Dinner Monday 1st July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dinde en bleu (I brined a turkey, couldn't find the frozen cranberries, tossed blueberries in the brine instead--voila--the skin has purplish tinge to it-so blue turkey...haven't decided if I'm going to fire up the smoker or not yet. Weather's a bit iffy). For starters I'm making a Chard soup roughly based on these two recipes:
http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/vegetarian-chard-soup/

and

Herb, Chard, and Feta Soup Recipe: Bon Appétit

(I'm going to add the Greek yogurt to it, top with mint)
. Sides are baked potatoes, blueberry salsa (unless I find the cranberries), green beans (working on emptying the freezer before harvest season begins), and dessert is homemade curried apple ice cream (roasted the apples, made apple sauce, added some of my friend's homemade Hyderabad curry powder--which is amazing).

Last edited:
Our visiting daughter has a girlfriend who has a pizza place nearby so we're going there for dinner tonight.

No idea yet. We may have the gluten free pizza we have put off for a couple of nights, but if it is as hot at dinner as it was yesterday, probably more grilling will happen - if I can get some nice steaks or ribs maybe?

I have some chicken thighs I thawed yesterday. Haven't decided how to fix them yet, but we will have a green salad with dinner tonight.

I picked up some Pillsbury pizza dough at the store. I'm too lazy to make my own this week. Have some sauce in the freezer so we'll do some pizza tonight. Still have enough lettuce to have salads with it.

Thanks to Whisk's Friday post we'll be having French Dip sandwiches. :yum: I'll make salads and baked potato wedges as go-withs. Still trying to think of what seasonings I want to put on the potatoes...

Thanks to Whisk's Friday post we'll be having French Dip sandwiches. :yum: I'll make salads and baked potato wedges as go-withs. Still trying to think of what seasonings I want to put on the potatoes...

O good. Thanks for sharing an answer to my own unstated question. I still have leftover au jus and was wondering how many days since I made it. I used a can of Campbell's soup beef broth, as I only wanted a small amount, cooked some onion Slices in butter until soft, added some smashed garlic for another minute or two, finished with a little worcestshire, a crank of pepper then add the broth to simmer. I wish I could make the onions so they were more like fried onions, but it's the flavor I wanted to capture.

I bought more rare deli roast beef today. I like it when they shave it very thin. French Dip sandwiches re-play for supper. Yay. I also made a Small potato salad ( 2 potatoes, one egg). By the time I add a few chopped veggies, I hope it won't be too much. Enought for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow is really all I want. Right now anyway.

Last edited:
After yesterday's epic Poutine Pizza fat-a-palooza, we decided to go healthy tonight. Enjoying the beautiful weather out on the deck with a super simple dinner of chili-glazed grilled chicken breasts, broccoli with parmesan, and a nice South African rosé.

img_1279317_0_bf729128cc7adcd9a6908ee82760135e.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful dinner, Steve!

Still hot down here too Bunny! Once again I used my grill basket for mixed marinated veggies (onion wedges, zucchini and portabella chunks, 3 colors of bell peppers) fire grilled. I honestly could eat that every single day, hot or cold.
I also did some bone in, skin on, chicky thighs, grilled to perfection if I do say so myself. :chef:

O good. Thanks for sharing an answer to my own unstated question. I still have leftover au jus and was wondering how many days since I made it. I used a can of Campbell's soup beef broth, as I only wanted a small amount, cooked some onion Slices in butter until soft, added some smashed garlic for another minute or two, finished with a little worcestshire, a crank of pepper then add the broth to simmer....

We must be "connected". :) But oops, I forgot the Woowoowooshire sauce. That's OK, put the leftover soup & onions in a small crock and will bake with toasted bread and cheese for a fake French Onion soup thing.

The French Dip sandwich was GOOD! Easy-peasy supper for anyone who might be interested. I skipped the potatoes though; figured we were getting more than enough carbs with the ciabatta bread. But it was yummy Whisk! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom