Dinner on last day of February?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Mardi Gras, everyone!

We extended invitations to lots of friends in town to stop by during their lunch hours today for some goodies. We had mini crawfish pies, shrimp cocktail, andouille sausage bites w/creole mustard, chunks of cheddar cheese, chips/dip, spicy pork rinds, deviled eggs, hot pickled okra, Hurricanes, praline ice cream pie and mini oatmeal cookies. We didn't eat much ourselves - so will be snacking on all the above tonight!

i put some proscuitto with some cubed morbier cheese & drizzled it with truffleoil & then peppered it. that was really delicious.
i also made one of those pre-packaged pasta dishes....for lack of words-:mellow: ....

HB is on second shift. I made some great chicken salad from leftover grilled chicken breasts last night, and that's what we had for lunch today. It was delicious on whole wheat buns.
He grilled the breasts on the George Forman last Thursday, and we were really pushing it, but the chicken had been nice and cold the whole time, and it tasted and went down great. That was at noon...I would have know by now. Besides, the dog and I tried it out last night. :blush:
I would never have tried that with my old fridge.

Hey luvs, good to see you. Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent. Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday. Traditionally folks make pancakes on this day to get rid of all the yummy fattening stuff in the house before Lent begins and they have to fast.

corazon90 said:
Took Callum in for his first set of 4 shots today.:cry: He's pretty grumpy and sore, so I will probably be munching here and there. I want someting more substantial, but we'll see if he'll sleep long enough to let me...
Corazon90 - I feel for you. My son had a horrible reaction for the first and second round of shots, one word: TYLENOL! Good luck! Don't let any time lapse in between doses either! I hope you get some sleep!

We had Barbequed Honey sweetened Baby back ribs. (My husband slow cooked them on the pit for about 3 1/2 hours, indirect heat.) Fried baked (on the pit) sweet potato's. Spinach/avacado salad. For dessert we had Ice cream sandwiches. "They were the best"

I sauteed $18.00 worth of diver scallops that were BAD!!! Already called and will get my money back. They didn't smell bad but had a VERY "mineraly" taste to them - unedible.

With it (and this was now our entire meal) lemon risotto with chopped up asparagus and wedges of iceburg with bacon, tomatoes, radishes, chives, and homemade Green Goddess dressing. It was still good and I'm still full anyway. :cool:

I made up a batch of dirty rice and andouille for my friends. We'd already done the "big" mardi gras thing over the weekend. I'm probably not going to segue into lent just yet (hubby and I both have birthdays this weekend, and we don't give up celebrating them). But I have some stock in the fridge, and bags of "gourmet" lentils in the pantry. I suspect there will be a lot of soup in our future.

Oh, Kitchenelf, you're a person after my heart. One thing we can get good locally is big ocean scallops (IQF), and they are a staple in my kitchen. But what made me laugh is Green Goddess dressing. Is it making a come-back? I didn't see it for years, then about 5 years ago turned up a recipe for it, and at mardi gras this year it was on the menu. Once that herb garden recovers from winter, you know I'll be making my own.

I am jealous of all of you. I SAID we were having stir fry - however, my daughter came home from school sick and DH stayed at the office and worked - she had nothing my son ate a banana and cheese and I had some wild rice soup:( .

AllenMI said:
I have no earthly idea what's for dinner.

Hey Bucky, if you haven't found a balsamic marinade for your pork yet, try mixing some balsamic vinegar with some thawed orange juice concentrate. I can't think of the ratios right now. It's something we used to do way-back-when at the first country club I worked at.

thanks allen! the house humidifier went on the fritz last night, so i didn't get a chance to cook. i spent most of the evening cleaning out the dried minerals and gunk, rebuilding the pump, and replacing the evaporator panel.

tonight i have to stop off at the garage and have the guy check my recently replaced now squealing brake pads.
fortunately, it's right down the block so i can drop off the truck and go home to cook.

soooo, i'm gonna try the marinade you mentioned. need to pick up frozen oj. would fresh oj work? i guess i'll have to experiment with ratios.

also, the veal shoulder chops are still good, so i'm going to dice them and use them for making chilli.

pdswife said:
We decided on Beef Burgundy.
I've never made it before so it'll be an experiment. Here's the recipe I'll use. Any advice or anything you'd do differently?

5 - 6 pieces of bacon diced and cooked in large oven proof pot.
Once bacon is mostly cooked (do not drain) add 1.5 pounds stew meat and brown on all sides. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add One Large Union chopped & Mushrooms (halved) to taste. Cook 5 min or until onion is tender.
Add in 3 table spoon tomato paste, 3 table spoons flour and two packed table spoons brown sugar. cook 2-3 min.
Add 2 cups red wine, 3 cups beef broth, 1 sprig rosemary, 2 bay leafs.
Place in 350 deg oven for 1.5 hours covered.
Uncover - Add 20 - 30 baby carrots & 20 - 30 pearl onions. Cook for 30min or until carrots are tender.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is very similar to Boeuf Bourgignon we make... it's a delicious dish especially accompanied by fresh french baguette!!
I sautè onions with bacon from the start, as I like them very well browned, almost caramelized... IMO it gives much more flavour that way...
I also add couple of minced garlic cloves...
And mushrooms, I sautè it separately with chopped green onions, and add where you add the carrots.
I cook it on the stove top though, taking about 2 and half hours altogether but I would like to try your idea to cook it in the oven, as I once had it burn at the bottom...:ohmy:
I hope you enjoyed your dinner!! (and that goes to everyone else!!)

Roy said:
Oh, Kitchenelf, you're a person after my heart. One thing we can get good locally is big ocean scallops (IQF), and they are a staple in my kitchen. But what made me laugh is Green Goddess dressing. Is it making a come-back? I didn't see it for years, then about 5 years ago turned up a recipe for it, and at mardi gras this year it was on the menu. Once that herb garden recovers from winter, you know I'll be making my own.

I used to eat Green Goddess every day in the mid 70's. I have never found another recipe like it. I've been searching and searching! I think I finally found one that is close. It has an egg yolk, sour cream, s & p, garlic, tarragon, tarragon vinegar, spring onions, anchovy paste, chives and AN AVOCADO! The avocado makes it really creamy and smooth and adds just the right flavor that I have been missing for so many years. I just had a "hankering" for it last night. Didn't know it was making a comeback! lol I think the infamous wedge must also be making a comeback - we did the wedge of lettuce and a friend of mine said she has seen it on a bunch of menus lately.

Next time I may be tempted to buy the IQF scallops if I can find them. Boy was that disappointing.

callie - sounds like a great spread you put on for your friends!!!

Everyone's dinners sounded wonderful!

I made tacos and fajitas.

Corazon, I hope Aiden's doing better today--shots are rough! Michele's right--the Tylenol's great (for mom and baby!:LOL: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom