Dinner Monday 22nd April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-2815649401.jpg

Only for scuba divers, or can we snorkelers get 'em too? Is the taste similar to regular lobster, Craig?

Hmm. May have to check out some Gulf waters.

Last edited:
Looks quite nice :)

We had "stuffed" Mirlitons.:yum:

The mirlitons were peeled, seeded and simmered in a quick shrimp stock made from the shells of the shrimp used in the sauce.

36788-albums799-picture5472.jpg

The stuffing was made with the trinity, spices, fresh bread crumbs and chopped mirliton. Sauteed until carmelized.

36788-albums799-picture5474.jpg

Finally, a cream sauce, rich with crab and royal red shrimp.

36788-albums799-picture5473.jpg

:)

View attachment 17748

Only for scuba divers, or can we snorkelers get 'em too? Is the taste similar to regular lobster, Craig?

Hmm. May have to check out some Gulf waters.

If you happen to see them. They aren't as easy to find as the regular lobster that have antennae that stick out from their hidey holes, nor are they as prevelant. We used to dive a LOT, 2-4 dives per day every Saturday and Sunday and they were a very rare find/treat on the Atlantic side. And we were always hunting when we dove, we carried spear guns and lobster hunting gear (in season of course). I haven't dove much on the Gulf side, only in the Tortugas on a liveaboard a couple of times, and it's been a while since Craig has dove over there unless he's talked to one of his buddies about how prevelant they are now.

Be very proud of yourself if you find one. Craig was a very good hunter when we met and taught me and I became excellent at spotting and pretty good at catching lobster. I usually let him take the shot at fish because I never really learned to judge size (legal limits) and he was a better shot anyway, though I did get a few good ones over the years. We rarely came back with nothing. Even the crew on the liveaboards were impressed with our hunting skills and said something about how we always came back with something, usually a lot of somethings, compared to their other guests. And we still only found shovelnoses on the rare occasions.

As best I can describe it, they have a richer taste than the Caribbean lobster, though still nowhere as rich as a Maine lobster. My favorite way to eat them was chopped up into nuggets and then a quick sautee in butter. Yummy!

They have been available locally since I started buying them. The last ones I bought were wild caught from Argentina, individually quick frozen, without heads in 2 lb bags. They have a texture and taste that reminds me of shovel-nosed lobster.:yum:

Frozen in a bag? :ohmy:
That sounds like something I'd be limited to buying :LOL:
Although I'm pretty sure nothing from Argentina would make it into my area. It would probably go right past Pennsylvania on its way to NYC or Boston ;)

That cream sauce looks and sounds fantastic.

Taco Building 101 :yum:

Attachments

• taco building.jpg
    taco building.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 174
If you happen to see them. They aren't as easy to find as the regular lobster that have antennae that stick out from their hidey holes, nor are they as prevelant. We used to dive a LOT, 2-4 dives per day every Saturday and Sunday and they were a very rare find/treat on the Atlantic side. And we were always hunting when we dove, we carried spear guns and lobster hunting gear (in season of course). I haven't dove much on the Gulf side, only in the Tortugas on a liveaboard a couple of times, and it's been a while since Craig has dove over there unless he's talked to one of his buddies about how prevelant they are now.

Be very proud of yourself if you find one. Craig was a very good hunter when we met and taught me and I became excellent at spotting and pretty good at catching lobster. I usually let him take the shot at fish because I never really learned to judge size (legal limits) and he was a better shot anyway, though I did get a few good ones over the years. We rarely came back with nothing. Even the crew on the liveaboards were impressed with our hunting skills and said something about how we always came back with something, usually a lot of somethings, compared to their other guests. And we still only found shovelnoses on the rare occasions.

As best I can describe it, they have a richer taste than the Caribbean lobster, though still nowhere as rich as a Maine lobster. My favorite way to eat them was chopped up into nuggets and then a quick sautee in butter. Yummy!

This is intriguing, Medtran. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom