Dinner for Friday, November 2nd, All Souls day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i'm working another double, :neutral:, so i'm either going to pick up sushi or thai tonight. it depends on how work goes.
i'm gonna rush home on my dinner hour -ish :angel:, and give my boy his bath, then it's book time and a cuppa milk as per our normal routine, and fly back to work 'till the witching hour.

i'm trying to get some ideas for what to make tomorrow. i have some hot italian sausage, chicken thighs, and snow crab that needs to be cooked. i was thinking of a paella like dish, but all i have is brown basmati, arborio, and a basmati mix with dried veggies. not sure if one of them would work.

has anyone cooked orange lentils before? do they retain their color when cooked? i'm thinking of going with the 3 aforementioned proteins with the lentils. will be searching for recipes.

soooo, whatcha cookin' or eatin' this evening?

awwwww - at least you get to have that highlight in your day BT - I have the image in my mind - sweet, sweet, sweet!

What's for dinner? Not a clue yet but it will probably be purchased out tonight.

I am cooking for a friend that just had hand surgery. Todays menu Chek pork roast in a cream/mustard sauce(very mild) with carrots, potatoes and dumplings. Simple iceberg lettuce with sweetened mayo. Dessert is still up in the air....

She has some isuues with anything spicy so it will be a comfort food dinner.

lol, well, it was a 50/50 shot, elfie.

screw the gas, tolls, and wear and tear getting home and back. i wouldn't miss this for the world:

ryanbath1sp5.jpg

jeff, you could always go with finger sandwiches, and a hearts of palm salad for your friend...:rolleyes:

how about pickled pig's knuckles?

no?, ok, nevermind..:cool:

BT,
your little one is precious and is more handsome by the day.
kadesma:)

has anyone cooked orange lentils before? do they retain their color when cooked? i'm thinking of going with the 3 aforementioned proteins with the lentils. will be searching for recipes.

The orange lentils I had retain some of their color but do get a bit darker/more muted when cooked. I'd say they were more of an orangish-brownish-tan (sounds delicious, eh?!?:rolleyes:). If you add any kind of sauce or juice from your meats, I'd say you'll loose most color. Just my 2 cents....

We're finishing up some leftover garlic chicken and I think I'll make a pan of homemade mac and cheese. Dessert is the last of the Edy's Samoa ice cream (think those wonderful Samoa Girl Scout Cookies!). It's amazing ice cream!:pig::)

thanks pab. i figured as much, about the color.
i wonder if there's a method of prep that helps retain color, like an ice bath does with greens. or maybe a chemical process would work, as how acidulated water to prevents oxidation from sliced or peeled stuff.

anyone? buehler?

i think i'll make the crab legs seperate, and make the lentils with the chicken and sausage. i have shiitakes rehydrating, and some shallots; maybe the last of the zucchini will all go in.

i'm working another double, :neutral:, so i'm either going to pick up sushi or thai tonight. it depends on how work goes.
i'm gonna rush home on my dinner hour -ish :angel:, and give my boy his bath, then it's book time and a cuppa milk as per our normal routine, and fly back to work 'till the witching hour.

i'm trying to get some ideas for what to make tomorrow. i have some hot italian sausage, chicken thighs, and snow crab that needs to be cooked. i was thinking of a paella like dish, but all i have is brown basmati, arborio, and a basmati mix with dried veggies. not sure if one of them would work.

soooo, whatcha cookin' or eatin' this evening?

Paella is one of my fave dishes on the planet. In a pinch you could pick up a Spanish rice mix. (I have a quickie recipe with marinated artichoke hearts, clams? etc.). Posted a recipe for tomato paella, if you have a chance try a search. Very yummy. Off topic - heard the writers walked out on strike. Hope it doesn't effect anyone here.

I have a hankering for butternut squash-filled ravioli w a butter sage sauce (food network & posted here), or double spaghetti squash (spaghetti squash & spaghetti) with parmesan, butter, garlic and herbs. And, there's one more slice of pumpkin pie & whipped cream I need to finish off. I may stop at my fave thai place again & pick up their pad thai noodle & garlic shrimp & save the squash ravioli for tomorrow. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
I am cooking for a friend that just had hand surgery. Todays menu Chek pork roast in a cream/mustard sauce(very mild) with carrots, potatoes and dumplings. Simple iceberg lettuce with sweetened mayo. Dessert is still up in the air....

She has some isuues with anything spicy so it will be a comfort food dinner.
Hey Jeff, my hand hurts, too.

lol, well, it was a 50/50 shot, elfie.

screw the gas, tolls, and wear and tear getting home and back. i wouldn't miss this for the world:

ryanbath1sp5.jpg
That's a great photo Bt! I know how you feel! Even rushing home for 5 minutes is worth it!

I have another show tonight so we'll go out to eat afterward.
It's our big celebration party tonight so we'll be dining fancy.
Bellingham Harborside Restaurant Dinner Menu
The potato crusted halibut looks good to me.

Bucky... he gets cuter every day! You're a lucky guy!!

French dips for dinner tonight... I think....

Have some chicken marinating in balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, scallions, sugar, salt, and pepper. Will bake briefly, then finish on the countertop grill. Haven't decided on the sides yet. Buck will have his favorite candy for dessert...candy corn. This is his time of the year! The candy corn is abundant.

Have some chicken marinating in balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, scallions, sugar, salt, and pepper. Will bake briefly, then finish on the countertop grill. Haven't decided on the sides yet. Buck will have his favorite candy for dessert...candy corn. This is his time of the year! The candy corn is abundant.

Katie, tell Buck to mix some dry roasted peanuts in with his candy corn, it taste just like a "Payday" candy bar. My favorite !!

We're having Chicken cordon bleu with alfredo noodles and sweet peas. It's one of our nights home together. With our night classes (he teaches at one campus, I'm student at different campus) we don't have many nights home together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom