Dinner Monday, May 4th, 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
we cooked: maryland crabcakes, roasted redpepper remoulade, & purple vinagrette cabbage slaw;

almond-crusted halibut, beurre rouge, zucchini noodles (neat!), carrot tournet (i'm not sure who tourned them, they looked more like squiggly battonets), & pommes anna. yum.

also potato-crusted cod, fresh tomato sauce, sauteed garlic spinach, tourne yellow squash, grn. herb oil, & shrimp bisque.

So thinks we should be on a diet (she's right) so low cal is the word of the day. I am grilling a couple of boneless pork loin chops and making a tossed salad.

Cowboy Caviar

After a weekend of gluttony (burgers, brats, dogs... the weather was nice!) I am going with something much healthier this evening... some Cowboy Caviar.

The tangy flavors of the red wine vinaigrette mixed with the jalapeno and cilantro is incredible. A little wild rice on the side and it will more than fill us up.

Best part about it is that the recipe "gets better with age"... meaning my lunch the next few days will be even better.

Finally, feeling good enough to go out! Going to see my sons 1st college apartment (which he will share with 4 other boys, oh my), then out to dinner. Don't know where yet, and quite frankly don't care. Just happy to be feeling well enough to get out for a while. I'll let ya know how it was later. Have a great afternoon everyone.

we cooked: maryland crabcakes, roasted redpepper remoulade, & purple vinagrette cabbage slaw;

almond-crusted halibut, beurre rouge, zucchini noodles (neat!), carrot tournet (i'm not sure who tourned them, they looked more like squiggly battonets), & pommes anna. yum.

also potato-crusted cod, fresh tomato sauce, sauteed garlic spinach, tourne yellow squash, grn. herb oil, & shrimp bisque.

If you don't mind me asking, what went into the dressing for this slaw?

sure, let me check my notes.....
4 ounces oil, 6 ounces vinegar, 4 ounces sugar, salt, papper to 1/2 pound mixed cabbage.

Ya know, luvs, I just luv (lol) to read about what you all make in school everyday (I'm right about that, culinary school?) I like reading what everyone has for dinner, I'm not able to eat as much now as before, but I still find it so much fun. I learned to cook by reading and rereading Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker, so it sounds so great to learn all those recipes and techniques. Good luck to you, and post as many pictures as you can, inquiring minds want to know!

sure, let me check my notes.....
4 ounces oil, 6 ounces vinegar, 4 ounces sugar, salt, papper to 1/2 pound mixed cabbage.

Um, is that right? That's a quarter-pound of sugar for 1/2 pound of cabbage? :ohmy:

Ya know, luvs, I just luv (lol) to read about what you all make in school everyday (I'm right about that, culinary school?) I like reading what everyone has for dinner, I'm not able to eat as much now as before, but I still find it so much fun. I learned to cook by reading and rereading Better Homes and Gardens and Betty Crocker, so it sounds so great to learn all those recipes and techniques. Good luck to you, and post as many pictures as you can, inquiring minds want to know!

thanks! i will post today's dinner pics when jake gets in. or tomorroq.

I am starting my Mexican feast tonight. I want to have Taco's tonight. I am off tonight and have to work tomorrow night, so I will make something more "portable" with the excess to take to work tomorrow night.

MusicalFruit, I love that Cowboy Caviar recipe. Thanks for posting it. I am always looking for new dishes to serve in our warm summer weather. And I just happen to have a bag of black-eyed peas in my pantry - NOT easy to find here (but I think Peruano or even black beans could be substituted). For dinner tonight, I put some chicken thighs in the crockpot (skinned, well-browned and seasoned with Tone's Canadian Chicken Seasoning), on top of some potatoes, diced onions and fresh green beans. Poured some chicken broth over it and the smell is driving me crazy. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.

about once a month i cook for my son and his wife. he is the cook in the house and this gives him a night off. this am i made a casserole using stew meat, mushrooms, french onion soup and cream of celery, and red wine. in the oven for 2 hours at 300 .

i will eat one serving for dinner tonight. over noodles. freeze a serving for me for later. then i put the rest in a super strong baggie. when i send stuff home,in one of my pans, they don't come back very well.

Pork steak with poppy and dill pasta. New recipe, so hopefully it turns out well!

Dumpandstir meatloaf, and Garlic Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and gravy.

The Dumpandstir meatloaf conatins some of the spaghetti sauce from dinner last night. Got a 5lb bag of Yukon potatoes for 1.99. They are small potatoes so I am boiling them whole so its skin on mashed tonight.

Total cost of dinner for eight, about $3-$4. I love it when someone gives me free beef.

Leftover pork fried rice I made last night and a pineapple and banana upside down cake.
Actually I just had some cake and will have the rice later (maybe). Couldn't resist!

Today is Bugs birthday, her request was beef ribs and panfried potatoes. We also have a Boston Cream Pie for dessert. Can't wait for that.

Back
Top Bottom