Dinner Sunday 31st March 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We still have prime rib roast left from last night. I'm also going to make a pot of chicken and dumplings because I have a craving for it.

I think you'll like it!

I did. It added nice subtle flavor. With all I had going on with my burger Iadded three slices and it was perfect.
Thanks for sharing that.

:yum: guys!

I planned to pan sear some scallops, but I can't find them in the freezer, so it'll be boiled shrimp tonight.

:ohmy: You better do some digging... I mean spelunking ;). Don't be letting those scallops get freezer burned now. I feel like some nice pan seared scallops after seeing GG's pic today. :yum:

Our dinner was at Sprout's house, with her husband, our grandkids, P.A.G. and her hubby, and one of my sons. The food included roasted leg of lamb with a wine reduction sauce, rustic cut carrot, turnips, snap peas, and peas roasted with the lamb, challa, the bunny rolls that I saw here on D.C. (made from challa bread dough), saffron seasoned couscous, and for desert, red-velvet cake with cream cheese icing. My beverage of choice was milk, but there was also grape juice, and water.

Church was especially spiritual today, though we weren't in our home branch. Great day, great family, great food, what else is there in life? I wouldn't trade this day for anything.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Tonight I made a pork and pineapple curry, using Patak's mild curry paste and a couple of tiny hot peppers. It was inspired by a Patak's recipe, but could use some more heat. Served it on brown basmati rice. I also made Alton Brown's vegetable curry: Vegetable Curry Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network. I leave out the cornstarch and I used frozen, not dried, chilies. It's TNT recipe at our house. Lemon mousse for dessert, again. :pig:

20130331_201241.jpg

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Our dinner was at Sprout's house, with her husband, our grandkids, P.A.G. and her hubby, and one of my sons. The food included roasted leg of lamb with a wine reduction sauce, rustic cut carrot, turnips, snap peas, and peas roasted with the lamb, challa, the bunny rolls that I saw here on D.C. (made from challa bread dough), saffron seasoned couscous, and for desert, red-velvet cake with cream cheese icing. My beverage of choice was milk, but there was also grape juice, and water.

Church was especially spiritual today, though we weren't in our home branch. Great day, great family, great food, what else is there in life? I wouldn't trade this day for anything.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That is wonderful, and as it should be. Good for all of you! Wish we could have been with both of our sons, but my oldest son and his family were at his in-law's house with that side of the family. We did have one son with us. Happy Easter my friend.

Chief, your dinner sounds fantastic, only surpassed by the love you had with your family. good on ya', as the saying goes. you deserve it.

you know, in a weird and sort of backwards way, i think it's good that people who don't claim to be religious (christian religious, that is) didn't go out of their way to make a fuss for easter dinner. i'm not saying that everyone who posted did that, but it's just the sense that i'm getting.

i think it's good for people to avoid being hypocritical.

this idea of mine started a few days ago as i listened to a few sports people, that i regularly listen to on the radio and have been vocal about being atheists or agnostics, were suddenly talking about what they were doing for passover or easter dinners. it really bothered me.

what? do they listen to themselves?

so, i'm happy to see people here being honest with themselves and others.

lol, it'll be interesting to see next christmas, though. you can't have easter without christmas, and vice versa. it's like having to order a medium drink when the only ones available are medium and large; no small. :)

just a thought. i know some people have celebrated already, or are celebrating the holiday later, so i don't mean them. i'm just impressed with honesty, that's all.

and i'm not trying to be cute (i don't have to try,) lol, or be backhanded. again, just an observation that i thought was a good thing.

this was not a statement of religion, just an observation. :)

Last edited:
Some of those agnostics, etc. aren't being hypocritical. It's when everyone else is celebrating. The spring equinox isn't a recognized holiday, but a lot of non-Christians celebrate it. It can be a lot easier to just celebrate it when everyone else is celebrating a modified version of a much older holiday.

Same goes for Xmas. Winter Solstice is a big deal, but who gets it off? for many it is just easier to celebrate when the Christians celebrate.

actually, i only meant that the people not celebrating were being honest.

i'm up for celebrating life anytime! just not for dishonest reasons.

and those not celebrating were being honest. i was applauding that; their integrity.

of course there's a myriad of reasons why people didn't celebrate today: financial, emotional, spiritual, heathen (just kidding), ...

it'll be interesting to see next winter solstice.

Last edited:
Yum! Everything sounds and looks soooooo good! We had roasted Cornish game hens, gnocchi with butter, walnuts and parm., grilled pesto sausages, grilled asparagus, green salad with hard cooked eggs, beets, and avocado. Dessert: Meyer lemon bundt cake with blackberry sorbet as well as assorted Easter candy. Tomorrow meals are going to be mean and lean! Ha! Ha! Happy Easter to all!

this idea of mine started a few days ago as i listened to a few sports people, that i regularly listen to on the radio and have been vocal about being atheists or agnostics, were suddenly talking about what they were doing for passover or easter dinners. it really bothered me.
Considering that the Easter celebration pre-dates Christianity (it is, after all, named after a pagan goddess of spring and fertility - Eostre), I'm not sure why Christians would only think of it as their holiday.

Do you think the tie-in with bunnies and eggs originated in the Bible?

By the way, this wasn't a statement of non-religion, just a different observation. ;)

understood. you can play with semantics and be smart all you like. i was making a positive point that seems to have inspired you. bacchus, maybe?

btw, what year is it?

Last edited:
Roast turkey, here, too, glazed with maple syrup from our trees, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli. I have hummus and fresh baked pitas and veggies to tide us over until the turkey is ready. Dessert is Swedish Almond Cake. I'm thinking about dressing it up with a drizzle of lignonberry sauce when serving it...
Roasted the turkey, skipped the maple glaze, went with cumin-scented roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, homemade cranberry salsa, and Swedish Almond Cake. Added a yogurt-dill-garlic dip alongside the homemade hummus and pitas (which turned out great, as usual). I also put out some of these:

The Wolfe Pit: Spicy Roasted Chick Peas

Busy day in the kitchen. The carcass is roasting in the oven, the kitchen is clean, and I'm ready to call it a day.

Attachments

• Easter 055.jpg
    Easter 055.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 154
sorry, you missed my point, then.
no offense intended.

truely.

what did you have today? celebratory in any way?

i'm always open to learning. i'm humble enough to know that.

what did you have today? celebratory in any way?

i'm always open to learning. i'm humble enough to know that.
In our family we just celebrate the coming of spring... ironically with snow on the ground this year. We're good people. We care about our neighbors. Probably not much different than you. We just don't go to church is all.

Normally I make a big dinner and our extended family comes over to join in. However three days ago I just got off crutches, so I wasn't much up for cooking a lot this year and we went over to my wife's parents house instead. MIL made a nice ham. I still ended up bringing most of the sides.

thanks, peace prevails. as it should, no matter what.

please reread what i said so you get might get a different aspect on it. in an off way, i was supporting those who have different beliefs than mine. honesty to one's self was the more important attribute. not my own importance, but sometimes a lowly jester with few friends can point something out.

only 8 months 'till christmas, er, that other time of year which historically has mixed roots.... lol.

relax, just kidding.

knowledge is a good thing, even if it is provocative in nature.

which would you rather it be?

Just curious BT.....was your "observation" based on what people were eating today? Would folks be perceived as non-Christian, because they were eating a non-traditional holiday meal or do you have knowledge of each posters religious beliefs? Many of us are aware of Taxlady's beliefs and we know a few folks who regularly attend church, but there were15 posters and I have to admit that I don't know what most of them believe. Many DC'ers are single or just couples, so if family is not nearby, a smaller non-traditional meal may be more practical. Some people just aren't traditional, doesn't mean they aren't spiritual, religious or Christian. ;) just my quest for knowledge and spirited conversation!

We had a pork roast, with roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Sautéed Brussels Sprouts on the side. We will have our Easter dinner next Sunday, when family can be here. It will be Turkey with all the trimmings as DD doesn't care for ham and DH doesn't care for lamb.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom