Dinner Friday 11th January

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some crumbled sausage in that MsM and it would be right up my alley :yum:
Off to see the difference between rotelli and rotini (what I buy)...

My din-din
Oh my, that looks good Pac. I want to eat at your house. Did you use soba noodles for the ginger-scallion noodles?

Yeah, I had to look stuff up, 'cause I'm used to calling that pasta fusilli. Well, according to Wikipedia, fusilli is something much longer. But, I think the Italian company that makes the pasta I buy probably knows what it is called. Not saying that rotini isn't a proper name for it too.

Pastificio Felicetti - BIOLOGICO INTEGRALE - FUSILLI - Pasta Felicetti

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Oh my, that looks good Pac. I want to eat at your house. Did you use soba noodles for the ginger-scallion noodles?

Yeah, I had to look stuff up, 'cause I'm used to calling that pasta fusilli. Well, according to Wikipedia, fusilli is something much longer. But, I think the Italian company that makes the pasta I buy probably knows what it is called. Not saying that rotini isn't a proper name for it too.

Pastificio Felicetti - BIOLOGICO INTEGRALE - FUSILLI - Pasta Felicetti

Soba was on the package, that's why I bought them. I remembered from the thread... Japanese buckwheat noodles with yam Yamaimo soba is what's written on the package. Soba for short? They were kind of salty tasting raw, but I liked them better than the rice noodles I used last time. More bite to them.

I ran into fusilli, too, but couldn't find rotelli.
I remembered fusilli noodles were thinner and longer from the Seinfeld episode where Kramer made a "fusilli Jerry" figurine and George's dad sat on it. :LOL:

We're having Vegetable Lo Mein with sauteed ginger, garlic, mushrooms, and scallions. Roasted broccoli on the side.

Nice looking pictures tonight guys!

We had English Cumberland Sausages that Steve finally found after searching online. I served them on a bed of kale/onions/cubed potatoes along with English mustard on the side, and toasted buttered English muffins.

Thank you everyone.

Everyone's meals look and sound wonderful.

To me:
Rotelli is short fat, VERY tight, curly cork screws about 1 - 1.5 inch.
Rotini longer loser twists about 2 - 2.5 inch.
Fusili lose twists the length of spaghetti.
My family used fusilli with a seafood sauce. Usually a red sauce with cleaned crab (in shell, bodies and claws separated) thrown in raw and cooked in the sauce.

Fusilli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are also links for other pastas here as well. It shows fusilli (what I know it to be) and states rotini and fusilli are not the same. :)
Yeah, but who wrote the stuff on Wikipedia? I trust the company in Italy to know what they are called. Maybe there are regional differences in the names - even in North America. ;) Maybe rotini and fusilli aren't the same. Maybe there's a difference that I don't see. Okay, this is what Wikipedia says about rotini, "Rotini is a type of helix- or corkscrew-shaped pasta. The name is supposed to derive from the Italian for twists, but the word "rotini" does not exist in Italian. It is related to fusilli, but has a tighter helix, i.e. with a smaller pitch."

So, the rotini is smaller with a tighter pitch. But, no where in the article does it give the Italian name. In the Wikipedia list of pasta, it calls the long ones "fusilli lungho" and the short ones "fusilli".

According to Cook's Thesaurus: Pasta Shapes,

fusillilong.jpg
"fusilli col buco = fusilli bucati lunghi Notes: This is a long version of the spring-shaped fusilli."

Where is Luca when we need him?

This can be confusing. The first two photos were taken from the same site. They are the same photo but one was identified as fusilli and the other as rotini.

The third photo is more commonly identified as fusilli.

I would say the first two pics are of rotini (spiral with a solid core) while the third pic is fusilli (spiral like a corkscrew - no core). But I have no guarantee this is close to correct.

Attachments

• fusilli.jpg
    fusilli.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 9,787
  • rotini.jpg
    rotini.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 413
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 277
I've only seen rotini, but I buy my pasta by the box; Barilla or one of them.

Yeah, but who wrote the stuff on Wikipedia?

Oh, I don't claim to believe everything (or even half of everything) Wiki says. I was just using it as a reference for what I know as fusilli. From the pictures Andy showed, I would call the top two rotini and the bottom one fusilli. I also do not claim to be an expert. I did some of my apprenticing in an organic pasta restaurant but I was prepping everything but the pasta! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom