Dinner, Monday Nov. 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Alix! Don't know how I missed out knowing what porridge really is... I just call it oatmeal. :)

I went to a Monday Night Football dinner at the local cafe. They served BBQ chicken, polenta with a marinara sauce, coleslaw, biscuits, and 4 choices of cake. I opted for the lemon cake. All the proceeds went to the local hospice.

Porridge in the West is referred to as oatmeal, whereas in the East, it is actually congee. There are two types of rice porridge. The plain one accompanied by small servings of pickled and cooked dishes can be taken at any time of the day, whereas the gluey type with minced pork, chicken or fish is served mostly during breakfast and supper.

Yes....porrige, oats (I use crushed whole porrige oats) and either water, milk or a mixture of the two. I have to say, I always use skimmed milk, I like my porrige healthy, but not water healthy. My mother uses water/milk mix, its ok.

Most traditionally (particularly in Scotland, where the best oats come from) its eaten in UK with just a little salt. The further south in England you get the less salt is used, lol. I like it with salt, but if I am feeling decadant NOTHING beats it with a little dark brown sugar and double cream.

Last night I cooked up some organic/free-range Turkey/Cranberry/Sage sausages in my cast-iron pan & served them with buttered egg noodles & a green salad.

Back
Top Bottom