Dinner for one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ally

Assistant Cook
My parents will be gone for a week and i'll b alone :angel::LOL:. Having a hard time to come up wif a meal for one...does anyone have recipes thats fast n easy/simple??? I dun want to be cooking n washing n ending up too tired to eat:(.

Not sure what your likes and dislikes are, but when I make dinner just for myself it's shrimp, scallions, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, red and green bell peppers, red pepper flakes to add some heat, garlic, parmesan cheese, all serve over spaghetti, and drizzled with a bit of oil ( I use canolla). It quick, easy, and tasty.

Hi Ally,

There are two of us here and believe me it is not easy to cook for one or two.

We often cook as if the Army was coming to the house and eat leftovers for, well, a heck of a long time.

But that was not your question.

Agree with Amber, we have no idea what you like or do not.

But a few ideas come to mind.

Veal. Go to the store and buy thsoe thinly cut cutlets.

Bread them (the flour, egg, and brreadcrumb routine) and saute.

Can then deglace the pan with some white wine, or vinegar, or chicken stock, and add some sliced mushrooms, a bit of oregano, and a bit of garlic if you like it.

Or make a tomato based sauce. Add some crushed, or whole (you can always crush them) to the dish.

Or a frittata, one of our favorites. There is little better.

Or pasta, you can add anything to pasta. Toss in some veggies and a bit of an Asian sauce.

You are on your own.

Make what you like. You do not have any culinary constraints for the next week.

But if you let people know what you like there are far better cooks here than we, and am sure they will help you out.

i like the sound of spaghetti with shrimps, mushrooms and bell pepers....i love pastas :-p. But tis got me thinking....what do i like???? I basically try everything. I'm chinese but i like western food too.

I LOVE cooking for one. Since my husband doesn't eat any red meat, when he's not going to be home for dinner, I go on a meat frenzy - lol!!

Marinated steak with a baked potato & garlic-sauteed spinach, Lamb Vindaloo curry with lentil dahl (he doesn't like lentils either), or if I'm in the mood for seafood - shad roe, bluefish, or mackeral (also items he doesn't like).

I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I just have to worry about my own dinner - lol!!!!

Have you ever made anything en papillote? It's like a simple one dish meal cooked in parchment parcels. I like making them when I am cooking for just myself because you get a whole meal without having to spend a long time cooking. (this is good for school nights when I'm tired from the day of courses)

Basically just take some veggies of your choice and chop them up. (baby carrots, onions, mushrooms and green beans are good choices) Lay them in the center of a medium sized rectangle of parchment paper that is on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and any herbs of your choice. Lay a piece of fish (salmon is nice en papillote, as is haddock or any other white fish) on top of the veggies and again, season as you like. Then put a couple dollops of butter on top of everything and fold the parchment paper closed, twisting the ends a bit so everything is sealed nicely. Bake at 450 for about 9-12 minutes depending on the fish. (for salmon, it takes about 9 minutes in my oven)

When its done remove it from the oven, cut open the parchment and serve as is! (careful of the steam though) You can eat it straight out of the parchment package - so simple and easy and there are very few dishes involved. (which is always a good thing...LOL)

When I lived alone I would just toss cooked pasta and random vegetables in a pan with some butter and herbs. These days I don't eat as well when my hubby's not home. I really should go back to my old habits.

when i lived alone, i used to cook for myself a lot. it was pretty much how i learned to cook. since i didn't have to worry about anyone else eating my creations, i experimented often, learning thru mistakes along the way.

like breezy and grumble mentioned, a marinated (evoo, chopped garlic) broiled steak, a nuked potato, and a can of peas was a good meal. also, fish filets cooked in a foil pouch with butter, lemon, and herbs was easy and tasty, and cleanup was easy.

a ham "steak", put into a skillet with just enough water to cover, and brought to a simmer is another quick and easy meal, served with a side of rice and steamed veggies.

stuff a whole small fish, such as trout or red snapper, with sliced veggies, herbs, and evoo. rub the skin with evoo, bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until cooked thru and the meat flakes away from the bones.

one of my all time faves is veal and peppers. just cut up a veal shoulder chop into large chunks, brown in evoo, and add to a pot with a large can of crushed tomatoes. brown some onion and garlic; slice green peppers into strips, add to pot. simmer on very low for about 2 hours.
you could make this as chicken cacciatore instead by substituting chicken legs and thighs (cut in half) for the veal, and add a large handful f sliced mushrooms.

hope this helps.

I find a great way to avoid dishes is by using the grill. If you have one, that is. Another thing I like is dishes that need to bake, so that I can do clean up before I sit down to eat. Things like baked pasta, enchiladas, lasagna, or even searing meat in the skillet and finishing it in the oven.

buckytom, that's true, that's how I learned to cook too! I moved out of my parents' house when I was 16, and all I could make was spaghetti! :LOL:
I was vegetarian at the time so I can't help much with meat recipes. At the time, dishes didn't bother me because they were always one pan or pot, one plate, one glass and two utensils! Now they drive me absolutely crazy... I do dishes night and day! Argh!

One day I would have pasta with sauce, the next I would sauté the leftovers with some veggies. I ate a lot of rice too... but I forget what with. Omelettes maybe, or tofu? This is all ten years away...

Anyway, back on topic! One thing you could do that doesn't get many dishes dirty, is a pizza on a small pita bread. It's just the right size for one person, and all you have to do is smear it with some sauce or pesto or cover with fresh tomato slices and your favorite toppings.

Also, soup is easy to make and all you use is one pot :-p A sandwich or salad doesn't require much preparation either.

When dh isn't here, I pick up some already cooked shrimp and sometimes make a side or a baked potato and salad to go with it. Sometimes I just eat them with cocktail sauce and nothing else - just enjoy them. Also a pasta dish and add the shrimp at the last minute is really good. They are already cooked so they only have to warm up.

corazon90 said:
I find a great way to avoid dishes is by using the grill. If you have one, that is. Another thing I like is dishes that need to bake, so that I can do clean up before I sit down to eat. Things like baked pasta, enchiladas, lasagna, or even searing meat in the skillet and finishing it in the oven.

Nope..don't have a grill. Too bad my oven died on me my abt a yr ago....have been persuadin my mum to get a new one but she says we dun really use it often (which is true).:(

cooking for one is easy:
loin lamb chops: garlic and rosemary, salt and pepper, pan fry or broil, serve with couscous and green peas. total cook time 15 min.

do much the same with a salmon filet, beef filet steak, or chicken breast. herbs will differ. I like either curry or peanut sauce on salmon, and beef is great with salt pepper garlic and mushrooms deglazed with a bit of red wine.
Chicken is great with mushrooms and balsamic vinegar.

These are all quick saute meals that can be portioned for one.

Hot saute pan, drizzle olive oil or canola oil,
couscous cooks in 5 minutes
frozen peas in less time than that, or with the couscous.

also use the salad bar at the store to make a fresh single serving salad.

Steak sauce, Thai peanut sauce, other saute sauces make quick fresh cooking at home easy.

If you have a crockpot, try this pork recipe ~ put about 3-4 pounds of boneless pork ribs (sometimes they are called boneless country ribs) into your crockpot and pour your favorite barbeque sauce over the top, enough to almost cover the pork. Slice a large yellow onion and layer on top of the pork and sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until pork is tender and pulls apart easily. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. Use the left overs for pork sandwiches the next day and make a tasty coleslaw to eat with or to put in the sandwich. You can always freeze the extra pork for another day.

I'm not sure if this falls outside of the category of easy, but I like polenta and couscous. I think couscous goes better with some herbs and veggies, while I like to add spicy italian sausage to my polenta. They are good "one-pot" dishes.

I don't know if you're the sort of person who can eat the same thing for a week, but if you are then it's easy to cook a big batch of something one evening, and just eat the leftovers for the rest of the week. This works especially well with something that can be incorporated into other dishes throughout the week. Grilled chicken breast from 1 night can be combined with some bacon, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and monterrey jack cheese to make a cheesy monterrey chicken the next night, or shredded to use for chicken tacos, or an individual BBQ chicken pizza, or even a stir-fry of some variety.

Ooh! Quicker than spaghetti sauce, and no leftovers: after you cook some spaghetti, put it back in the pot. Grate some fresh tomatoes, garlic and parmesan cheese over it, mix well and season with fresh herbs. Take one minute to heat. For a pink sauce add a bit of cream.

Back
Top Bottom