Dinner Sunday Nov. 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Fixing two :chicken: " Beer Can Chicken's",grilled shrimp w/ coarse sea salt, fresh ground pepper, grilled lemon, mac-n-cheese , corn casserole, green beans, and crusty bread. Cake for dessert. Just got the birds in the oven -- one liked the can, the other one fought me tooth and nail, he wanted to just lay down!! #@$#@$ dang bird !

Last edited:
mmmmm sounds yummy Barb L! I am butter/ herb roasting a chicken, along with corn bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, peas, and pumpkin pie! And maybe mac and cheese. I need to quit menu planning when I am hungry!

Your shrimp sounds good too, I forgot I bought some the other day! I might have to throw some in around the chicken the last few minutes of baking for me! :)

Barb L, I love cheese mac! as does the DW. and although it may go against the grain on a cooking forum I like KD, sadly you can`t buy it here though :(

for tonight, being as it`s Bonfire night. we`re having bratwurst sausages and chestnuts with toffee apples afterwards :)

Gunpowder smoked of course!

We had lunch instead of supper again (the joys of staying with retired parents and not cooking for husbands, or kids I guess, lol).

We started with a Thai inspired chicken soup, followed by a plate of romaine dressed with a super, super EVOO, mixed Italian hams and breads with a duck pate , and then CliveB's jaggery and orange roast pork which we ate with some very, very late beans. I made some creme caramel but we were stuffed by then. Tonight I am looking at some nice cheeses and an apple. I also got a nice gift of some prune d'Agen, which I my favourite treats in the whole world, better than chocolate, so I dare say I'll eat a couple of these plump expensive little devils. ;)

Looks like pork tenderloin in the cast iron pan, finished in the oven. Pan sauce and seasoning yet to be determined. Leftover Basmati rice reheated in the pan after the sauce is done, w/ some kind of veg. added. Leftover braised cabbage.

Well, since I am finally fixing something (Sundays are tailgate days) at home, it will be venison stew in a cranberry red wine sauce/gravy. Probably egg noodles or smashed potatoes.

My brother is clearing out his freezer in preparation for moving. He gave me a lamb shank which is cryovac'd in some sort of gravy (he says it's mint sauce with rosemary) :ermm: I love lamb shanks, not all that fond of mint sauce and can't quite imagine the two (mint & rosemary) together. But maybe I'll give this thing a try. He also gave me a packet of instant mashed potatoes to go with it! Ahem, I have real potatoes and actually prefer baked, thanks! :LOL:

Fraidy

I made a huge pot of beef stew this morning so Lou could bring some back to Philly. At some point in time today, I'll make a pot of noodles to serve with the stew. There is still some brioche left and about a dozen creme puffs left.

No wine though....can't ever seem to have any wine leftover:huh:....

I gotta go into town in the early evening, so (cross your fingers) I'm gonna get some thai food takeout. Every time I say I'm gonna do it, I never do. Maybe it'll happen tonight! I loooooove thai iced tea, I'll get something with their delicious peanut sauce too. Dessert will be coming home to sleeping children. Ahhhhh

We have a roast and potatoes cooking on the grill. We'll have salad and corn and brownies for desert.
The meat smells so inviting out in the cool air. I think our next door neighbors will be joining us for dinner. Fortunately, it's a big roast.
:LOL:

I really feel like ordering in a Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut. I have been so good on my diet that I really crave this.

If I don't get the Pan Pizza I will order two small individual Pan Pizzas with an order of Baked Cinnamon Sticks.

We are going out to the new Chinese/Japanese restaurant that opened not far from out house. The have a decent buffet tonight with sushi on it. All you can eat (quality) sushi makes me very happy!

Well today one of the local organic produce & meat farms - specializing in rare heritage breeds - had its annual charity farm tour & bazaar benefiting humane societies throughout Virginia. So after an absolutely perfect day enjoying the sights, sounds, & smells of crisp autumn, we popped into the next village to do some shopping, & enjoyed a late lunch at a new restaurant there we hadn't tried yet. We got our hopes up when folks leaving the place as we were entering raved about it to us.

You just know it's going to be good when a large basket of warm bite-size chunks of artisinal country bread arrived accompanied by dishes of extra-virgin olive oil laced with herbs for dipping. Husband had the grilled chicken pannini; I the Italian Burger (chock full of sauteed red peppers, onions, mushrooms & melted provolone cheese). Husband LOVED his sandwich, & my burger couldn't have been more perfect. Cooked exactly "medium" as ordered, juicy without being greasy. Both sandwiches were served with a small wild green salad mix & some lovely diced potato "fries" that were crispy gold all over & pillowy soft inside. Intoxicating.

And as if all that wasn't enough - our entire bill before tax & tip came to only $16.00!!!!!! Good grief - you can't even eat at McDonalds for that (not that you'd want to - lol!!). This is definitely a place we'll be going back to - both for lunch & to see what dinner is like.

Breezy, have you eaten at the Lafayette Inn? A couple of friends of mine are cooking there... I hear it's very good! :D

I've been cleaning and writing all day, so now I'm fixing a monkfish fillet wrapped in bacon. some leftover turnips and greens will go nicely with that and a little Gentil... I'm happy! :)

BreezyCooking said:
Well today one of the local organic produce & meat farms - specializing in rare heritage breeds - had its annual charity farm tour & bazaar benefiting humane societies throughout Virginia. So after an absolutely perfect day enjoying the sights, sounds, & smells of crisp autumn, we popped into the next village to do some shopping, & enjoyed a late lunch at a new restaurant there we hadn't tried yet. We got our hopes up when folks leaving the place as we were entering raved about it to us.

You just know it's going to be good when a large basket of warm bite-size chunks of artisinal country bread arrived accompanied by dishes of extra-virgin olive oil laced with herbs for dipping. Husband had the grilled chicken pannini; I the Italian Burger (chock full of sauteed red peppers, onions, mushrooms & melted provolone cheese). Husband LOVED his sandwich, & my burger couldn't have been more perfect. Cooked exactly "medium" as ordered, juicy without being greasy. Both sandwiches were served with a small wild green salad mix & some lovely diced potato "fries" that were crispy gold all over & pillowy soft inside. Intoxicating.

And as if all that wasn't enough - our entire bill before tax & tip came to only $16.00!!!!!! Good grief - you can't even eat at McDonalds for that (not that you'd want to - lol!!). This is definitely a place we'll be going back to - both for lunch & to see what dinner is like.
Sounds veryyyyyy good and awesome price-- good for you for finding this treasure!

LEFSElover said:
it'll be whatever the faire is at the hotel in Fort Lauderdale that I'm staying at. As I recall, there is a TGIF, a WholeFoods Market that has a restaurant and a Chili's. Fast food but that's not goin happen, I need real food tonight, exhausted........:(

Bless your heart :(. I used to travel for business and sometimes when I got back to the hotel room even my earlobes were exhausted. I couldn't afford room service all (most) of the time and Holiday Inn Express's don't have dining rooms anyway. I went to bed hungry many times because I was sick of delivery places and didn't have the energy to drive. I learned to keep cereal in my suitcase. Luckily, I like it as a snack.

Just wanted you to know that I feel your pain. :flowers:

Pork butt cooked in oven wrapped in foil for 6 hours, baked acorn squash with butter and brown sugar, and Brussels Sprouts. Spinach salad with a port wine vinaigrette.

Back
Top Bottom