Dinner 30/1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Dinner ideas for January 30th? I think it'll be half leftovers for us tonight after our weekend of pantry cuisine (have a serving each of sweet and sour veggies and rice and mashed potatoes in the fridge). Not enough spuds to make a Shepard's pie (hmmmm - well :LOL:), so I might make a batch of veggie soup for myself and cook DH some sausages to help finish up the leftovers.

I'm a bit at sea today about dinner. I did tortellini/chicken yesterday so I think today should be something beefy. I am totally craving stir fry though. Hmmm. I have to go to the grocery store today anyway so I think I will pick up a cheap steak and do a beef stir fry tonight.

We had some leftover ribroast from Saturday so I think I will cook the bones and everything except the very best part of the roast. After all the flavor is out of it, I will add some mushroom soup and cook for a few minutes, then the last 5 minutes or so, add the leftover meat. I'll serve that over mashed potatoes or rice, along with leftover squash casserole and green salad. We also have cheesecake, but I'll have an orange for my desert and perhaps a handful of almonds.

The neighbors invited us over for sloppy joes :sick: and to play games. I think I'll go but say I'm not too hungry or something, or maybe that I don't feel well? What else could I say as a good excuse? I'll take over a chocolate cake that I'll make today.

Alix said:
I'm a bit at sea today about dinner. I did tortellini/chicken yesterday so I think today should be something beefy. I am totally craving stir fry though. Hmmm. I have to go to the grocery store today anyway so I think I will pick up a cheap steak and do a beef stir fry tonight.

That is exactly what I'm making for dinner tonight.

we made various pastas in school- it was up to us what we wanted on it. i only had a little cause i had a piece of orange roughy w/ mandarin oranges & some gnocci in a gorgonzola cream sauce from the cafeteria for lunch,:-p then an oatmeal cookie and a gingerale in class in the afternoon.

Shrimp Creole with rice. I got lucky at work yesterday, as we were closing down the kitchen until March, I lucked into 5 lbs of 41/50 PD shrimp, amongst other things. I probably brought home about $50 worth of free groceries.

corazon90 said:
The neighbors invited us over for sloppy joes :sick: and to play games. I think I'll go but say I'm not too hungry or something, or maybe that I don't feel well? What else could I say as a good excuse? I'll take over a chocolate cake that I'll make today.

Well, what I would have liked to say would be..."ya know, I just don't like sloppy joes, mind if I bring a yummy ribeye!!!?"

but I guess that wouldn't be polite...sooooo, cut a big chunk of the cake out and when you get there say you couldn't resist and you're now all full up!!! No, that's not polite either...

OK , I'm at a loss...hope it went well!

PA, i'd say, 'i wasn't thinking earlier when i spoke to you & didn't mention this....- something in sloppy joes tends to give me hives, though i'm not quite so sure what it is. i'll just bring a sandwich along & the others can enjoy the sloppy joes. thanks, though!'

Well, it turned out alright, she made cheeseburgers too. I was able to bypass the slop of joe. When I went over I had decided just to be honest, that I don't really like sloppy joes but wanted to come for the excellent company! Since she made the cheeseburgers too, I didn't have to do or say anything. Thanks for the suggestions.

We had chicken fajitas. As an experiment we froze some guacamole some time ago and last night we defrosted it. It works perfectly!!:)
This was a great discovery, as at one of the big store we go to have beautiful avocados at good price, but we can only get it by a case (about 10 of them). We can make a lot of them one time!! (We omitted cilantro and tomatoes at the time of freezing and added them as we defrosted)

urmaniac13 said:
We had chicken fajitas. As an experiment we froze some guacamole some time ago and last night we defrosted it. It works perfectly!!:)
This was a great discovery, as at one of the big store we go to have beautiful avocados at good price, but we can only get it by a case (about 10 of them). We can make a lot of them one time!! (We omitted cilantro and tomatoes at the time of freezing and added them as we defrosted)
Thanks for the tip Licia, we love avocado dip or Guacamole and it's awful to have to toss the leftovers...Will try freezing.Thanks again

kadesma

last night for dinner, I did a marinated flank steak on the grill. The same one (grill) I said I'd put away due to what it does to my stove. Anyway, I got it out, cranked up the gas on one of the high BTU burners, then tossed on the steak. After about 4 grilling minutes later, I flipped it and cooked it for 4 more minutes. Let it rest and sliced at a diagonal. It was good, pilaf, roasted root vegetables and gingerbread cake slices.

I told DH that tonight, if it's okay with him, I'll do "Freedom" Dip sandwiches using the leftover steak from last night. He's crazy for them so it's a no brainer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom