Dinner Sunday, 7-24-2016 ~ The Forgotten Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
When this night owl checks in and finds no dinner thread, I'll guess you all were too busy stuffing your faces with food and forgot? :huh: I know everyone isn't fasting! :LOL:

I made a shrimp boil for the first time. I kinda followed the Old Bay recipe on their website, but I also added in a small palmful of another creole seasoning, tossed in a couple of bay leaves, and a head of garlic, topped, I saved some of the cooking liquid before I poured everything into the steamer basket and had crusty bistro rolls to sop up some of the juices. Good stuff. :yum: Before and after pics:

Attachments

• 2016-07-24 21.09.33.jpg
    2016-07-24 21.09.33.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 2016-07-24 21.51.52.jpg
    2016-07-24 21.51.52.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 2016-07-24 21.56.44.jpg
    2016-07-24 21.56.44.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 141
Well, I checked in once and nobody had done it, then never checked again last night. We had eggs benedict sort of. Roasted portabello mushroom caps instead of English muffins and pancetta instead of Canadian bacon. Everything else the same. Hollandaise was homemade, but I should have only made 1/2 batch and added some kind of hot spice. It was fine for breakfast, but needed some oomph for dinner. Tater tots on the side.

I tried a new recipe from ATK. Grilled Pork Kebabs with hoi sin and five-spice. It was really good. Also made some roasted potatoes.

CG, your shrimp boil looks wonderful!

My dinner yesterday consisted of half a leftover hamburger and a salad. It wasn't even worth mentioning, so I didn't post.

Baked two loaves of bread on Saturday, then after breakfast yesterday I cooked two packages of bacon into woven sheets, which became a vital component in last night's supper...BLTs.

Glenn's son brought us a ton of fresh produce from his garden earlier in the week and the tomatoes were so red they made even the reddest fire truck look pink. Awesome sight.

Sliced up a plate of those ruby globes, toasted up a mess 'o bread, piled a plate full of the bacon sheets, along with a big plate of lettuce leaves and ate like we meant it. Had some icy cold bread-and-butter pickles I'd canned last year as a filler. Like we needed it. We each had two sandwiches and were more than adequately full, but it was the flavor of summer.

Still have several sheets of bacon left in the freezer and PLENTY more tomatoes, as well as sufficient bread to repeat the event. Maybe tomorrow after I grocery shop. I love avocado slices on my BLT and we don't have any...not until tomorrow that is.

Our leftover dinner wasn't worth mentioning either but everything else was sure note worthy!

That mixed shrimp boil looks terrific CG!

Yummm, grilled pork tenderloin 10speed!

Med, I love the idea for roasted portabello mushroom caps instead of English muffins.
Perfect for my low carbs.

Katie, your woven bacon squares are brilliant!

Could you link us to that recipe Andy?

Last edited:
Everyone's meals sounds great - even your leftover burger, Steve! Thanks for the compliments on our shrimp boil everyone.

The pork kebabs you made last night sound tasty, Andy. I need to get busy using up some of our pork tenderloins. We currently have five in the freezer because I was able to get them for $1.99 a pound last week. And good ones, too - "minimally processed, no additives" good.

Last edited:
Your shrimp boil dinner looks fabulous, CG! I see you are another one to cook shrimp cleaned but shell-on, and peel and eat at the table. :) I think that way keeps so much more of the shrimpy flavor. Excuse me if I saw your picture wrong. :ermm:

Wonderful sounding dinners last night, as always. I ended up with a huge loaded up salad, and a cup of mango frozen yogurt a little later in the evening.

We had a nice fried chicken dinner at the reunion watering hole. Good stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom