Dinner Monday Oct.27 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
After having a break from the ham, asparagus, macaroni and cheeses last night, it will return to the menu for tonight.:)

What's happening at your place?

Doing a white bean soup tonight. I have a smoked ham hock bone from a terrine I made yesterday(pics to follow tomorrow). The usual suspects, diced tomatoes, onions, celery, red pepper, garlic, shallots, parsley. Gonna load it up with Parmesan cheese and some hot crusty bread. Some ice cold Coli Albani to wash it all down and help me sleep...:angel:

I bought a 2 pak of Steak and Ale Pies from Trader Joe's after seeing Princess Fiona post a pic. I had one a week ago and will have the other pie tonight. I don't quite understand why the English don't put some peas and potatoes in that pie, so I'll be adding that on the side. The pie crust is a bit thick on them and I usually end up not eating all the pie crust.

51959_steak_and_ale_pies_di2.png

Doing a white bean soup tonight. I have a smoked ham hock bone from a terrine I made yesterday(pics to follow tomorrow). The usual suspects, diced tomatoes, onions, celery, red pepper, garlic, shallots, parsley. Gonna load it up with Parmesan cheese and some hot crusty bread. Some ice cold Coli Albani to wash it all down and help me sleep...:angel:
W8mHAwY.jpg

that chick pea soup looks really good, rock. ;)

dw and i collaborated on dinner tonight. i prepped, she stuck it in the oven. i watched it for a while, then she to its completion.

then we argued about the rest time. we compromised at 6 minutes.

oh yeah, i should say what it was.

a roast pork loin, herb roasted potatoes, and mixed veggie salad.

you can never rest a salad too long. :wacko:

Hmm, I posted a pic of those TJ pies too Caslon. We liked them a lot, with a loaded green salad.

Tonight we're having fried cabbage with onion, apple and potatoes. Browned Bockwurst will steam on the top.

Sorry. Yes, someone posted a big pic of Trader Joe's steak and ale pies they were having that night. Looked good. I bought. Was that you? Anyways, back then, there was flour, meat and ale and nothing else. So I'm not surprised there's not vegetables in them....they were probably a luxury back then.

k-l, i've never heard of fried cabbage before. am i being dumb in asking what it is or how to make it?

Sorry. Yes, someone posted a big pic of Trader Joe's steak and ale pies they were having that night. Looked good. I bought. Was that you? Anyways, back then, there was flour, meat and ale and nothing else. So I'm not surprised there's not vegetables in them....they were probably a luxury back then.

meat is a luxury. veggies aren't unless they are exotic or hard to find in your locale.

Had to be something quick - got home late. So I had some of the raw grated beetroot 'salad' I made yesterday (just with lemon juice, garlic, some harissa and tomato ketchup) with a small crusty baguette that had boursin and some chorizo styled deli sliced meat. Oh alongside a hunk of cucumber that I ate caveman style, i.e. unsliced!

k-l, i've never heard of fried cabbage before. am i being dumb in asking what it is or how to make it?

I never heard of it before coming here either Bucky, although cabbage was a staple growing up in my Irish/German childhood. Our beloved Kades turned me on to it, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/fried-cabbage-tnt-64538.html What a remarkable and generous cook she was.
I've adapted it many times, like with dinner tonight.

LOL Back then, where? Meat has always been a luxury everywhere, even now. These are not suppose to be anything other than American made, and we do have ale. ;)

Last edited:
DH and I drove up to Wallops Island earlier today to see the Antares rocket launch. Unfortunately it was scrubbed at the last minute because of a sailboat in the hazard area :mad: We had some nachos up there and are now having some leftover chicken-potato chowder.

bt, for a real culinary treat, add fried noodles to the fried cabbage. In that case, fry each in a bit of butter in separate pans until each is a bit golden. We actually fry the noodles until some get a little crispy. (If you try frying the noodles with the cabbage it won't crisp up.) Once each item is fried, mix together and eat. :yum: Makes a perfect Fridays-in-Lent dinner for Himself and me.

I cut up: one green and three non-green peppers, an onion, a zucchini, and chicken Italian sausage and tossed it all into the oven. We ate small salads while dinner baked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom