Dinner 3-27-2017 ~ Is your Monday meatless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I finally planned my meals for the week so a meatless one landed on a Monday! Actually, I didn't plan it that way...:ermm:

When I shopped last Friday, I bought my usual portion of fresh mushrooms because I hadn't seen any in the fridge when I gave a quick glance before heading out the door. When I came home and started to put things away, I discovered a bag in the meat drawer. :huh: Well, they are meaty! So tonight's supper will be a mushroom Alfredo sauce over whole wheat spaghetti with a salad.

What's up for your sup?

I'm off to the condo association's annual meeting tonight. SO and GD are on their own and I'll grab something when I get home.

:LOL: you slay me tenspeed! Lasgana made with fresh pasta is the best!

My plan is also a meatless Monday CG.
Greek Salad.
I have a bag of TJ's Herb Salad Mix that needs to used up, Greek Olive Medley and just a bit of Bar's Head Feta, some tomatoes, cucs, sweet bell peppers and onions added to the party bowl.

Ooh, that reminds me... I should make some more dressing!

For some reason over the past few years, I've stopped planning meals.
I just make whatever it is that we feel like.

When we were still working fulltime, I'd plan everything out, shop for it and prepare most of it all on my day off and then once our long days were done (most days, both DH and I would work 12-14 hours six days a week) and we finally got home, it was easy peasy.

...For some reason over the past few years, I've stopped planning meals.
I just make whatever it is that we feel like...
I used to plan, then stopped. I decided to go back to it a few weeks ago when I realized I would by stuff for "intended" meals, then shuffle it around until I caved and used it for something different while it was still usable. My plan is "Strive for Five", as in five new meals. If I hit it just right, I will have enough leftovers for another day or two. If not, some sort of egg dish or a quick soup and sandwiches is good for filling in.

I'm lucky in that Himself is really easy to feed, a pleasure you usually don't enjoy. ;) As long as there is food in the fridge/freezer/pantry/basement storage, we will always eat. We're blessed...

I made up some Caesar dressing, and we have romaine in the crisper.

DH is usually unhappy with a meatless meal, although he did like the bean and cheese enchiladas with tomatillo salsa I made one time.

Tonight, I'm reheating the rest of the scalloped ham & cheese from Friday and will serve it with pan-seared pork chops. I'll also make a sautéed veggie medley with whatever I can scrounge.

Sunshine Trout ; Rice cooked in OJ....

img_1504619_0_8093e538cc184a610aaa1d90ac69190a.jpg

We had a less meat meal, a chicken tagine-style dish with some kumquats from DD's tree at their new house (they didn't know what it was until I told them), chickpeas, onions, garlic, ginger, spices of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, S and P, a touch of honey and chicken broth. I ended up adding a pinch of cayenne because it needed something. It was served over jasmine rice. It was supposed to be couscous, but Craig asked me if we were having rice with it and I totally forgot about the couscous. No pic because it was kind of all the same color and wouldn't have made a good pic.

Last edited:
I'm having an Angus beef rib eye steak cooked via my Sous Vide, 1 hour at 120 degrees then a quick sear. I got the steak 50% off as a last day special.

Baked potato with that, maybe some Alfredo sauce on top, and Lima beans to fill out the balance of the meal.

Just plain old 'Merican cooking.

It's a cold, crappy, wet day, so I'll be making Garfield's favorite - LASAGNA! I'll be making it with fresh pasta (never tried it before). Green salad on the side.

My sister used to have a cocker spaniel named Heather, that I called Odie, after the dog in the Garfield cartoons. It drove my sister nuts, but the dog truly was Odie. I went to my sister's house once, and she had saved me that LAST piece of strawberry cheesecake for me. I put it on the dining room table, and went to the kitchen to pour a cup of coffee. I came back, and "Odie" was standing on the table, eating my cheesecake. That dog almost died that day.

As for dinner tonight. I have no idea, but I do plan to snack on some deep fried asparagus -- my little discovery from yesterday. I was too busy dealing with customers, insurance agents and roofers today to think about dinner.

I have some leftover "wangs" in the fridge. That and fried asparagus may be dinner.

CD

Last edited:
What, what? It comes in a bottle. You nuke some and pour it over your potato. It's better than a plain baked potato with just butter.

If it offends you that much I could use some of the blue cheese dressing I'm dipping vegetable snacks in as I sip my wine waiting for my potato and steak to be finished.

I'm in survivalist mode at present. My business has screwed up my life so badly that simple dinners and take out are about my only options.

I've even been eating (OMG) nuke 'n puke dinners lately, on occasion. Life problems overcome my cooking energy and I have a lot of business problems at present. It sucks to be me right now.

Last edited:
What, what? It comes in a bottle. You nuke some and pour it over your potato. It's better than a plain baked potato with just butter.

I'm in survivalist mode at present. My business has screwed up my life so badly that simple dinners and take out are about my only options.

Alfredo sauce is Italian in origin...

Back
Top Bottom