Dinner Saturday Feb 19th 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Fresh from the oven and cooling, a new recipe for Johnny Marzetti. For dessert we will split a large piece of homemade raspberry and rhubarb pie I brought home yesterday from our weekly bridge playing.

What are you having/had?

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40
Creamy red pepper sauce over ww penne and broccoli. Steamed asparagus. Hot cinnamon chocolate soy milk.

I baked some frozen, store bought, breaded haddock. I made home fries and coleslaw to go with that. I served it with some remoulade that I had made previously and some lemon wedges. This time the coleslaw wasn't just good, it was really, really good.

Breaded haddock, cole slaw, home fries, and remoulade.gifBreaded haddock, cole slaw, home fries, and remoulade, Stirling's plate.gif

We had store bought fish, too. Yours looks better, taxy. I made buttered potatoes with garlic, parsley, and dill; also had haricot verte (skinny French green beans) from the freezer. Aldi's are just as good as the ones I've bought from Wegmans at about half the price.
IMG_20220219_202838929_HDR.jpg

I made my favorite brined/grilled pork chop dinner tonight for my wife and son, and an outside receiver.

The recipe comes from an old restauranteur that I befriended many years ago. On many an afternoon, I would go to this little pub on West 57th snd 10th Ave. for dinner. An friendly old soul (kinda looking like Santa Claus) always sat at the end of the bar, and since I was by myself and didn't want to take up one of the few tables, I just as often ate at the bar next to him.

We struck up many conversations, not the least of which were stories of his life as a merchant seaman. He was such an interesting guy, and always had great suggestions on what was the best thing on their menu on any given day. I never had a less than great dinner there. Everything from brined and grilled pork, or sauteed whole fish (the sardines were killer), to strange and delicious corn, potato, and shellfish dishes, to many other meals that introduced me to foods from up and down the Atlantic coast of both North and South America.

It took me a while, but I eventually figured out that HE was the freakin' owner of the pub. These were all recipes from his travels on ships in the western Atlantic.

I miss my talks, and especially my dinners with ol' Jimmy Armstrong. He was a fascinating and kind person.

So tonigh, in his honor, I made his grilled marinated pork chops, rice and beans, and fried sweet plantains.
He never gave out his recipes, but he'd give out clues every once in a while, and I think I've finally gotten as close as anyone to those great chops.

Last edited:
+1 BT!

Dinner Saturday was in THE Big City on an overnight trip with one of my Gal Pals.

IMG_1300.jpg
Lovely menu at the bar... tables were all reserved, but we were welcomed to sit at the bar as long as we liked.
IMG_1301.jpg
Very posh kinda joint, especially for us country mousses ;)
IMG_1302.jpg
For an appy, my Pal ordered the Roasted Brussels ... meh, not my fav, but I tried one anyway... sitting on the top of my Sprout was something that looked like it might be a chocolate chip, so I put it in my mouth, chewed a bit and as politely as I could, spat it out.
It was a piece of CARDBOARD!! We sent that plate back to the kitchen with the Chef's apologies.
IMG_1303.jpg
My Roasted Mushroom and Spinach Salad, delish btw!
IMG_1304.jpg
and here Winter Caesar Salad.
IMG_1305.jpg
Our plates were just gorgeous... it seems that we are both dishware collectors.

Back
Top Bottom