Dinner TGIF 8/25 would be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am making something my husband's mom made for him when he was little - I cringed when I made them for the first time five years ago ... and now I actually crave them - bbq cups - brown ground beef, drain fat, return to pan and add brown sugar and bbq sauce. Meanwhile, split large biscuits (I use Grands) in half. Place half biscuit in greased muffin tin, fill with beef mixture, top with cheddar cheese, seal top with other half of biscuit - bake according to biscuit directions. DH loves his with cottage cheese, I like mine with xtra cheese. Kadesma, have a GREAT time -you deserve it!

Buttermilk fried chicken, corn on the cob, roasted potatoes and a caesar salad here. Now I have to decide on dessert. Hmmm...might be ice cream or maybe a fudge pie.

You are all making me hungry. We're having sesame noodles and a garden tomato salad, with watermelon for dessert. I was just given three huge watermelons today from two neighbors gardens.

Michelemarie said:
I am making something my husband's mom made for him when he was little - I cringed when I made them for the first time five years ago ... and now I actually crave them - bbq cups - brown ground beef, drain fat, return to pan and add brown sugar and bbq sauce. Meanwhile, split large biscuits (I use Grands) in half. Place half biscuit in greased muffin tin, fill with beef mixture, top with cheddar cheese, seal top with other half of biscuit - bake according to biscuit directions. DH loves his with cottage cheese, I like mine with xtra cheese. Kadesma, have a GREAT time -you deserve it!
Thanks Michele,
Thanks for the recipe idea you've posted. My Dh is a hamburger hound and will love your recipe. Now that he is home and retired I have been fixing him lunch along with the kids..This will work for them too..

kadesma:)

Dang those sound good , will have to give them a try - thanks for the idea !! :-p
Michelemarie said:

Michelemarie said:
I am making something my husband's mom made for him when he was little - I cringed when I made them for the first time five years ago ... and now I actually crave them - bbq cups - brown ground beef, drain fat, return to pan and add brown sugar and bbq sauce. Meanwhile, split large biscuits (I use Grands) in half. Place half biscuit in greased muffin tin, fill with beef mixture, top with cheddar cheese, seal top with other half of biscuit - bake according to biscuit directions.

I've heard of them, but never heard of putting a top on them - just using them as cups. I haven't tried it either way, tho.

fig fritters - Vera, could you tell about these, please.

Going shopping tonight,
So either pub grub or chinese carryout.
Love the ground beef and biscuit recipe though, Michelemarie thats a keeper:)

i made salsicce con peperoni e cipolla again tonight (sausage, peppers, and onions :chef: ).

it was my best effort yet, using hot italian turkey sausage, baby green bell peppers from the garden, sweet onions, garlic, oregano, parsley, bay leaves, and fennel seeds. the secret ingredient is the fennel. you almost can't tell the difference from pork sausage.
and about a cup of leftover homemade sauce that was flavored by last week's pork brasciole.

again, i didn't see the leftovers...

licia said:
fig fritters - Vera, could you tell about these, please.

Hi Licia

The fig fritters are my own creation. I've got a thing for mission figs and look for new ways to prepare them all the time. I had a pint of figs...

I quartered the figs and sprinkled them with fresh grated nutmeg and ginger. I then baked them for 20 minutes at 350.

Meantime, I blended 3 jumbo eggs, half a cup of dark rum ( I used Gossling) 1 cup of milk, 1/2t cinnamon, 1/4 t. ginger, 1/8 t cloves and 1/4 t fresh nutmet. Then I added 3 1/2 cups cake flour (Downs) and 1 t. salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar.

Stirred that all together. Added 1/3 cup pignoli nuts and the baked figs. I used a wire wisk to blend it, paying attention to try to mash the figs.

In a cast iron frying pan I heated a combination of vegetable oil and shortening. Using a teaspoon, I dropped the batter into the hot hot oil, turning halfway through cooking. It took about 3 minutes per side, but check your oil and temps often!

When I removed them from the oil, I drizzled honey over them and served quickly. You can hold them for an hour, but don't add the honey till you serve.

As I said this is my own creation, I hope you like it.

beef risotto

brown short grain rice risotto, using garlic onion celery carrot beef broth thyme parsley salt pepper red pepper cooke dlike risotto, which it is, hot sautee strips of flank steak, quick sautee of young leaf spinach,

serve risotto over the spinach in a bowl, with strips of steak on top, top with grated romano cheese.

really good

Grilled Atlantic Salmon, grilled baby yellow Sunburst squash, grilled red pepper, all rubbed with olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper; La Brea Bakery roasted garlic sourdough loaf, heated on the grill; and a 2002 Navarro Vineyards Premiere Reserve Mendocino Chardonnay.

Beer Braised Brisket, green salad, potatoes rissole, garlic ciabatta and for dessert; green grapes, watermelon balls, cantaloupe balls and a few other melon balls mixed together and drizzled with Minus 8 Vinegar.

corazon90 said:
I'm kinda sick today, so I had hashbrowns. I might have some cereal in a little bit.

sorry to read you are not feeling well. I hope today is a better day for you.:flowers:

I came across a large, absolutely glistening fresh, 2-1/2" thick piece of Swordfish yesterday while shopping, & simply pan-fried/sauteed it in my large cast-iron Lodge frying pan. Served it with lots of lemon wedges & a large green salad.

Normally a piece of fish this size would have yielded enough leftovers for a nice fish salad the next day, but it was so good that both husband & I cleaned our plates - lol!!

Back
Top Bottom