Dinner 4-18-2019 ~ National Animal Crackers Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm pretty sure a chicken has never been one of the animal cracker designs, but chicken will be on our plate tonight. I'm smothering it with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. Sides will be steamed broccoli and, if I'm ambitious, garlic mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese. I'm thinking the last of the Grands biscuits might stand in for the potatoes, though.

What's on your plate tonight? ~ And, in honor of National Animal Cracker Day, a musical interlude about Animal Crackers by Melanie Safka, a voice you either love or hate. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joblSKSV3Sc

Ottolenghi's braised eggs with leeks, spinach and za'atar. Avocado toast with pistachio dukkah on top.

Attachments

• 2019-04-18 18.30.46.jpg
    2019-04-18 18.30.46.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 142
I'm having what restaurants here call "chicken fried chicken." Don't ask me why, other than it looks just like chicken fried steak, and you serve it with white gravy, just like CFS. Mashed potatoes and fried okra on the side.

CD

We have some animal crackers in the pantry, just to have on hand when the grandkids stop in.

Dinner tonight was broiled salmon topped with a scallion / Kalamata olive / tomato cream sauce, served over spinach pasta, green salad on the side.

I have four chicken thighs resting in the fridge with a light coating of Penzeys Arizona Dreaming and salt (since it's a salt-free seasoning) and shucked corn on the cob ready to go on the grill. I made a sauce to turn the corn into elotes and now I'm making a quick salad for the side.

Interesting. Chicken fried chicken is named after chicken fried steak which is named after fried chicken.

Chicken fried chicken is fried chicken made like chicken fried steak which is made like fried chicken.

Long ago, Friday's restaurants had mushrooms, chicken and mushrooms. It was chicken fried chicken with sauteed mushrooms in gravy, plus fried mushrooms, plus some other mushroom prep, can't remember it's been so long. It was my favorite and I always ordered it when we went.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a chicken has never been one of the animal cracker designs, but chicken will be on our plate tonight. I'm smothering it with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese. Sides will be steamed broccoli and, if I'm ambitious, garlic mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese. I'm thinking the last of the Grands biscuits might stand in for the potatoes, though.

What's on your plate tonight? ~ And, in honor of National Animal Cracker Day, a musical interlude about Animal Crackers by Melanie Safka, a voice you either love or hate. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joblSKSV3Sc

:LOL: CG, if I had to choose, I like this one just a little better. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntYIkuthYg

(grilled cheese and a salad for dinner this afternoon....nothing special...)

Interesting. Chicken fried chicken is named after chicken fried steak which is named after fried chicken.

Chicken fried chicken is fried chicken made like chicken fried steak which is made like fried chicken.

Yup. :)

CD

I'm having what restaurants here call "chicken fried chicken." Don't ask me why, other than it looks just like chicken fried steak, and you serve it with white gravy, just like CFS. Mashed potatoes and fried okra on the side.

CD

Here is what it looked like -- before I ate it. Like many comfort foods, it is not "light" fare. I'm stuffed.

CD

Attachments

• CFC-4-19-001.jpg
    CFC-4-19-001.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 121
casey, I like those little okra nuggets. I've only seen them fried whole. Those look like they'd be fun to pop into the mouth.

:LOL: CG, if I had to choose, I like this one just a little better. LOL...
Loved Shirley Temple! Another voice you either loved or hated. She always sounded mad at someone to me when she sang. :LOL:

Last edited:
casey, I like those little okra nuggets. I've only seen them fried whole. Those look like they'd be fun to pop into the mouth.

Those fried okra nuggets are also a Southern staple. You will find them on just about any meat-and-three menu down here. They would make a good snack food -- like popcorn shrimp, only okra.

CD

Last Night's Prime Rib, Fries and Stinky Beans, with a Lazy Man's Salad...
I recovered from a too-hot pan just in time to save the pink....

Salad, Lazy Man's.jpg

Prime Rib, Stinky Beans.jpg

I have four chicken thighs resting in the fridge with a light coating of Penzeys Arizona Dreaming and salt (since it's a salt-free seasoning) and shucked corn on the cob ready to go on the grill. I made a sauce to turn the corn into elotes and now I'm making a quick salad for the side.
Dinner was delicious!
0418192037.jpg

CG and GG....I agree. She was probably told to look 'ferocious' when she sang about all those animals she ate in that particular song :LOL:....but I'd bet that she would have much rather been playing with her little friends and being a normal child, instead of having all those singing, acting, and dancing lessons. Sad, really. She did retire from acting at an early age, I don't think she was even out of her teens yet.

I watched "The Good Ship Lollypop" video on youtube before I posted the "Animal Crackers" one , and it was actually kind of creepy, IMO. :ermm: It would never fly in this day and age.

CG and GG....I agree. She was probably told to look 'ferocious' when she sang about all those animals she ate in that particular song :LOL:....but I'd bet that she would have much rather been playing with her little friends and being a normal child, instead of having all those singing, acting, and dancing lessons. Sad, really. She did retire from acting at an early age, I don't think she was even out of her teens yet.

I watched "The Good Ship Lollypop" video on youtube before I posted the "Animal Crackers" one , and it was actually kind of creepy, IMO. :ermm: It would never fly in this day and age.

Interesting story... maybe.

I photographed the last car she owned for an auction company. I think it sold for around 15K. It was a beige Mercedes 300E station wagon. It was bland, and it probably only got 15K because it was hers. It was a piece of crap. I had to drive it, and it quit running. It was summer, in Las Vegas. I had to sit and sweat while I waited for a tow.

So, I drove Shirley Temple's last car. That and 3-bucks will get me a cup of coffee. :LOL:

CD

Back
Top Bottom