Dinner Monday, 7-27-2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be making fresh shrimp spring rolls, chicken lettuce cups, prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe, and figs stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped with prosciutto (I have prosciutto that needs to be used ;) ). Will probably follow that up with fresh peaches and blueberries topped with a bit of ice cream, chased down with ice tea. Can you tell I'm feeling the heat? :LOL:

Have plans? Do tell.

I'm marinating some chicken thighs that I will grill (or broil if it's raining) and have that and a salad for dinner.

Still too hot and humid to heat up the kitchen...my plan was to make chicken with soy caramel, sautéed veggies with lemon grass, etc. on rice noodles two ways, but even that is too much. Besides, I am out of fresh ginger. Cold Cucumber soup it is with a salad.

Not entirely hungry although I could be in another hour or two.

Dinner choices are frizzled deli ham and melted jarlsberg swiss open face on English muffins or a big salad with sliced ham and cheese, toms, cukes, zukes, onion, radishes, olives and what all is in the crisper. I think the salad. It's easy to shake up a vinaigrette and I think it's way too hot turning on the broiler for even 5 minutes and I would still make a salad to go with the sammies. So yes, big salad. Ice tea with mint.

CG, every single thing you listed for your dinner tonight has my mouth watering. :yum:

Welcome to DC, aleciasalibi! The scallop recipe you posted looks and sounds delicious. Been a while since I've had scallops - I love them.

Not sure yet what I'll be having. Might be another burrito, since it was so good yesterday and I still have fixin's to use. Or maybe a loaded up salad, and freezing the rest of the refried beans and rice...

I'm using my handy dandy electric Nesco Roaster today to try and beat the heat. I'm in the process of simmering dried hominy in some chick broth and when it's half tender I'll add the rest of the ingredients for Pozole. We'll have strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Last edited:
Welcome Alecia alibi! One of the things I like to do with couscous is toast it in a hot, dry cast iron pan. I stir it as it toasts. I call it toasted when golden and fragrant--about 3-4 minutes. Toasting ups the nutty flavour. I also use hot stock instead of water. I put the toasted couscous in a glass bowl, mix in oil, cover with plastic film and let it steam in the bowl. It takes about 5 minutes (if using small couscous, not Israeli couscous).

Just finished dinner. I substituted light coconut milk for regular and cut down on the amounts of oil used to cook the scallops and couscous in. I found it really flavorful but would have liked the sauce to be a bit thicker. The recipe also makes about 10x the amount of sauce that you would need.

Welcome Alecia alibi! One of the things I like to do with couscous is toast it in a hot, dry cast iron pan. I stir it as it toasts. I call it toasted when golden and fragrant--about 3-4 minutes. Toasting ups the nutty flavour. I also use hot stock instead of water. I put the toasted couscous in a glass bowl, mix in oil, cover with plastic film and let it steam in the bowl. It takes about 5 minutes (if using small couscous, not Israeli couscous).

Thanks for the ideas! I had never made couscous before, so I followed the recipe on the box instead of the recipe and just added salt and olive oil to the water. Can't wait to begin incorporating it into more meals! :D

Rib-Eye,corn. asparagus. Heirloom tomato ,mozz salad.

img_1430215_0_ea54ac3c8ff2b64cc3a716d9e9d4ce3b.jpg

Froze up a bunch of flank steak cut into strips and wrapped them in cling wrap. I'm using one of those for Broccoli Beef using the oriental spice packet that you add some water and soy sauce to.

I'm using my handy dandy electric Nesco Roaster today to try and beat the heat. I'm in the process of simmering dried hominy in some chick broth and when it's half tender I'll add the rest of the ingredients for Pozole. We'll have strawberry shortcake for dessert.
Kayelle's brilliant idea to beat the heat was to brown the meat outside on the side burner of our BBQ.
It was delicious!!!!

One of these days we all need to caravan over to Joey's for supper. :yum: Looks good, as usual, S&P!

CG, every single thing you listed for your dinner tonight has my mouth watering. :yum:...
Thanks, Cheryl. First time working with the rice paper...and it could be my last. The spring rolls took forever to make. In fact, the whole meal took a while with all of the chopping and slicing and shredding. No wonder people from the Pacific rim tend to be skinny - they burn more calories making dinner than they consume. :blink:

My favorite thing was the baked goat cheese stuffed figs. So yummy! Besides that, they were the quickest thing to make.

Attachments

• 2015-07-27 21.57.32.jpg
    2015-07-27 21.57.32.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 2015-07-27 21.57.14.jpg
    2015-07-27 21.57.14.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 160
Wow, CG...your dinner looks fabulous! :ohmy: Especially the spring rolls....I love those and have been wanting to make them, but I don't want to make a whole batch just for me. I wouldn't be able to eat enough on my own to make it worth the time and trouble to make them. You've just inspired me to get my daughter over here for a spring roll-a-thon. :) :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom