Dinner 4-26-2016 ~ Tasty Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's cold (41), rainy (we need it - no complaints) and a perfect day for a bowl of soup. I did the heavy lifting yesterday by stripping a rotisserie chicken, tossing bones and trimmings into a pot with enhancements, and making two lovely quarts of golden stock. Today I will marry the stock with the chicken pieces and turn it into my creamy chicken and wild rice soup. I'll saute a minced shallot and bunch of sliced Cremini mushrooms in the stock pot, deglaze with a splash of dry Sherry before I mix everything else into it. :yum: Maybe a little dusting of Meyer lemon rind, too. Now if I could just talk Himself into doing a bread run for a nice baguette..

What's your plan for today's victuals?

I'm using up one of my last quarts of homemade chicken stock to make some of my mom's egg and lemon soup. I'll heat up some lamejun to go with it and that will be our dinner for a cold, wet, dreary day.

There is a fashion now for vegetable style 'spaghetti', i.e. long thing strands of various vegetables. Today I saw some butternut squash 'spaghetti'. I bought it (since it was reduced in price) even though the instructions were just on microwaving it (and I don't have this gadget).

I thought they could be cooked in another method so I opted for lightly sauteeing thinly sliced onions and added the 'spaghetti' to this, turning it constantly. I realised it was not getting softer so I added some veg stock, tamari, piri piri seasoning and some tomato puree. I was surprised by how quickly it cooked and broke down (not keeping its shape) but tasted OK with some chicken (cooked by velveting) and chopped flat parsley.

Both those soups sound just delicious for today!!

I have a late afternoon eye appointment in town today and SC has to go with me for the pre op before I have my second cataract removed in a couple weeks. We'll stay in town for an early dinner before heading back home to the country.

Last edited:
I was on my Cape Coral run today and spied a place advertising live blue crab. I grabbed a dozen on the way home. So, I'm steaming them Maryland style with equal parts vinegar and water, with Old Bay and salt for seasoning. The vinegar really brings out the sweetness of the crab. I made a quick coleslaw and will barrow from a Cajun seafood boil by steaming fresh sweet corn and red potatoes.

On a gorgeous 85° day, I had to visit the dentist. Didn't feel like cooking but fortunately for me, I had purchased some tickets from the school's Relay for Life team. Those tickets entitled me to a pork BBQ sandwich, beans, slaw and dessert. So I swung by the school on my way home from the dentist and picked up my dinners. They smell so good! Doubt I'll wait much longer but I need my mouth to wake up from the local anesthetic before I try to chew anything!

On a gorgeous 85° day, I had to visit the dentist. Didn't feel like cooking but fortunately for me, I had purchased some tickets from the school's Relay for Life team. Those tickets entitled me to a pork BBQ sandwich, beans, slaw and dessert. So I swung by the school on my way home from the dentist and picked up my dinners. They smell so good! Doubt I'll wait much longer but I need my mouth to wake up from the local anesthetic before I try to chew anything!

I did that yesterday on my day off. The dentist couldn't take my until 11 am. Then I had the dang eye doctor at 1. By the time I got home the day was gone. A magnificent day off wasted on doing necessary things:mad: I left home with many hundreds in my wallet and had planned to treat myself to a nice meal out. After they had had their way with me I had $3.00 left! Can't buy a good meal with 3 bucks. Then I had to drive home with my eyes dilated:cool: That was an adventure:rolleyes:

Glad you made it home safe, Liz!

I think it's going to be Taco Tuesday for dinner. Having a taco craving. I'm out of shredded beef and pork unfortunately - much prefer either of those for tacos - but I did find some ground beef seasoned with Arizona Dreaming in the freezer. That will do. Feelin' kind of kitchen lazy today. :)

I just love the dinner thread - everyone's meals always sound so good. :yum:

I usually freeze lamb chops, then thaw them and marinate them, but manage to marinate them for only an hour. This time I marinated two fresh chops for 4 hours, then froze them. This allowed more time for the dried McCormicks rosemary in the marinade to be more pronounced. It's hard to get McCormicks dried rosemary to put much taste into my marinades. I really ought to use fresh next time. The marinade consists of Olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, dried sage, salt and pepper.

Grilled salmon with grilled fruit kabobs (pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and cantaloupe) spinach salad and pickled carrots.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Polenta with butter, bacon and cheddar cheese, chicken wings with hot sauce, and steamed asparagus.

Back
Top Bottom