Dinner Saturday 27th of August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll wait and see when dinnertime rolls around what I have to work with. If the power is out because of Irene, it'll be something on the stovetop in the camper.

Risotto is on the menu, with the left over liquid from reconstituting some dried mushrooms last night. I'd better start eating that leftover maque choux, too. I did buy some nice Gulf shrimp yesterday, maybe I'll grill some of those tonight to round things out.

Risotto is on the menu, with the left over liquid from reconstituting some dried mushrooms last night. I'd better start eating that leftover maque choux, too. I did buy some nice Gulf shrimp yesterday, maybe I'll grill some of those tonight to round things out.

Pac, Watch out for sand in the mushroom water! I learned the hard way on that.

Tonight is going to be shrimp fried rice and ???

I've decided to make breaded fish with mashed potato and a mix of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and carrots instead. Not crazy about frozen veg but it will have to do till fresh veggies are available!

Pac, Watch out for sand in the mushroom water! I learned the hard way on that.

Tonight is going to be shrimp fried rice and ???

Good tip, Aunt Bea.
I strained it through a coffee filter last night just in case.

Had planned eggplant Parmesan but I realized that we're going to Glenn's mother's house (next door) for a birthday party for Glenn's oldest daughter. Grandma is making a big pan of lasagna, along with all kinds of other assorted goodies...and birthday cake and ice cream. This is all going to be midday, so I have a feeling we'll be too full to handle another largish meal a few hours later. That being the case, I think we'll just have a big salad with some garlic bread and more of the apple-cream cheese bundt cake as dessert. I'll save the eggplant for tomorrow or Sunday.

It depends on if we still have electricity or not...if we do I will heat up leftovers so they get used up. If not, peanut butter sandwiches and fruit.

DH is working and is taking the leftover chicken souvlaki and some of the fresh pineapple mango salsa for his dinner. He liked it!

I am not sure what Dad and I will have, but I still have some of the minced up steak I served him yesterday and onion gravy so I may just do up some potatoes and veggies for him and I will make a dinner salad with whatever I can find!

Cooking school here today! :chef:
My son called earlier in the week wanting to know how to make my stuffed manacotti. After trying to explain it to him, and knowing he was just spacing out, I told him to come to Mama for a cooking lesson. :)
He and his wife are trying to learn how to cook so I'm planning on having them fix our meal, and instructing them as they go. Praying they still love me when it's over......and hope I don't turn into a Gordon Ramsey. :hammer:

Last edited:
Cooking school here today! :chef:
My son called earlier in the week wanting to know how to make my stuffed manacotti. After trying to explain it to him, and knowing he was just spacing out, I told him to come to Mama for a cooking lesson. :)
He and his wife are trying to learn how to cook so I'm planning on having them fix our meal, and instructing them as they go. Praying they still love me when it's over......and hope I don't turn into a Gordon Ramsey. :hammer:

This week I had a call from my son. "Hi Mom. How do you make pigs in blankets?" When I told him I use crescent rolls he goes "Oops. We got buttermilk biscuits." I reassured him it would be fine. I love giving instructions over the phone.:rolleyes:

Waiting to see what we get with Irene. I hope we don't lose power. My fridge is pretty well stocked, so we've got lots of possibilities.

As long as we have power, dinner tonight will be shrimp scampi over linguine and a salad.

Safety for all affected by hurricane Irene.

Cold, Cold beer...in Frosty Mugs......
Fried Catfish......
A big pot of Mustard Greens....full of T-Roots....
Hush puppies to sop up some pot likker.......
Chocolate Ice Cream......

Cold, Cold beer...in Frosty Mugs......
Fried Catfish......
A big pot of Mustard Greens....full of T-Roots....
Hush puppies to sop up some pot likker.......
Chocolate Ice Cream......

Oh boy I love mustard greens!!!! What are hush puppies and t-roots Uncle Bob?
Hushpuppies are a brand of shoe here by us :LOL:

Oh boy I love mustard greens!!!! What are hush puppies and t-roots Uncle Bob?
Hushpuppies are a brand of shoe here by us :LOL:

:LOL: Yep. used to own a pair of Hush Puppy shoes ~~ Hush puppies are "balls" of a type of cornbread batter, seasoned with green onions, garlic, etc. and dropped into hot, deep fat (peanut oil) to fry...Served as an accompaniment to fried fish...sometimes BBQ meats. Legend has it that when dogs were underfoot, howling for food, the cooks would throw them some fried batter with the admonition to Hush Puppy!!!

T-Roots are Turnip Roots...

Last edited:
:LOL: Yep. used to own a pair of Hush Puppy shoes ~~ Hush puppies are "balls" of a type of cornbread batter, seasoned with green onions, garlic, etc. and dropped into hot, deep fat (peanut oil) to fry...Served as an accompaniment to fried fish...sometimes BBQ meats. Legend has it that when dogs were underfoot, howling for food, the cooks would throw them some fried batter with the admonition to Hush Puppy!!!

T-Roots are Turnip Roots...

cornbread

I used to buy Hush Puppy shoes, they are soooo comfy! They've just become way too expensive!
I will try the turnips with mustard greens, it's sounds like a good combination :) Do you just season them or mash them together?

Would you mind sharing your recipe for hush puppies? They sound amazing :)
And thank you for the little story about them!

I used to buy Hush Puppy shoes, they are soooo comfy! They've just become way too expensive!
I will try the turnips with mustard greens, it's sounds like a good combination :) Do you just season them or mash them together?

Would you mind sharing your recipe for hush puppies? They sound amazing :)
And thank you for the little story about them!

I usually like to mix Turnip Greens with the Mustard Greens.... I Always add the turnip roots...they add a certain ....sweetness.. to the greens...plus they are just darn good to eat....Add them towards the end....careful not to over cook....they will get mushy.....

Any basic cornbread recipe will work to make Hush Puppies....You can add things like chopped green onions, chopped Jalapeno pepper, whole kernel corn, garlic powder, chopped onion, black pepper etc, etc,.....I prefer to keep them pretty simple and basic however....Drop the batter by tablespoon full into the hot oil....It only takes a few minutes...

Fun & Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom