Dinner Monday, 2-1-2016 ~ Is it February ALREADY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Dinner has been bubbling in the slow cooker since early this afternoon - a Cooking Light recipe for Ropa Vieja. Smells good, but we'll see what we think of it when we eat it. Smelling it, I finally realized it's basically "pepper steak" - and we aren't exactly "pepper steak" kind of people. :LOL:

We'll lay it on a bed of Carolina Gold rice. Maybe I'll make a salad, too. No guarantee - it's a bit of a lazy day for me again. :)

What you havin'?

Groundhogs Day Eve

60 degrees in northern New England - amazing! Took the good road bike out along the ocean route. Usually it's the beater this time of year, if I can even get out.

Marinated steak tips on the grill, roasted brussel sprouts, and well roasted sweet potatoes.

It has been strangely warm lately, tenspeed. Like your revised title for the thread, BTW. ;)

We really enjoyed tonight's "Old Clothes". :LOL: It certainly wasn't anything like we remembered "pepper steak" to be. Himself said I can make it again. Maybe once a year, since I have so many recipes I can put into rotation. Oy!

Attachments

• 2016-02-01 19.14.45.jpg
    2016-02-01 19.14.45.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 169
I wanted to make a ham and potato casserole covered with a white cheese sauce, but I can't find any recipes. So as soon as the ham thaws, I guess I'm going to try to wing it. What's worse is I don't have any milk or cream or cheese. All I have is powdered buttermilk. Hmmm...maybe I can make a roux with the powdered buttermilk. Well, this is certainly going to be interesting.

Or maybe I should wait till tomorrow and pick up some milk, cream, sour cream, and cheese and just have a ham sandwich for tonight. It's tempting......

OK, forget it, I think I'm going to have marinated pork chops again over rice. That was pretty good last time and they're thawed. I have some Rice-a-Roni from a box I accidentally opened. I'll keep the seasoning for who knows what reason and just use the rice.

Craig made eggplant parm. We baked the eggplant a bit before slicing, breading and frying.

I made a nice healthy stir-fry tonight. Well, healthy-ish. I cooked spinach with Trader Joe's frozen rice, black beans, cauliflower, and meatless beef strips. It came out pretty good.

I volunteered to help provide dinner to the new master gardener class, so I had dinner there tonight. We had four people on the hospitality committee - one made chicken salad sliders, one made ham & cheese rolleyes, one made potato salad and I made a salad with romaine, spring mix, cucumbers, carrots and dried cranberries + red-wine vinaigrette.

We also each made dessert. I made a pumpkin sheet cake in cupcake size. It didn't work as well as I hoped it would - the tops sank a bit. But the flavor was good. I topped them with orange glaze and flower sprinkles.

My hosts wished for polenta. Our friend who is here also, has never had polenta.

Mamma and I made polenta under of the bed with very nice Italian sausages. These were sliced very nicely upon it.

Joyce made her nice grilled cauliflower wrapped of bacon and we had corn and green beans and so very much ice cream of our dessert!

Dinner has been bubbling in the slow cooker since early this afternoon - a Cooking Light recipe for Ropa Vieja. Smells good, but we'll see what we think of it when we eat it. Smelling it, I finally realized it's basically "pepper steak" - and we aren't exactly "pepper steak" kind of people. :LOL:

We'll lay it on a bed of Carolina Gold rice. Maybe I'll make a salad, too. No guarantee - it's a bit of a lazy day for me again. :)

What you havin'?

So, did you like it? This is our TNT for Ropa Vieja, recipe came from a Cuba. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/old-clothes-70177.html It doesn't smell like pepper steak to me at all.

Never mind, brain is not firing on all cylinders yet, caffeine hasn't kicked in. Didn't even see your followup post and picture CG.

So, did you like it? This is our TNT for Ropa Vieja, recipe came from a Cuba...

Never mind, brain is not firing on all cylinders yet, caffeine hasn't kicked in. Didn't even see your followup post and picture CG.
No problem - my brain miss-fires a lot! :LOL:

Thanks for linking over your recipe. I compared it to the one I used. Funny that it used bay leaves. As I was eating last night I kept thinking "I should have tossed in a bay leaf or two". I'll definitely do that in the future, along with draining off some of the tomato juice and adding the sherry. I think I'll stick with the olives instead of using pimento. We really liked the "pop" of the salty little devils.

Back
Top Bottom