Dinner Saturday 2nd February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. I think I'll season them with rosemary, garlic, onion, paprika and a bit of soy sauce for the umami factor, and roast them, along with some mixed baby potatoes. Salad or sauteed green beans on the side.

I decided to add the beans to the roasting pan. Yummy.

ForumRunner_20130202_201721.jpg

Actually, it would be fine, just have to pick out the bones and nostrils. My great grandma made head cheese with a full pig's head all the time. Scared the crap out of me the first time I saw the severed head sitting on her table.

Ooops, hope we didn't ruin anyone's appetite...

I love head cheese! Might not look good while it's cooking but the meat is all good. You need all the knarly bits for the gelatine :yum:

Love the pictures!!!!

We got two dungeness crabs at CostCo. I steamed some carrots, potatoes, and two eggs with a bit of Old Bay, and then reheated the crabs in the steamer. It turned out really good for pre-frozen crabs! A little lemon butter and dinner was served!

I had a salad with ranch, co-jack cheese, prosciutto, and two other cured meats, can't remember the names right now. Then a cheese danish for dessert. It was a Costco dinner...

Soy sauce adds a savory taste? I always thought soy sauce was kind of salty. Unless I don't understand umami right. And that's a strong possibility.

Oh, yeah :) Umami is the taste of foods that are high in natural glutamates. If you use a lot of soy sauce, it does taste salty. For this recipe, I mixed together a bunch of dried herbs and spices and sprinkled them on and under the chicken skin, then used a pastry brush to brush soy sauce lightly on and under the skin. In the finished dish, you don't taste soy sauce - it just tastes really savory :mrgreen:

Here's some info from Wikipedia: Foods rich in umami

This reminds me: The original recipe I got from a Chinese cookbook for a brown stir-fry sauce doesn't have enough flavor for us. We used to just add more soy sauce, but that wasn't satisfying, because it tasted saltier. After I learned more about Chinese cooking, I added a 1/2 tsp. of oyster sauce and that made all the difference. I LOVE oyster sauce :)

Last edited:
I need someone to make me a umami dish and a savory dish and all those other flavors so I can distinguish the true flavor you are going for. It's one thing to read about it. It's another to taste it first hand.

Any takers? :LOL:

Thanks for the explanation, GG.

I need someone to make me a umami dish and a savory dish and all those other flavors so I can distinguish the true flavor you are going for. It's one thing to read about it. It's another to taste it first hand.

Any takers? :LOL:

Thanks for the explanation, GG.

I would if you lived closer! One thing you could try: Prep a couple of chicken breasts as I described and brush one with a little soy sauce. Roast them, then taste and see if you notice a difference in flavor.

That's an idea.
When I'm ready to give it a go I'll post something so I can get walked through it. I've never nessed with under-the-skin chicken seasoning either.

A flavor profile tutorial with simple dishes to make and see the difference of the end result (with the fancy names attached) would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom