Dinner Sunday, 11-2-2014 ~ Are you making a super supper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're back to Sunday dinners out. Tonight we went to Swiss Chalet. I am still not eating much meat, but had a Caesar salad with garlic shrimp.

TB had chicken and ribs with sweet potato fries and Greek salad. Working on his Halloween light show really made him work up an appetite ;). Several months work and it is now all taken down until next year! But he had a blast and everyone loved it.

Nice photos and dinners tonight, everybody! I ended up making a regular pepperoni pizza for my daughter and then another one Greek style. We had the young lad from work over and he inhaled about 8 pieces......

Looks great! I used to date an Italian girl way back when, and it was the same with her family. Seems like there were always a dozen or more people around the table at her parent's house, and most of the older folks would speak primarily Italian. I was the only non-Italian in the bunch and had no idea what they were saying, but I could always tell when they were talking about me. :rolleyes:

HA!
That was me, nervous as heck the first time DH took me
'back East' and I met the fam.
I just sat there sipping my little juice glass of homemade wine,
thinking, this is great, I could really dig this. His grandmother's house
was packed to the brim with folks coming and going,
eating, drinking, talking (loudly and with their hands),
but the food, oh my gravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world) ... and it just kept coming.
His Aunt's were so happy that he brought home a girl (finally), they just gushed over me, "here, try this, try my..., you'll love this ..."
I must have gained 10 pounds that one night! :pig:

K, The Pirate married a girl who was born in Naples. It was time to meet her family before the wedding could take place. They had a nice fire going in the fireplace. The family, (aunts and uncles from Italy included) were sitting in a semi circle. My back was to the fireplace. I knew I had passed when they asked me if I could speak any Italian. "Only the good words." They knew exactly what I meant.

My daughter-in-law to this day cannot cook Italian food. If you want a real Italian meal, you have to go to her mother's house. Something The Pirate does frequently. And she always send something for me. :angel:

OMG I feel bad for somebody who cannot cook Italian. There are the mother sauces and the mother tongues and they are Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese (and oddly, Romanian). I'm a strong believer in the French mother sauces but there is a corresponding alphabet of Italian sauces that are mandatory for any chef fledgeling. Anybody who does not cook Italian, French, Spanish (Mexican in the US) should learn these cuisines.

Come on, it's not that hard. I've never been to France or Italy. I learned French from Julia Child. I learned Italian from a variety of other TV chefs and authors. (I learned Thai, Chinese and Japanese because we have so many local examples and population in Los Angeles.) Mexican is of course part of my local culture so that was easy peasy here in Los Angeles.

Not being able to cook Italian is not a terminal condition. All it requires is an interest, and if you have a friend or relative who cooks Italian then even better.

Some people just don't like to cook, Greg. I'm guessing Addie's DIL never learned to cook French, Spanish or Mexican, either ;)

btw, Mexican and Spanish are not the same cuisines. They're influenced by each other, of course, but not the same.

Some people just don't like to cook, Greg. I'm guessing Addie's DIL never learned to cook French, Spanish or Mexican, either ;)

btw, Mexican and Spanish are not the same cuisines. They're influenced by each other, of course, but not the same.

She never even learned to cook Italian. And her mother who is a fantastic cook, never let any of her five daughters in the kitchen. Her father makes all the pepperoni, soposata, hard Italian salami, etc. and other sausages by hand for the whole family. When she was healthier, she was always sending me food. If it hadn't been for her, The Pirate would have probably starved. Fortunately he learned to cook from his father as well as me. :angel:

That's a shame, a mother who never let her children in the kitchen. Honestly I don't understand the mentality behind that.

My mother always liked me and sis in the kitchen if we wanted, doing homework on the kitchen table, watching her cook, helping her cook or just being company.

It was watching her cook that initially attracted my interest in cooking and if not for her I wouldn't be the world renowned chef I am today. (A legend in my own mind. And I think I missed the class where they taught modesty.) ;)

That's a shame, a mother who never let her children in the kitchen. Honestly I don't understand the mentality behind that.

My mother always liked me and sis in the kitchen if we wanted, doing homework on the kitchen table, watching her cook, helping her cook or just being company.

It was watching her cook that initially attracted my interest in cooking and if not for her I wouldn't be the world renowned chef I am today. (A legend in my own mind. And I think I missed the class where they taught modesty.) ;)

I agree with you. My kids were always in the kitchen with me. And my two boys used to go to work with their father. He put them to work in whatever kitchen he was working in. They loved going with him in the summer. He always worked in a tourist area. Plenty of swimming and other fun summer things to do when they weren't working at his side in the kitchen. Spike got to take flying lessons in NH one summer when he was up there with his father. He still has his log. :angel:

I loved my flying lessons too. I still have my log. In fact I plan to add more entries, even if I'm just signed off by a certified flight instructor.

We pilots have a saying: "You can't have any more fun than flying unless you take your clothes off!" :)

I loved my flying lessons too. I still have my log. In fact I plan to add more entries, even if I'm just signed off by a certified flight instructor.

We pilots have a saying: "You can't have any more fun than flying unless you take your clothes off!" :)

Spike learned to fly in a single engine plane that had pontoons on it. The plane was docked at Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. The wings were on top of the plane. :angel:

I learned to fly at Van Nuys Airport, the largest general (non-commercial) airport in the nation in terms of traffic, at least in the era that I learned to fly.

Flying is just amazing! It's like being on a roller coaster and yet having all the controls to make it go up, down, swerve or anything you want.

I'm also an avid skier (snow). Skiing is the closest experience I've found compared to flying.

Back
Top Bottom