Dinner Monday 22nd April 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I miss Jamie Oliver!

He had a TV cooking program some years back that I really enjoyed.

He popped up again in a program where he tried to get public school kitchens to serve the kids decent food but it was cancelled.

He met with so much resistance from school boards and school cooks who were happy with the status quo and to egotistical to consider anything he suggested.

Status quo 1, kids 0

During the week DD does the cooking while I am at work.
I bought a couple packs of stir fry veggies. One was Asian and one was basic generic (pine nuts, broccoli, bell peppers, onion, black olives, yellow and green squash). I think DD will be making the basic with bow ties pasta. I will write directions for her and cross my fingers. LOL I will reap the outcome when I get home from work.

Tonight everyone is on their own! I have Choral Society rehearsal and DH and the yungun are going to Norfolk to see a man about a car. They will not get home before I have to leave. They'll probably grab a burger while they are out and I'll have a salad here at home before rehearsal.

I wouldn't mind a good burger..there is a local chain here called Five Star Burger with outstanding burgers, but I am concentrating on eating in, these past few weeks.

Thinking dinner will include chicken, potatoes, and a green vegetable.

I won an Italian goodie basket at the porch crawl raffle yesterday, which included a package of basil-garlic polenta. I have asparagus, goat cheese and a chicken breast in the fridge that need to be used. So I'm trying to come up with a way to combine these. I think I see the grill pan coming out.

I won an Italian goodie basket at the porch crawl raffle yesterday, which included a package of basil-garlic polenta. I have asparagus, goat cheese and a chicken breast in the fridge that need to be used. So I'm trying to come up with a way to combine these. I think I see the grill pan coming out.

Well done on winning the goodie basket GG :)

I haven't made a meatloaf in a long time so I'm thinking that would be good. Mashed potato's and green beans.

Nuked nachos with too much salsa and leftover boiled shrimp. Black forbidden rice pudding.

Last edited:
We had "stuffed" Mirlitons.:yum:

The mirlitons were peeled, seeded and simmered in a quick shrimp stock made from the shells of the shrimp used in the sauce.

36788-albums799-picture5472.jpg

The stuffing was made with the trinity, spices, fresh bread crumbs and chopped mirliton. Sauteed until carmelized.

36788-albums799-picture5474.jpg

Finally, a cream sauce, rich with crab and royal red shrimp.

36788-albums799-picture5473.jpg

:)

Last edited:
royal reds were a big deal a few years ago, craig, but i haven't heard or seen much about them lately. are they really much better than the average gulf shrimp, as i've heard?

btw, that looks delicious.

and i had to look up mirliton, lol. aka chayote.

i had another good baseball practice last night. my "troubled" kid really warmed up to me last night and paid good attention to everything we did. his mom came over to me after practice and asked what we did to him this past weekend because he's been such a good kid at home. that made my night.

i stayed with him and his brother after practice for a little while before my coaches' meeting started. he pitvhed to me; his brother hit. it was fun.

when i got into work, i got some really good beef and chicken empanadas, and a side of pinto beans. either this place (empanada mamas on 9th avenue) has improved greatly, or i was just really hungry. they used to suck, but these were really good. crispy and well stuffed with the shredded beef or chicken.

Made soft shell tacos last night because I had some pre-cooked ground beef I had defrosted and needed to use. Gave up on spice packets years ago since I found a really great seasoning mix on another website (sorry DC :(). It was a little dry when I first mixed it since the meat had been frozen so I added 2 parts water to 1 part Tequila. Mmmmm, tacos.;)

royal reds were a big deal a few years ago, craig, but i haven't heard or seen much about them lately. are they really much better than the average gulf shrimp, as i've heard?

They have been available locally since I started buying them. The last ones I bought were wild caught from Argentina, individually quick frozen, without heads in 2 lb bags. They have a texture and taste that reminds me of shovel-nosed lobster.:yum:

hmm, never had shovel nosed monsters before. only maine, canadian, and down easters (all pretty much the same thing) and carribean lobsters.

how are shovel nose lobsters different?

man, i wish i could spend more time in collier and lee counties. someday, when i retire.

lol, just like a million other ny'ers. i know how much you love us... ;)

hmm, never had shovel nosed monsters before. only maine, canadian, and down easters (all pretty much the same thing) and carribean lobsters.

how are shovel nose lobsters different?

man, i wish i could spend more time in collier and lee counties. someday, when i retire.

lol, just like a million other ny'ers. i know how much you love us... ;)

They look like a giant roach. The only way you are ever going to get them is by diving. They are pretty previlant in Gulf waters.;)

Back
Top Bottom