Dinner, Sunday March 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
Anyone cooking tonight? I'm on my own again so I thawed some shrimp to stuff and bake. Not sure what I'll have for sides just yet.

i have 3 giant porter house steaks to go on the grill later ..
as far as sides .. no idea yet .. but more than likely it will
be your usual baked potato and salad type thing ..

The boy made an amazing meal for his father, Cider Sausage Casserole served over mashed potatoes with steamed broccoli. It smells so wonderful!

I'm having veggie soup.

I have one of those pre-flavored pork loins ready to go. ( apple and burbon)
I've never bought one before so I'm not sure if it'll be any good or not.

steamed veggies to go with and maybe some pasta or rice.

It came out so well earlier this week that I'm doing it again... country pork ribs and roasted potatoes in the pressure cooker.
After moving snow around for another six hours straight, I'm in no mood to try something untried or that takes any more than a minimal amount of effort. But I'm hungry!

leftovers:); oven baked pork chops and brown rice caserole, oven roasted sweet potatoes and NY Times ww bread. Good thing I was planning leftovers tonight. When we got back to the house from sled riding, we discovered the water pressure was way low. So dh is replacing the submersible pump, which means the water is off for a few hours. Darn, can't do any cleaning:LOL:

Ramps?? What are they??

Thanks!

Your best bet is to do a Google search - I say that only because you will get to see some history along with recipes.

I can't decide what I'm having for dinner - it could be:

fish stew
sauteed tilapia - breaded or not, can't decide
15-bean soup

whatever I decide I will have to go to the store to get the remainder of ingredients

Pacanis - I knew you'd be hooked!!!!!

Chili dogs with the leftover chili from Friday's dinner. So much for the diet. I did go easy on the cheese with mine. Do I get credit for that?

I finally put that chicken in I was going to cook Saturday. It hasn't been in 15 minutes and the smell is driving me crazy. I think its the fennel and the wine. If it tastes half as good as it smells.......

OK, dinner is over, I'm stuffed. I oven braised the chicken in white wine and seasonings with fennel, golden potatoes and carrots. I started by adding basil/dried tomato olive oil in the roaster instead of a non-stick spray. I buttered the chicken so the top would brown nicely and I like the flavor. After buttering I added my spices(mixed various spices I like). Then put a couple of cups of dry white into the roaster, same amount of water.

When it was done I took the broth in the pan and boiled it down a bit, then added some corn starch dissolved in milk and brought that to a boil to slightly thicken the sauce.

Wow, the top skin, nice and crisp, the meat moist, flavorful and the fennel, veggies... outstanding.

Last edited:
They are also known as wild leeks. Found in woodlands in the south (and close to me in WV) they taste like a cross between onions and garlic. Eat them raw and you stink for two days. My recipe calls for roasting the bottoms and simmering the tops in a wine/chicken stock mix. Google "ramps" and you will learn a lot!

Southern Home-Made Chicken and Dumplings. For a pre-dinner I fixed croissant sandwiches with ham and cheese.

I am making pork chops with a mushroom ragu, smashed potatoes, steamed snap peas and a caprese salad. I will be having everything except the chop, of course, and I use my veggie stock for the potatoes and ragu.

Back
Top Bottom