Dinner Monday, 11-14-2016 ~ Monday meet-up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay, so I'm a bit excited. After Himself was such a good sport about meeting tinlizzie for lunch this past week, we will both be meeting Got Garlic and her hubby tonight! We'll all decide where to go for dinner once Himself and I get to their home. ~ Dinner details later!

My daughter has her cooking day and we are having Oven baked falukorv ( yeap that sausage from Falun again) with macaronis. The kid needs to start some where when it comes to cooking and falukorv is an easy ingredient to play around with.

Can't decide--spent Sunday evening cutting up a deer. Liver and onions? Venison filet Mignon wrapped in bacon? Tenderloin steaks? Heart? Which cut to cook first...LOVE having venison in the freezer. And, it was really nice that a caregiver's partner and son came out to hunt with my 85 yr. old Dad, cleaned the deer, etc. All my Dad's hunting buddies have died, so it was nice that they took him out hunting. Given my Dad's age, he could shoot either--doe or buck. He was happy that it only took one shot. Eagle eye.

Okay, so I'm a bit excited. After Himself was such a good sport about meeting tinlizzie for lunch this past week, we will both be meeting Got Garlic and her hubby tonight! We'll all decide where to go for dinner once Himself and I get to their home. ~ Dinner details later!

I'm excited, too! Can't wait to meet you in person! :mrgreen:

Breakfast was Maple and brown sugar oatmeal with raisins and blackstrap molasses added.

Not sure lunch yet but probably baby greens salad with tuna on top.

Dinner plan - I have a whole cut up chicken thawing. I'm thinking of putting 1 breast and the wings aside for chicken and dumplings or pot pie.
The other pieces I will roast with green pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, burgundy wine, herbs, spices and crushed tomatoes.

Last edited:

Oh, what fun!

We'll probably have the disappointing leftover chicken chop suey from yesterday's takeout. I'll see what I can do to doctor it up. Needs bean sprouts.

Last edited:

Have fun!

Beautiful day here for mid-November. Sunny and it got up to the low 60's this afternoon. Spent most of the day outside - bike ride and yard work, so it will be an easy dinner. Grilled boneless chicken breasts in some bottled marinade (haven't decided which one), buttered red potatoes, broc.

First time for us with congee. It's a definite make again. Broth was flavored with star anise, cinnamon, ginger and onions. Used leftover chicken chopped up. Topped with sauteed shitake mushrooms, fried red onion strings and fresh cilantro. Hot sauce on the side if wanted. Youtiao was pretty good too, though the oil wasn't quite hot enough for the first batch (eyeballed it), but the 2nd and 3rd batches were just like the recipe pictures and description.

First time for us with congee. ... Youtiao was pretty good too, ....

All I could think of when I saw the word congee was ... eel ! LOL also had to look up Youtiao..

So you had rice slurry and doughnuts for supper? :ROFLMAO:

Very brave but actually I would LOVE to try them! The Youtiao sound a bit difficult thou.

All I could think of when I saw the word congee was ... eel ! LOL also had to look up Youtiao..

Very brave but actually I would LOVE to try them! The Youtiao sound a bit difficult thou.

:ROFLMAO: Congee reminded me of eel too!

How fun, CG and GG! Have a great visit!

I'm exhausted from a seriously busy day today. Spent most of the day(starting at 7:30AM) at a disabled friend's home helping her wrap a boatload of Christmas presents, and doing other little chores for her. Took a break at 11:30 to take lunch to a neighbor who recently had a stroke. Went back to my friend's for the afternoon and finished up most of the wrapping.... then went back to my neighbor's to take dinner and check up on him and his wife. Their daughter has been doing lunches and dinners for them, but she just had surgery so is out of commission for the next few days.

It's not even 6PM and I'm so ready for bed! Need to eat something though, so I think I'll fry up a few pieces of bacon, scramble some eggs, toast some sourdough, and call it good. Maybe after dinner and a glass of wine or two I'll get my second wind. :ermm::LOL:

Oh good grief, Cheryl! What a kind and generous person you are. :wub:

Thank you Dawg...but honestly, it just happened to all come down on the same day! :ohmy::ermm::LOL:
(*turning down my phone tonight and sleeping in till late-thirty tomorrow....)

DH and I had a wonderful evening getting together with Cooking Goddess and Himself for drinks and dinner tonight! :heart: Our first choice restaurant was more full than I expected :( so we drove down the street to another favorite and had a great time.

DH and I both had rockfish and chips - the rockfish, aka striped, bass was delicious and perfectly cooked. CG and Himself both had shrimp & grits and said they were good. Funny how each couple ended up having the same thing :LOL: DH puts malt vinegar on his and, while I'm a vinegar fiend, I'm not fond of that one, so I get my own fish ;)

So, yummy meals, and a fun time, were had by all!

Attachments

• 1479187505593.jpg
    1479187505593.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 1479187528039.jpg
    1479187528039.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
We settled for venison liver with carmelized onions, bacon, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. Still have to process the rest of the meat, did mostly stew meat today and the backstrap. Decided to make that into medallions wrapped with bacon. Those are in the freezer. The remaining meat will be steaks and roasts. I will probably end up with some more stew meat, too. Love "wild cow" as my Mom calls it.

It WAS a good time tonight, wasn't it GG? The fact that our hubbies got along so well was a wonderful bonus. :heart:

Guess I don't have to tell you what we ate since GG beat me to it. Himself had mentioned that he had never had shrimp and grits. Um, no, I've made it once. Back in April (I checked my photos ;) ). The reason he didn't remember was because I served mine with a scoop of rice in the middle (tonight's were with grits) and I had more "stuff" - sausage, chicken, okra. A true N'awlin's version. Tonight's was yummy in its own way. :yum:

Danged photo never uploaded. :huh: Imagine large shrimp in a big puddle of cheesy grits sauce. Top with frizzled onion rings. THAT was dinner!

Sort of, except the bread wasn't sweet and it was more like a fancied up chicken and rice stoup (stew/soup). The youtiao wasn't hard, just a time eater but most of that time was in the mixer and sitting. It was kind of fun watching them puff up like they did when the oil finally got to the correct temp. I'll actually use the thermometer next time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom