Dinner 10-24-2014 ~ Friday Feast or End of Week Clean-out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
We're having kinda both in one meal. I'm supposed to do my weekly shop today, but am having a hard time getting out of the house. Either way, the bulky fresh stuff is going into the oven. I have four colored peppers, a sweet onion, some Italian sausage, plus I'll grab a potato from the basement bin. Cut things up, toss with oil and a bit more Italian seasonings, and spread into low pans to bake. Dinner tonight, plus some leftover for Sunday. Bonus: room in the fridge for the new stuff.

What's in your plan for tonight?

"Dinner" started at 7:00 a.m. as I got things ready for the food photographer. The first main up was coriander-crusted tuna steaks with toasted couscous and ratatouille. We had to do a re-shoot of a beef dish (I didn't make it--a Chef did), and then we did lobster stuffed with a crab salad and pickled mussels. Fancy-dancy, fiddly-diddly.

Thank goodness I have two friends who want to play in the kitchen with us--they did the dishes, helped the photographer get things ready while I cooked.

I'm stuffed. Give me a couple of weeks, and I'll post a link to the pics. The tuna dish was EXCELLENT. The fancy-dancy took us 2.5 hours to make was ... okay ... don't know why the chef won $10K for it. It's pretty, but bland.

Last edited:
We had freezer food tonight. I had chili with onion and cheese along with cornbread. SO had a sloppy Joe.

Not sure yet, but I do have about a half pound of asparagus that should be used in the next day or two. I'm thinking I'll build an omelet for dinner this evening with some of it, and marinate the rest to snack on tomorrow. Watermelon on the side.

Peking Pork, vegetable fried rice....
m69BpUq.jpg

Made a pulled pork of sorts in the slow cooker, a pork loin browned, placed on a bed of onions with bbq sauce, a bit of peach preserves and some bourbon, thickened the sace to serve over and store bought potato salad.

Homemade apple pie for dessert.

Not sure what to call it but I had some leftover tomato and pepper soup so I made this to use up the flank steak I bought a few days ago. Marinated the sliced meat in lime juice, salt pepper, cumin and salsa Inglesa. Cooked some onions and peppers add the meat and browned. Added the soup plus a can of diced tomatoes, oregano and a bit of hot sauce. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. At the end added cilantro and sliced peppers.

img_1394922_0_550bccff59cd8bb1f13cdf918092d264.jpg

Roch and PPO....beautiful pics, so yummy looking! :yum:

K, I've been in the mood for Egg Foo Young for quite some time now. Really need to try your sweetie's recipe. Sounds good! :yum:

I ended up with an omelet with stir fried asparagus, spinach, Bermuda onion, red pepper, and topped with a little smoked cheddar. A slice of toasted dill rye on the side.

Last edited:
We're having kinda both in one meal. I'm supposed to do my weekly shop today, but am having a hard time getting out of the house. Either way, the bulky fresh stuff is going into the oven. I have four colored peppers, a sweet onion, some Italian sausage, plus I'll grab a potato from the basement bin. Cut things up, toss with oil and a bit more Italian seasonings, and spread into low pans to bake. Dinner tonight, plus some leftover for Sunday. Bonus: room in the fridge for the new stuff.

What's in your plan for tonight?

i've never seen a 4 colored pepper before. :smartass:

actually, that sounds really good. i've seen that called sausages murphy around here.

"Dinner" started at 7:00 a.m. as I got things ready for the food photographer. The first main up was coriander-crusted tuna steaks with toasted couscous and ratatouille. We had to do a re-shoot of a beef dish (I didn't make it--a Chef did), and then we did lobster stuffed with a crab salad and pickled mussels. Fancy-dancy, fiddly-diddly.

Thank goodness I have two friends who want to play in the kitchen with us--they did the dishes, helped the photographer get things ready while I cooked.

I'm stuffed. Give me a couple of weeks, and I'll post a link to the pics. The tuna dish was EXCELLENT. The fancy-dancy took us 2.5 hours to make was ... okay ... don't know why the chef won $10K for it. It's pretty, but bland.

i've never heard of pickled mussels before.
and stuffing a lobster with those and crab? sorta like gilding refined gold, as the saying goes.

Peking Pork, vegetable fried rice....
m69BpUq.jpg
looks tasty as usual, rock.
i thought of you when i heard a joke tonight.
a famous nhl goalie was pulled over by a cop for running a red light on his way home after a terrible loss.
the officer noticed who he was, so the goalie thought he was gonna get out of receiving the ticket, but the cop said, " of all people, you should recognize a red light"... :)

Made a pulled pork of sorts in the slow cooker, a pork loin browned, placed on a bed of onions with bbq sauce, a bit of peach preserves and some bourbon, thickened the sace to serve over and store bought potato salad.

Homemade apple pie for dessert.

bc, did the pork end up kinda dry? i use sirloin end roasts (bone in if i can get them) if i' going to slow cook them.

actually, that sounds really good. i've seen that called sausages murphy around here.

i've never heard of pickled mussels before.
and stuffing a lobster with those and crab? sorta like gilding refined gold, as the saying goes.

looks tasty as usual, rock.
i thought of you when i heard a joke tonight.
a famous nhl goalie was pulled over by a cop for running a red light on his way home after a terrible loss.
the officer noticed who he was, so the goalie thought he was gonna get out of receiving the ticket, but the cop said, " of all people, you should recognize a red light"... :)

bc, did the pork end up kinda dry? i use sirloin end roasts (bone in if i can get them) if i' going to slow cook them.

Yeah a bit, but there is enough sauce to remedy that. I got a great deal on this as a markdown. I cook them this way every so often, probably not the best use of such a lean piece of meat, but I make it work.

yeah, sauces and gravies fix a lot of little things.

i've been thinking of other uses for pork loins. i've tried brasciole with a lean loin recemtly and it was the same thing. the sunday gravy made it work. :chef:

i woke up too late for dinner at home (dw made pad thai), so dinner for me tonight will be either a boigah or a rueben, either with fries and pickles. and mustard with the latter.

as discussed, pickles are my veggie. can mustard count too?

Aunt Bea, pickles used to be cucumbers. Since those are definitely a veggie, how can a pickle not be one? ;) Clausen's are so good, you could probably count it for two. Or maybe you had two...

actually, that sounds really good. i've seen that called sausages murphy around here....
Not "four-color" peppers silly.

Actually, had to push tonight's dinner ingredients to the back of the fridge. Himself and I stopped by his sis's house on the way out to run errands. Just had to drop a couple things off. Spent over an hour between saying "hi" and "bye". :LOL: He got a sushi treat at the grocery store (hand-made in-house fresh every day by real sushi guys) and finished up the French onion soup. I cleaned up the cheesy broccoli soup. Then we finished off the rest of the galette.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom