Dinner 5-26-2016 ~ The Weekend Starts Now (kinda)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
The first official weekend of summer is quickly approaching. We're kicking it off early with ribs, fresh corn and tomato salad, potato salad, and baked beans. I'm cheating - the ribs are already in the slow-cooker smelling the house up. :yum: If one of us wants dessert, we can just reach for another rib.

What's brewing at your place?

My weekend started April 9, the day after my retirement luncheon. Now Saturdays and Sundays are just days when stores are busy and there is too much tourist traffic when it's warm.

For dinner tonight it's burgers on the grill, corn on the cob, and I just finished making a batch of cole slaw.

I'm grilling some green bell pepper, onion and Italian sausages for sandwiches in crusty rolls. I'll also be grilling corn on the cob.

Prepping a pizza for tonight. Spinach, mushroom, garlic and onion...........

img_1467810_0_578ec79eb628f1cb669c682a9976fc06.jpg

img_1467810_1_0c0f381f18c7a0ee20ec7803f6f7f946.jpg

Mmm....your pizza looks delish, Joey. Great sounding dinners, all! :yum:

I took some country style pork ribs out of the freezer to par cook and finish on the grill. I didn't get them out in time for an afternoon grill as I like to do though, so that'll be tomorrow's dinner.

I think I'll build a refried bean, pulled pork, and rice burrito, smother it with salsa verde, and have an avocado on the side.

Hot Dogs! Tonight kicks off an annual summer event here in town. There is live music every Thursday evening on the Plaza and there is a very good hot dog street vendor there.

My weekend started April 9, the day after my retirement luncheon. Now Saturdays and Sundays are just days when stores are busy and there is too much tourist traffic when it's warm.

For dinner tonight it's burgers on the grill, corn on the cob, and I just finished making a batch of cole slaw.

Congrats tenspeed!! The other thing about weekends now, it seems like every other day we say "it's Friday again"? TGIF no longer applies, as it's just a reminder of how fast time flies.

Great looking and sounding meals tonight! We took two huge beautiful rib eyes from the freezer today but I'll save them to grill on Sun. or Mon.

I'm doing some pan pork chops tonight with mushroom pesto sauce. Steamed broccolini will be the mandatory green veggie, and I'll do up some orzo for the SC.

I made some turkey burgers that I fried up in some bacon grease left over from last night's dinner. Heated up some Bush's beans and had some chips and dip.

I ask the philosophical question, "What lengths will some people (me) go to in order to avoid driving to the supermarket?"

I decided to have Shrimp Alfredo over pasta (cooked shrimp from frozen, bottled Alfredo sauce, package pasta) but you need BREAD for this dinner. ... But I didn't have bread and didn't want to drive... What to do? What to do?

Easy. I had all the ingredients for Rosemary Onion Focaccia, so I just made a 2/3 recipe (easy to do if you don't bother to measure ingredients anyway) and it's baking right now!

So that's for dinner: Shrimp Alfredo over pasta, Rosemary Onion Focaccia, and probably throw some veggies in the sauce before I serve it.

Chances are I will survive starvation until at least tomorrow morning!

I found a recipe for baked chicken that guarantees it to be as crispy as fried, but so far all that's happening is the bottom of the chicken is burning, the sides still aren't crisped up, and the breading is falling off the top.

This is an early dinner for me, so I may be making pan-roasted marble potatoes in bacon later on (so I can have what I don't eat tonight for breakfast tomorrow).

Tonight's ribs-and-stuff. Lots of "stuff", including us. In our case, make that "stuffed"! *burp*

Attachments

• 2016-05-26 21.57.37.jpg
    2016-05-26 21.57.37.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 134
I was right - my chicken was edible, but nothing to write home about. So I think about midnight I'll be making pancakes for my real dinner.

Tonight I made what has become one of my favorite summer meals - grilled bratwurst with kicked-up sauerkraut, and potato salad with mustard and herb aioli-style dressing.

I mixed the sauerkraut with beer, grainy mustard, thyme sprigs and caraway seeds and simmered the brats in it on the grill. Then I grilled the brats to brown them. Yummy :yum:

Attachments

• 1464320689017.jpg
    1464320689017.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 147
Yum, more good lookin' dinner pics. :yum:

RR....you must be a night owl - so is Cooking Goddess! :)

Tonight I made what has become one of my favorite summer meals - grilled bratwurst with kicked-up sauerkraut, and potato salad with mustard and herb aioli-style dressing.

I mixed the sauerkraut with beer, grainy mustard, thyme sprigs and caraway seeds and simmered the brats in it on the grill. Then I grilled the brats to brown them. Yummy :yum:

GG are you of German background too? Bockwurst from the German deli is always ready in our freezer. A variation of your dinner is always a favorite in my kitchen too, no matter if it's done on the grill or on the stove. Looks wonderful btw.:yum:

GG are you of German background too? Bockwurst from the German deli is always ready in our freezer. A variation of your dinner is always a favorite in my kitchen too, no matter if it's done on the grill or on the stove. Looks wonderful btw.:yum:

Oh yes! My maiden name is Hoffman and my great-grandparents were Vogels ;) In fact, German was my first language - my dad was in the Army stationed in Germany when I was a baby and our German landlady was my babysitter.

Thank you. When I was plating it, I wished I had made a cucumber salad, too :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom