Dinner for Mon. 4/11/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a little carried away when I made my salad tonight, I need to start using a smaller bowl! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A giant salad, half of a stuffed red bell pepper and a side of asparagus.

I finally assembled my new gas grill and did the inaugural cook tonight. I cooked burgers for dinner. Initial reaction for the grill's performance is very good.

Congrats on your new grill, Andy! Burgers sound so good.

Kay...I LOVE German skillet dinners. :yum: Everyone's dinners sound good.

I warmed up the leftover fried chicky thigh from yesterday and had a simple green salad on the side.

Congrats on your new grill, Andy! Burgers sound so good.

Kay...I LOVE German skillet dinners. :yum: Everyone's dinners sound good.

I warmed up the leftover fried chicky thigh from yesterday and had a simple green salad on the side.

Cheryl,

Would you mind sharing your small batch fried chicken recipe/technique.

Thanks, B :flowers:

Cheryl,

Would you mind sharing your small batch fried chicken recipe/technique.

Thanks, B :flowers:

Hi B. Sure. :) I usually roast or grill chicken, but once in a while I love a good fried chicken.

For 2 or 3 chicken thighs, depending on size:
About a half cup of flour - maybe a little more. I mix in a good amount of S and P, and about a tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Penzeys. LOL. :yum: You could use whatever you like, I just happen to like that blend.

I put the flour mix in a plastic bag and shake the chicken in it, put the chicken in an egg wash, then back in the seasoned flour to coat. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, so the flour mixture adheres to the chicken.

Hot cast iron pan, enough melted Crisco shortening to come up about halfway up the sides of the chicken, fry skin side down until nice and brown, turn, and fry the other side. I fry it uncovered, except for the spatter screen. Takes about 15 minutes or so. Drain on paper towels or a rack.

It's pretty much how I remember my grandma frying chicken, except she probably just used s and p back then. It was still delicious. :yum:

Last edited:
Hi B. Sure. :) I usually roast or grill chicken, but once in a while I love a good fried chicken.

About a half cup of flour - maybe a little more. I mix in a good amount of S and P, and about a tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Penzeys. LOL. :yum: You could use whatever you like, I just happen to like that blend.

I put the flour mix in a plastic bag and shake the chicken in it, put the chicken in an egg wash, then back in the seasoned flour to coat. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, so the flour mixture adheres to the chicken.

Hot cast iron pan, enough melted Crisco shortening to come up about halfway up the sides of the chicken, fry skin side down until nice and brown, turn, and fry the other side. I fry it uncovered, except for the spatter screen. Takes about 15 minutes or so. Drain on paper towels or a rack.

It's pretty much how I remember my grandma frying chicken, except she probably just used s and p back then. It was still delicious. :yum:

Thank you!!!

I'm glad to see you still use Crisco! I grew up with Crisco for pie crust and certain types of cookies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPhlOVtUD8

It's been soooo long since I made fried chicken ... DH would go nuts ;)

My mom made it pretty much that way, except she used S&P, poultry seasoning and regular paprika (there was no smoked available back then, afaik).

You're very welcome, B! :wub:

Ahhh....the wonderful Loretta...I just love her! I saw her on "The Big Interview" with Dan Rather the other night. I had forgotten about that commercial until you posted it. Yes, Crisco shortening is the way to go for certain things. Frying chicken, and snickerdoodles cookies come to mind. :chef::)

It's been soooo long since I made fried chicken ... DH would go nuts ;)

My mom made it pretty much that way, except she used S&P, poultry seasoning and regular paprika (there was no smoked available back then, afaik).

I add poultry seasoning sometimes, too. I'm out now, need to add a jar to my next order. :)

Back
Top Bottom