Dinner Sunday 2nd December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's chilly and raining today and I've had a pot of my Chili Verde on the stove most of the afternoon. It smells soooooo good!:yum:

I'll top each bowl with chopped white onions, grated cheddar cheese and lots of cilantro. Big flour tortilla's are to be toasted on the gas stove burners and spread with a little butter. Ohhh Yeah!! :pig:

Dawg.....that Cream of Mushroom soup sounds fabulous !!

It's chilly and raining today and I've had a pot of my Chili Verde on the stove most of the afternoon. It smells soooooo good!:yum:

I'll top each bowl with chopped white onions, grated cheddar cheese and lots of cilantro. Big flour tortilla's are to be toasted on the gas stove burners and spread with a little butter. Ohhh Yeah!! :pig:

Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! Your today's weather is our tomorrow's weather, and I sincerely appreciate any part you played in sending us this fine weather! It's been misty most of the day but the weather TV people are prepared to go on location live and broadcast the first watch. Storm-watch 2012, live!!!!

I really like the idea of your pot of chili simmering. That is real comfort food on a rainy day.

You and I toast tortillas exactly the same way. This method is simple-stupid. Just light a gas burner on full flame and throw the tortilla on the grate. Just flip it quickly until it is lightly browned. (This description is for others, I already know you do it this way because it works and there's no other way.)

Siegal, I really like beef tongue but having it in tomato sauce is new to me.
Do tell?

I like my tongue on sandwiches where I can taste the delicate flavor. The only other way I like tongue is on dates. :cool:

Mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! Your today's weather is our tomorrow's weather, and I sincerely appreciate any part you played in sending us this fine weather! It's been misty most of the day but the weather TV people are prepared to go on location live and broadcast the first watch. Storm-watch 2012, live!!!!

I really like the idea of your pot of chili simmering. That is real comfort food on a rainy day.

You and I toast tortillas exactly the same way. This method is simple-stupid. Just light a gas burner on full flame and throw the tortilla on the grate. Just flip it quickly until it is lightly browned. (This description is for others, I already know you do it this way because it works and there's no other way.)

I like my tongue on sandwiches where I can taste the delicate flavor. The only other way I like tongue is on dates. :cool:

Greg, I remember you and I agreeing on this method a while back. Tongs come in handy for those reading, by the way. Steve marvels at me doing this simple-stupid trick so please don't tell him there's little skill involved. Actually, even he could do it, but it's best he be left in awe. :ohmy:
I'm passing on the rest. :LOL:

I made teriyaki chicken on the grill with grilled onions. We also had Jasmine rice and fruit salad. Yummy!

I almost forgot why I came to this topic! Tonight's dinner! I intended to have this for dinner last night, roasted duck legs/thighs, but my photo shoot lasted until 8 p.m. and by then I wasn't interested in any cooking that takes an hour or more. I had Italian take-out.

This afternoon and tonight I was similarly occupied on the same project, but today working on my own and no fixed deadline so I was able to adjust my eating schedule to match my project. (I have several hours of work left but the target completion date is any time this week.)

So I didn't get any ideas after I put my duck leg/thighs or thigh/legs in the oven to roast. I bought a new oven thermometer and discovered that the other old thermometer is reading 50 degrees too cold, and the oven thermostat is overly optimistic by 150 degrees. (No wonder my oven cooking has been coming out badly.) Old thermometer: 325 F, oven thermostat: 475 F, actual temperature 325 F, actually not that bad a temperature to cook duck at, lower and slower than chicken.

So my duck came out about 180 F internal temperature (close enough) and it's happily resting before it's big ordeal (getting into my belly). The brown rice is almost done and I'm currently running it in a steam blow-off cycle (a minute without the top on) and the almonds are already toasted (to serve on the rice). A few seconds more releasing steam and the rice is going into cruise mode, no heat and just let the moisture equalize.

The garnish is cantaloupe, not because it goes particularly well here but because I've had it for enough days. Just on the spur of the moment as I type this I've decided to add a fresh slice of pineapple (home made IQF). So I'm in an optimization cycle where everything is pretty much cooked and I'm just waiting a few more minutes for the too hot things to cool down before the warm things get too cold.

Greg, I remember you and I agreeing on this method a while back. Tongs come in handy for those reading, by the way. Steve marvels at me doing this simple-stupid trick so please don't tell him there's little skill involved. Actually, even he could do it, but it's best he be left in awe. :ohmy::LOL:

Yeppers, simple-stupid, but good. The only trick at all is to pay attention or you'll burn the tortilla and have to toss it and start over.

I have trouble paying attention because I'm always multi-tasking, and in fact I'm doing that right now, last stages of dinner prep and typing on the Internet. In a few minutes I go into eating while typing on the Internet mode. I'd go into eating/watching TV but it's after 7 p.m. here and you remember what Newton Minnow said about the "vast wasteland"...

TB is still feeling under the weather but didn't want more soup so I got a rotisserie chicken. He had some brown rice, tomatoes and cucumbers with his. I had a whole pile of steamed green beans! It is a vegetable I can have on my new allergy diet and I LOVE them! TB hates them so I never get them but now I will have his share too! :pig:

That looks really good. Do you have a recipe for me?

To be honest, I had simply grabbed a bottle of black pepper sauce and kept it in the back for a quick meal. Cut up two chicken breasts, chopped up a head of broccoli and threw them in a hot skillet with the sauce. Diced up green onions and red pepper and threw them in the last few moments. Also, steamed rice. :)

My DH loved it. I told him it would sound like he is supposed to say that but he proclaims its the truth.

TB is still feeling under the weather but didn't want more soup so I got a rotisserie chicken. He had some brown rice, tomatoes and cucumbers with his. I had a whole pile of steamed green beans! It is a vegetable I can have on my new allergy diet and I LOVE them! TB hates them so I never get them but now I will have his share too! :pig:

I hope TB feels better!

We went to Casa Grecque. Stirling had lasagna, 'cause he was craving it and they make a pretty good lasagna there. I had filet of sole and langoustines (scampi). It was really, really good. Stirling had red velvet cake for dessert and I had pecan pie. I couldn't finish it, so it's in the fridge. :pig:

I hope TB feels better!

Thanks, Michelle! He is hoping to go back to work tomorrow but I worry as he drives a bus for the elderly/disabled and is in and out of the rain and cold all evening. All the drivers are coming down with colds and flu and if they are sick they can't go in so they don't make each other and the clients sick!

My duck was ordinary. I was busy all day, busy while cooking, even busy while eating. I should have made Gran Mariner orange sauce. I should have cooked a whole duck. Legs/thighs are for braising, whole ducks are for roasting. I roasted my duck legs.

At least I had poultry without killing any chickens. :)

We went to Casa Grecque. Stirling had lasagna, 'cause he was craving it and they make a pretty good lasagna there. I had filet of sole and langoustines (scampi). It was really, really good. Stirling had red velvet cake for dessert and I had pecan pie. I couldn't finish it, so it's in the fridge. :pig:

All sounds lovely Taxy :)

Sunday's spaghetti. I like my sauce thick :)

Attachments

• spaghetti.jpg
    spaghetti.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom