Dinner for Monday - 5/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Easy Night in the Kitchen -
Burgers & Rice under Chili from the Freezer... Cut Green Beans with Bacon Bits.........

Burgers, Chili  with Rice.jpg

and so I said to myself... "self, don't forget to take a picture when the table is set." and of course, I did... forget.:rolleyes:

I made the william sonoma Provolone & Pancetta Stuffed Chicken Breasts.

Positively delish but a nightmare to stuff. Won't try to 'pocket stuff' them next time but flatten more and roulade.

multi-coloured peppers, snap peas and rice along side.

and so I said to myself... "self, don't forget to take a picture when the table is set." and of course, I did... forget.:rolleyes:

Positively delish but a nightmare to stuff. Won't try to 'pocket stuff' them next time but flatten more and roulade.

Next time, consider chopping up the filling. It may be easier to stuff.

I like that thinking dragn of roulade, but ...

Next time, consider chopping up the filling. It may be easier to stuff.

... I agree with Andy, chop the filling up a bit smaller and ensure that the opening is sufficient ... I probably could have mentioned that :blush:
But oh so tasty ... note to self, make this dish again! OH, and I always make multiples for leftovers and/or sandwiches ;)

There were enough leftovers for one person, so I let Himself have them. I made a two-egg mushroom and spinach omelet with Swiss cheese for myself and paired it with an orange.

Well, it is 4 hours later and I will admit that perhaps I 'flattened' the breasts a bit more than the 1/2" required, which of course made the pockets get pierced.
Got these at Walmart and they were HUGE, removed tenders but obviously did not do a good job of flattening. Or maybe by removing the tenders I screwed it up somehow. :ermm:

Then of course, the pancetta was tiny but the provolone was in slices and I left them that way. I thought I could put the pancetta down the centre of the provolone, roll it and slide it in the pocket. In theory - a great idea - too bad it didn't work, at least, not for me.

so by the time I had 'stuffed' them I realized they were not going to 'bread' well. I folded them up and tied into bundles. Worked like a charm.

Thicker than recipe so fried them up to brown and finished in the oven at 350. Neat bundles, tasty, moist, DELISH!

EVERYONE'S meal sound and look terrific!

I made Sweet Italian Sausage, sautéed with fresh Kale, Garlic, Sweet White Onions, Olive Oil, White Wine and a grate or three of fresh Nutmeg.
Covered the pan and let everything meld and soften the Kale ... all served over Whole Wheat Penne Pasta with grated Parm and a drizz of more Olive Oil.
Italian Bread for sopping everything up and I wound up with three servings, so there's lunch!

No photo, sorry, I was hungry :yum:

I have tried making a pocket in meat more than once. It's a pain in the arse. Last time was chicken breasts stuffed with Boursin and then wrapped in bacon and baked. It was still a PITA. I swore that I would do the roulade another time. I just want to cover the ends, so the filling doesn't ooze out.

Tonight I baked a store bought, beef tourtière. I made a salad of baby rainbow chard, sorrel, tatsoi, Boston lettuce, thinly sliced shallots, sliced almonds, frozen, tiny peas, and frozen corn niblets. Used the vinaigrette that I made a few days ago for the week. We also had potatoes and gravy.

Stirling's plate, before he added gravy.

PXL_20210510_225751907 small.jpg

My plate, with the potato peeled. I do that because most of the solanine (which aggravates my arthritis) is in the peel and just below the peel (and lots in any green bits).

PXL_20210510_230136263 small.jpg

I have tried making a pocket in meat more than once. It's a pain in the arse. Last time was chicken breasts stuffed with Boursin and then wrapped in bacon and baked. It was still a PITA. I swore that I would do the roulade another time. I just want to cover the ends, so the filling doesn't ooze out.

I just remembered something. Instead of rolling the roulade, fold it. Spread the filling on 2/3 of the flattened meat. Now, fold the 1/3 that doesn't have any of the filling over the part that does have filling and then fold 1/3, from the other end over the whole thing. Might have to adjust the exact length of the folds. That way, you get something with three layers of meat and it won't be outrageously thick. This is how a "rullepølse" (Danish for rolled sausage) is done, though there might be more folds. But, the idea is to fold, rather than roll, so you get a more or less rectangular cross section. Fold it up before putting any filling, to see if it is about the right thickness. Then unfold and put the filling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom