Dinner Plans Wednesday April 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Sitting here watching a ball game from the west coast I thought I'd start this thread.

Wednesday, our dinner will be ranch chicken served over rice with a veggie or salad.

1 fillet of grilled haddock, 3 roast toms, 3 Jersey Royal new potatoes(the best new pot in the world) and spinach, for pud a pear and an apple.

The weather forecast for today is sunny and 80 degrees so I'm planning burgers on the grill, coleslaw (made from my own cabbage), and beans.

Barbara,

I am not sure if this is the way it is done in GB but, this is the way it has always been done in my family.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Preheat oven to 350 F
Butter a flat casserole dish (9” square)
Batter

1 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ cup milk
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
Topping

2 cups water
1 cup light brown sugar
1 T butter

Put topping ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Mix first four batter ingredients in a bowl, mix in milk and add chopped dates and nuts.
Spread batter in greased baking dish, pour topping mixture over the batter and bake about 1 hour.
Eat warm with real whipped cream.
If you do not like dates use raisins or a couple of chopped tart apples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today is a snow day for my daughter. Her schoolbus didn't run, so I'll be going home to a hungry bunch. Last night was a feeding frenzy, so tonight will be something easier. I'm thinking Haddock in foil with a bruccetta topping, rice, and salad.

Meatloaf will be on the menu tonight. Not sure of the sides just yet.

Barbara,

I am not sure if this is the way it is done in GB but, this is the way it has always been done in my family.

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Preheat oven to 350 F
Batter

1 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ cup milk
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
Topping

2 cups water
1 cup light brown sugar
1 T butter

Mix first four batter ingredients in a bowl, mix in milk and add chopped dates and nuts.
Spread batter in greased baking dish, pour topping mixture over the batter and bake about 1 hour.

When I add sticky dried fruit to a recipe that has flour, I add it after the other dry ingredients have been mixed together, but before the liquid is added. Then I stir. It coats the sticky with flour and helps keep the fruit from sticking together.

Picked up a bunch of discounted ground beef yesterday and have already browned it up. Some will go into the freezer to use for a quick meal in the future. The rest is going to become tacos for tonight. I'll probably put together some refried beans and some homemade pickles, sliced radishes, green onions, washed down with iced tea and finished with orange chiffon cake for dessert.

Wow, we are on a taco kick here! DH requested them as we haven't had them much since Dad arrived (who doesn't eat anything spicy). So, I am going to cook up the ground beef I have and make it all into taco meat. I will serve him some tonight and package the rest into freezer bags that he can take to work for his supper.

For Dad, I am making a salisbury steak with some of the meat and will make an onion gravy, fry up some of the left over mashed potatoes from last night and add fresh cucumber and tomato to the plate.

For me, it will either be more of the mashed potato and creamed corn from last night or I will put on a pot of soup. Still can't chew or swallow well.

Gotta keep it simple here. I can't cut anything with the finger injury (can't make the "claw" to hold the food sadely). DH can't concentrate - too much new stuff to learn for the new job.

So, we're having hamburgers.

Freezer cleaning time. I took out some taco rice as well as some excellent chili.

The taco rice was a little lacking so I'm going to add a spoonful or two of the chili "juice" to fix it, but will probably have the chili for dinner, as it was especially good.

I'll have the taco rice tomorrow after it has had a chance to absorb the chili flavors.

Going simple tonight. Turkey tacos with refried beans, corn, and sliced avocado. :)

We had a casserole of chicken with stuffing and gravy, 3 bean salad and pickled beets last night. I think we will have the rest of the casserole with different veggies tonight.

Barbara,

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Preheat oven to 350 F
Batter

1 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ cup milk
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped walnuts
Topping

2 cups water
1 cup light brown sugar
1 T butter

It looks really good! I will be trying this soon (without the dates, which I hate--I always sub raisins).

When I add sticky dried fruit to a recipe that has flour, I add it after the other dry ingredients have been mixed together, but before the liquid is added. Then I stir. It coats the sticky with flour and helps keep the fruit from sticking together.
Good idea. :)

Picked up a bunch of discounted ground beef yesterday and have already browned it up. Some will go into the freezer to use for a quick meal in the future. The rest is going to become tacos for tonight. I'll probably put together some refried beans and some homemade pickles, sliced radishes, green onions, washed down with iced tea and finished with orange chiffon cake for dessert.
Yikes! As I was skimming through the posts, I thought I read "disgruntled ground beef!" I've heard of mad cow but not disgruntled beef! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Still not sure what is for supper. We had a late lunch at the Mexican restaurant in town, and food is the last thing on my mind. It will be something quick tonight, as it is "Survivor" night. Probably pizza rolls for James and Buffalo wings for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom