Dinner, Thursday 7/23/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I am fixing to make some pesto,and panko baked tilapia with a cucumber caprese salad. And I am betting some pesto ends up in the salad too :).

What are you making?

I had a steamed artichoke with lemon butter for dipping, and the rest of the shrimp from yesterday's Shrimp Egg Foo Young. I sautéed the shrimp with the shell on in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and garlic. Yum.

I made six Mexican-inspired stuffed bell peppers with homemade salsa today - four for the freezer and two for tonight's dinner. I also have Mexican rice simmering on the stove with about a half cup of the leftover pepper filling. No rice in the filling itself.

I made us a glorified pasta salad with everything in it that needed using.

:chef:The big news is I experimented with a tri tip roast in the oven treating it like my favorite recipe for prime rib. I brought it to room temp. and rubbed it with a combo of soy sauce, seasonings and oil. Then I rolled the triangle of meat into a ball and secured it with silicone bands. I preheated the oven to 500 degrees and roasted the 3 lb. ball of meat for 15 minutes and turned the oven off, and left it with the door closed for 2 hrs. When it was sliced, it was perfectly rare and beautifully crusty. I'll sure be doing that again.

The magic formula is 5 min. per lb. at 500 degrees.

Last edited:
We spent the day, in Glenn's terminology, "doctoring." Earlyish and long day, so I put a beef roast in the crock-pot. We had that, along with mashed potatoes and spinach and iced tea. Too full and tired to have dessert.

I made six Mexican-inspired stuffed bell peppers with homemade salsa today - four for the freezer and two for tonight's dinner. I also have Mexican rice simmering on the stove with about a half cup of the leftover pepper filling. No rice in the filling itself.

Boy, did that turn out good! Tomatoes, garlic and bell, jalapeño, cubanelle and Fresno peppers from the garden in either the salsa or the filling. :yum:

Attachments

• 1437709377751.jpg
    1437709377751.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 168
I am still not up to cooking so our young friend Kay, who has been staying with me when TB is working, brought home a rotisserie chicken and some salads. The three of us had a good meal and there is still some chicken for sandwiches and salads.

Too busy working on garage sale stuff today (WHO'S idea was it to price everything? :wacko: ), so we cleaned up some leftovers. I made salads and cleaned out the last of the ham and a bit of yesterday's chicken by adding it to my bowl. Himself opted to follow up his salad with some of the leftover Chinese food.

...Tomatoes, garlic and bell, jalapeño, cubanelle and Fresno peppers from the garden in either the salsa or the filling. :yum:
That's some pumping up the flavor there, GG. With all the tweaking you did to a standard stuffed pepper, we could always call you "Doctor Pepper". :ROFLMAO:
Exit, Stage Right...

Too busy working on garage sale stuff today (WHO'S idea was it to price everything? :wacko: ), so we cleaned up some leftovers. I made salads and cleaned out the last of the ham and a bit of yesterday's chicken by adding it to my bowl. Himself opted to follow up his salad with some of the leftover Chinese food.

That's some pumping up the flavor there, GG. With all the tweaking you did to a standard stuffed pepper, we could always call you "Doctor Pepper". :ROFLMAO:
Exit, Stage Right...

:LOL: Yer nuts, lady!

And I didn't even mention the cumin, chili powder and Mexican oregano that are in there.

I made us a glorified pasta salad with everything in it that needed using.

:chef:The big news is I experimented with a tri tip roast in the oven treating it like my favorite recipe for prime rib. I brought it to room temp. and rubbed it with a combo of soy sauce, seasonings and oil. Then I rolled the triangle of meat into a ball and secured it with silicone bands. I preheated the oven to 500 degrees and roasted the 3 lb. ball of meat for 15 minutes and turned the oven off, and left it with the door closed for 2 hrs. When it was sliced, it was perfectly rare and beautifully crusty. I'll sure be doing that again.

The magic formula is 5 min. per lb. at 500 degrees.

Wow, Kay, thanks for the tip - glad it turned out so perfectly! I'll definitely remember this. I almost always grill tri tip, as you do, but there's the occasional time when I'm out of charcoal, or it's too windy. Great sounding alternative. :yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom