Dinner 5th August 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lots of great sounding dinners. and again, well done harry.

alix, i would have thought you'd need a greenhouse to get good peppers up by you. good job! my first peppers are ok, but thin walled.

so, for our dinner my boy and i made the snapper in foil packets. he helped me add the herbs, and s&p. when it was cooked and i brought it upstairs, the little guy decided he wanted to make something he saw on tv. "a spoonful of some tasty ingredients". i laughed and realized the he meant an amuse bouche.

here's his amuse bouche: minced shallot and chopped chives mixed with sour cream and a piece of red snapper:
it was freakin' delicious!! lol. :chef:
here's the snapper (with garlic, lemon, s&p, lemon thyme, and pineapple sage) ready to be folded up:
and after a half hour on the grill at around 350:
dw made baked spuds and steamed stringbeans to round it out. sorry, no fianl shots. we were too hungry.
looking at that tom i reckon i'd eat the aluminium foil too:yum:!
brilliant that you encourage your son to cook & he's interested too.mum taught bolas & i to cook at the same time she was teaching us to read....another step on the road to independence...well done mate

lots of great sounding dinners. and again, well done harry.

alix, i would have thought you'd need a greenhouse to get good peppers up by you. good job! my first peppers are ok, but thin walled.

so, for our dinner my boy and i made the snapper in foil packets. he helped me add the herbs, and s&p. when it was cooked and i brought it upstairs, the little guy decided he wanted to make something he saw on tv. "a spoonful of some tasty ingredients". i laughed and realized the he meant an amuse bouche.

here's his amuse bouche: minced shallot and chopped chives mixed with sour cream and a piece of red snapper:

img_1171434_0_6e158e9021ffc17b31de0785a781c2ed.jpg

it was freakin' delicious!! lol. :chef:

here's the snapper (with garlic, lemon, s&p, lemon thyme, and pineapple sage) ready to be folded up:

img_1171434_1_03a631a9711792332c492f6a65e5a8fc.jpg

and after a half hour on the grill at around 350:

img_1171434_2_1a393580fee4c6300434a1040d9eaf27.jpg

dw made baked spuds and steamed stringbeans to round it out. sorry, no fianl shots. we were too hungry.

Looks fabulous Tom, well done the both of you!

Do you mind sharing your recipe for enchiladas. I made some today from a recipe i found but they had no flavor. And we didnt really like them.

Hi, Jessica. :) I don't know where you are, but if you have access to a Trader Joe's, they have a wonderful bottled prepared enchilada sauce. Las Palmas brand is pretty good, too. Enchiladas are one of those things like meat loaf or potato salad, I don't really have an exact recipe. :) I don't make a sauce from scratch - too labor intensive and the last time I did, I didn't care for it.

I usually use flour tortillas, it's not 'authentic' as far as enchiladas go, but they hold up much better. And I like to use a blend of sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheese for the filling, and to sprinkle on top. You can add some shredded chicken or beef in your filling, if you like.

Warm the tortillas in the microwave until they are pliable, dip them in the sauce, put some filling in there, roll them up and put them in the casserole dish seam side down. Pour a little more enchilada sauce on top, more cheese, and reheat at 350 just 'til heated through - everything is cooked already, you don't want to heat them for more than 10-15 min.

Take them out of the oven and sprinkle some green onions on top - you can also top with some chopped olives and cilantro, if you like.

Attachments

• 543267_3587294531785_1033298695_n.jpg
    543267_3587294531785_1033298695_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 136
Oh man, Tom - I can just taste that snapper...that looks so good. Can't blame ya for wanting to dig into it right away, I would too! :yum:

thanks taxy and cheryl.

i could go for some enchiladas right about now! yum.

Last edited:
Hi, Jessica. :) I don't know where you are, but if you have access to a Trader Joe's, they have a wonderful bottled prepared enchilada sauce. Las Palmas brand is pretty good, too. Enchiladas are one of those things like meat loaf or potato salad, I don't really have an exact recipe. :) I don't make a sauce from scratch - too labor intensive and the last time I did, I didn't care for it.

I usually use flour tortillas, it's not 'authentic' as far as enchiladas go, but they hold up much better. And I like to use a blend of sharp cheddar and monterey jack cheese for the filling, and to sprinkle on top. You can add some shredded chicken or beef in your filling, if you like.

Warm the tortillas in the microwave until they are pliable, dip them in the sauce, put some filling in there, roll them up and put them in the casserole dish seam side down. Pour a little more enchilada sauce on top, more cheese, and reheat at 350 just 'til heated through - everything is cooked already, you don't want to heat them for more than 10-15 min.

Take them out of the oven and sprinkle some green onions on top - you can also top with some chopped olives and cilantro, if you like.

That looks fabulous :chef:

I've been craving enchiladas somethin' fierce lately. But I'm also being terribly lazy today. :) If I can get up the energy, I'll make a Mexican feast this afternoon, with refried beans and spanish rice. Should do that today while my cilantro is still fresh. :yum:
just seen the pics chezzer......that does look good.....very very good:chef:!

Back
Top Bottom