Dinner for 4/24?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm gonna cook those dumplings of PA's. my potatoes are baked & my squash is roasted. may cook a savory cheesecake, too. something with bleu cheese?

I guess pizza.
1 piece for me, that's it. I will make a salad and find some fruit to eat with it.

Last edited:
corazon90 said:
leftover green chile chicken frito pies, it's always better the second day.

cora, if you see this, may i have that recipe? i love grn.chiles. those sound so delicious.

Trying out a new recipe in the crockpot for a beef stew. I was surprised to see the ingredient of instant coffee or coffee granules.....so thats what caught my attention and I decided I just had to try it out.

I'm going to serve it with a Spring Salad Mix, Cheesy Garlic Biscuits and Chocolate Pie.

SizzlininIN said:
Trying out a new recipe in the crockpot for a beef stew. I was surprised to see the ingredient of instant coffee or coffee granules.....so thats what caught my attention and I decided I just had to try it out.

I'm going to serve it with a Spring Salad Mix, Cheesy Garlic Biscuits and Chocolate Pie.

Let us know how it tastes and what the coffee does to it.

Sure will Tex! And if you were Licia I'd def. have a plate ready and waiting for you. I'm not a coffee drinker but love the smell of it. But I know sometimes coffee is used in chocolate dishes and some other recipes. I'm not going to tell DH that it has coffee in it and see if he can pick it out. Usually though his butt hits his seat, head down and all my hard work is done in like 5 minutes. I have no idea how his body can digest the food as quickly as he shovels it in.......you'd think he never gets fed.:LOL:

making split pea soup from the Easter ham bone...gawd it smells great in here! sauteed onion and garlic, added carrots and celery chopped, tossed in the ham bone and the pan drippings, added chic broth and water (9 cups total) simmer for an hour, will add one # dried split peas, simmer for another hour + 1/2 if needed. take out bone, grab any loose meat fromit I can, puree soup, add meat back in, flavor with a little fresh herbs and dash of curry. comfort food! and quite healthy for ya. lots of fiber

Well I couldn't resist the smell kept drawing me to the kitchen to try the stew. Its not bad but it needed tweeked with more S & P. I think I'd add less Thyme next time though. Then again I think I'd try a different herb as I'm not a huge, huge fan of Thyme. Surprisingly, you can't even taste a hint of coffee, which I'm shocked about.

Sizzlin, at dinner Saturday night at a nice steakhouse my girlfriend ordered a filet that was soaked in coffee for 4 hours - the waiter told us it tenderizes the meat (like a filet needs to be tenderized!). She couldn't resist and had to try it. I tasted it too - neither of us could taste a bit of coffee - it was very good.

Tonight I am making a pork roast in the crockpot and will make a cranberry gravy from the drippings (I have dried cranberries, a little juice, chicken broth and orange zest in with the roast). I will serve this with spaetzle and haricots verts. For dessert I made an apple and pear pie.

Michelemarie said:
Sizzlin, at dinner Saturday night at a nice steakhouse my girlfriend ordered a filet that was soaked in coffee for 4 hours - the waiter told us it tenderizes the meat (like a filet needs to be tenderized!). She couldn't resist and had to try it. I tasted it too - neither of us could taste a bit of coffee - it was very good.

For tenderizing huh.....interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what the waiter told us - who knows! It did taste good though. I don't think I have ever had a filet that wasn't tender, coffee or no coffee. We are both coffee drinkers, couldn't wait to taste it!

Got pork bits in the crockpot for the family, not sure what they will be feeding us at work but I will have a bagel as backup.

Robo410 said:
making split pea soup from the Easter ham bone...gawd it smells great in here! sauteed onion and garlic, added carrots and celery chopped, tossed in the ham bone and the pan drippings, added chic broth and water (9 cups total) simmer for an hour, will add one # dried split peas, simmer for another hour + 1/2 if needed. take out bone, grab any loose meat fromit I can, puree soup, add meat back in, flavor with a little fresh herbs and dash of curry. comfort food! and quite healthy for ya. lots of fiber

Robo, I am with you all the way until the curry (not a big fan). Otherwise, you have described the best way to dispose of the Easter hambone that I know of.

Dinner tonight is already in the oven. Baked (rather than fried) Hot Spicy Buffalo Wings to be served with Blue Cheese Dressing.

I just section them (saving the tips in the freezer for stock) & sprinkle them with granulated garlic, crushed hot red pepper flakes, oregano, ground cayenne pepper, & dark red chili powder. Then bake at 450 for 15 minutes; lower the heat to 400 for another 15 minutes & then turn them over, resprinkle the 2nd side with seasoning, & bake for another 15 minutes at 400. I then raise the heat back up to 450 for a final 15 minutes.

They are then tossed in a large bowl with a mixture of melted butter & Frank's Louisiana Hot Wing Sauce.

Delicious.

Sounds good, Breezy. I'd just as soon have them baked.

Robo, hope you or one of your neighbors has a dog to enjoy the last of the bone. There's nothing makes a dog happier than a big old hambone to chew on.

Kim cooked chicken and brats on the grill last night, plus roasting some garlic for me. When we cook, we like to cook a lot, so we can enjoy several meals later.

Tonight, we're have brats on buns. I'm going to caramelize some onions and peppers to go on the sandwiches. I'll be adding sauerkraut to mine.

We have enough chicken for me to whip up some kind of dish tomorrow, too.

BreezyCooking said:
Dinner tonight is already in the oven. Baked (rather than fried) Hot Spicy Buffalo Wings to be served with Blue Cheese Dressing.

I just section them (saving the tips in the freezer for stock) & sprinkle them with granulated garlic, crushed hot red pepper flakes, oregano, ground cayenne pepper, & dark red chili powder. Then bake at 450 for 15 minutes; lower the heat to 400 for another 15 minutes & then turn them over, resprinkle the 2nd side with seasoning, & bake for another 15 minutes at 400. I then raise the heat back up to 450 for a final 15 minutes.

They are then tossed in a large bowl with a mixture of melted butter & Frank's Louisiana Hot Wing Sauce.

Delicious.
\

Yum! I love buffalo wings. The only things I hate is the mess it creates in my oven.

Well, to be honest, there really isn't much of a mess this way at all. I line the bottom half of the broiler pan with foil, & the wings, after baking, are tossed with the sauce in a Pyrex bowl.

I leave the top half the broiler pan to soak overnight, & by tomorrow morning it will take just a minute or two to clean at most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom