Dinner for 4 - ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdiprincess

Senior Cook
Ok...so we're having some friends over on Sunday. I am definitely making ham and potato soup (cream)
I'm not sure about:
should I put veggies in the soup or on the side
if i did in it would be: carrots and celery, corns, green beans..
if on the side: carrots or corn
Then, what do I serve with it? I know I'd add a salad.
I don't want to just do cold cuts...any ideas?

and dessert: i was thinking some apple crisp...other ideas?

Thanks!

Why not just some nice crusty bread. The soup sounds great and filling along with a salad.

Being in Buffalo this time of year, a hearty soup is perfect. I agree with just adding crusty bread & throw all those veggies you mentioned into the salad. (I often add blanched green beans to salads.) Apple crisp with a good vanilla icecream sounds like a great dessert. I miss Empire apples, Granny Smith are an ok substitution but Empire are my favorite (I grew up in Syracuse, NY).

i think I'll throw some carrots, i think I'll skip the celery and put a few green beans in the soup instead. and then I think I'll do some light dinner rolls and a few cheeses.. Maybe the cheeses that I use in the soup to incorporate the flavor a bit more.
Either way, I'm gonna make some stock out of the ham bone and use some of the stock to cook the potatoes in and then reserve that for the soup. I think that'll get a good ham flavor in there.
And then apple crisp for dessert. it is one of my favorite desserts to make (and eat...) :)
any ideas on wine selection?
Thanks for the ideas...

Ok...so we're having some friends over on Sunday. I am definitely making ham and potato soup (cream)
I'm not sure about:
should I put veggies in the soup or on the side
if i did in it would be: carrots and celery, corns, green beans..
if on the side: carrots or corn
Then, what do I serve with it? I know I'd add a salad.
I don't want to just do cold cuts...any ideas?

and dessert: i was thinking some apple crisp...other ideas?

Thanks!

I like to grate a carrot or two for potato soup, and put it in with the chopped onion and a little bacon grease to cook in the pot. If you want to include celery, put it in at that time. You could put a little canned or frozen corn in at the last...I think that would be very good, as long as you don't overdo it.
Grilled cheese sandwiches, plain or fancy, are great with potato soup. I don't think you need anything else except the apple crisp.

If you do want to serve a salad, I'd make it small and simple, and do it as a first course or an appetizer. A few room temperature canned asparagus spears, with a pimento laid across the middle like a ribbon, laid on a pretty leaf of lettuce and drizzled with Catalina dressing, is a nice tidbit to start with.

Or you could wrap a few blanched or canned asparagus spears with a thin slice of deli ham, top with your favorite cheese, and run under the broiler until the cheese melts.

If you're intent on making a balanced meal, instead of a salad, you could offer a vegetable tray with a Ranch or French onion dip as an appetizer.

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom