterday!! AND a papercut like cut on my pinky from the knife I honed to carve the roast tonight!! I have no clue how I got it because the burns were my focus!! I just noticed it when the flap caught on my jammie pants.

At least you didn't find the cut while squeezing lemons....OW!

Roasted Pork Loin (chopped mushrooms & onions sautéed in EVOO till soft, frozen chopped spinach thawed & squeezed dry added to pan, seasoned with sea salt, ground peppercorns & thyme. Butterflied pork loin spread with the spinach mixture, rolled & tied seared in pan then roasted) served with rosemary roasted Red & Yukon potatoes & onions, buttered steamed Brussels sprouts & pork gravy.

I burned myself several times making dinner!! It’s been 3 hours and they still burn like hell!!

Well lookee there, someone else who likes to make a roulade (rolled roast). That sure looks yummy. I envy you the Brussels sprouts. Judging by the colour, they were perfectly cooked. My DH gets nauseous just smelling them, so I don't get to eat them very often.

When you burn yourself, get the burn into cool - not cold - water immediately. Leave the burned hand, fingers, whatever in the cool water until it stops hurting. If it starts hurting again when removed from the water, stick it back in. If it takes more than a few minutes, add some salt to the water.

I burn myself all the time, so I know. I usually use running water at first. It's good enough for smaller burns. A few weeks ago I burned my hand badly enough that 1/2 an hour later, it still hurt. I dipped some paper towels in the salted water and wrapped them around my hand. Then I put a plastic bag over that and taped it in place.

The next morning my hand was very pink and pruney, but I couldn't see even a little redness where I had burnt myself.

The reason for cool, not cold, water is that cold will numb and you want to be able to feel that the burn has absorbed enough water to stop hurting.

Well lookee there, someone else who likes to make a roulade (rolled roast). That sure looks yummy. I envy you the Brussels sprouts. Judging by the colour, they were perfectly cooked. My DH gets nauseous just smelling them, so I don't get to eat them very often.

When you burn yourself, get the burn into cool - not cold - water immediately. Leave the burned hand, fingers, whatever in the cool water until it stops hurting. If it starts hurting again when removed from the water, stick it back in. If it takes more than a few minutes, add some salt to the water.

I burn myself all the time, so I know. I usually use running water at first. It's good enough for smaller burns. A few weeks ago I burned my hand badly enough that 1/2 an hour later, it still hurt. I dipped some paper towels in the salted water and wrapped them around my hand. Then I put a plastic bag over that and taped it in place.

The next morning my hand was very pink and pruney, but I couldn't see even a little redness where I had burnt myself.

The reason for cool, not cold, water is that cold will numb and you want to be able to feel that the burn has absorbed enough water to stop hurting.
Thank you taxlady!!

Yes I know about the cool not cold. Cold will send it into shock going from one extreme to the other. I do/did the cold running water for a few minutes then I filled a tall quart take out soup container with cool water and soaked while the roast was in the oven. Then the zip bag later. I never knew about the salt trick. Will epsom salt work?

Last edited:
Thank you taxlady!!

Yes I know about the cool not cold. Cold will send it into shock going from one extreme to the other. I do/did the cold running water for a few minutes then I filled a tall quart take out soup container with cool water and soaked while the roast was in the oven. Then the zip bag later. I never knew about the salt trick. Will epsom salt work?

No, you want plain old NaCl, table salt. About 1.5 teaspoon for a quart of water in US measure or about 9 grams in a litre of water in metric. It doesn't have to be exact. You can taste it. It should be about as salty as seawater. It should not make the burn sting, especially if the skin isn't broken.

Of course if you have a bottle of physiological salt water or Ringer's lying around, that would be perfect. ;)

No, you want plain old NaCl, table salt. About 1.5 teaspoon for a quart of water in US measure or about 9 grams in a litre of water in metric. It doesn't have to be exact. You can taste it. It should be about as salty as seawater. It should not make the burn sting, especially if the skin isn't broken.

Of course if you have a bottle of physiological salt water or Ringer's lying around, that would be perfect. ;)

As a matter of fact, I do have Normal Saline AND Ringer's Lactate in my first aid kit...IV fluids. :)

I see you had a fight with the oven and the oven won.

Have you ever used Aloe Vera jell? I buy it at walmart and it works wonders on burns.

I see you had a fight with the oven and the oven won.

Have you ever used Aloe Vera jell? I buy it at walmart and it works wonders on burns.
Acually it was the rim the pot while tossing my alfredo with my linguine!! LOL I never use aloe vera jell. Can I get it other than at wallmart? We don't shop there for many reasons.

Acually it was the rim the pot while tossing my alfredo with my linguine!! LOL I never use aloe vera jell. Can I get it other than at wallmart? We don't shop there for many reasons.

You can probably get aloe vera gel at the pharmacy or at a health food store. Or you could buy an aloe vera plant

aloe-vera.gif

and break off a chunk of one of the leaves. Then smear that on. It's what I do. I have one growing in the kitchen in a hanging pot.

fresh_aloe_vera_gel1.jpg

You can probably get aloe vera gel at the pharmacy or at a health food store. Or you could buy an aloe vera plant

aloe-vera.gif

and break off a chunk of one of the leaves. Then smear that on. It's what I do. I have one growing in the kitchen in a hanging pot.

fresh_aloe_vera_gel1.jpg
I will look into buying some gel. I have no luck growing things in the house.

I will look into buying some gel. I have no luck growing things in the house.

I don't usually have much luck with plants indoors either. My neighbour gave it to me; I wouldn't have bought it. It needs sunlight, so that's why it's in the kitchen next to the window. They don't need much water. I think I watered mine about a month ago. I guess I better water it soon. I set the pot in water and water it from the top too. After sitting in water for half an hour, I take it out and let it drip away the excess and then hang it up again.

But you might be happier with the gel. The stuff from the plant wears off your skin fairly quickly and needs to be replenished many times in a day. I guess the gel has something in it that makes it stick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom