Dinner - Thursday, 8/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Air Fryer Pork Loin Chop & Garlic Mashed Idaho's under Gravy,
Buttered Field Peas with Cut Green Beans...

Pork Loin Chop Garlic Mash under Gravy, Field Peas & Cut Green Beans....jpg

Don't know what I'll be making for myself yet, but for my son and his wife, I made Italian grinders on pillow-soft hoagie rolls.

Hoagie construction:
Prep:
Cut rolls in half, lengthwise. Brush insides of top and bottom roll with a generous amount of fragrant, EVOO. Toast on griddle until medium brown. Rub tasted sides with raw garlic.

Thinly slice beefsteak tomato, 4 slices, again thin. Cut each slice in half.
Thinly slice sweet onion, two slices. Cut each slice in half.
Cut 2 round slices of Provolone cheese in half.
Slice red sweet bell pepper into thin slices. Cut each finger into thirds.
Drain a can of sliced black olives.

On bottom rolls, lay to tomato haves to cover bread. Follow with 8 slices sandwich pepperoni. Dust with cayenne pepper. Add enough hard salami sandwich slices to cover the pepperoni. Lay hot Capicola on top of the salami. Add a layer of Mortadella. Place onion, and bell pepper slices on the Mortadella. Spread sliced black olives evenly over the top. Finally. Place the cheese on top. Carefully put the top roll on. Completely envelop the hoagie in plastic wrap, twisting the sides to seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to let the flavors develop together (mine were made by10 a.m., and won't be served until about 6:30 p.m.).

To serve, remove the plastic wrap, and place in 425' oven for ten minutes to crisp the outside of the rolls, and melt the cheese.

I learned about letting the hoagie sit for hours from a little place in my home town, West Pier Drive-In that made the best cold cut subs ever. The owner made all of his subs the night before, and kept the refrigerated. He swore that it was the secret to his wildly popular subs. The place is small, with car-hops still bringing food to you on car window trays. Their burgers are the best anywhere. But it was the subs, back in the50' 60',and 70's that made them famous. The owners have changed, but kept the samr recipes, and cooking methods.

Another place, The Grinder, in El Cajon, CA., did the same thing. Again, way better subs/grinders.

For me, making my Italian sub, with my own mix of ingredients, is a labor of love. It is one of the best sandwiches I know how to make, besides my double-decker BLT with onion, on Toasted Rye.:chef: But then again, thick round of liverwurst, with tomato, onion, Iceberg lettuce, and a little Miracle Whip on toast is mighty pleasing too.:D

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Blackberry crumble - berries are picked off the brambles behind my house (scratched arms for proof). A 1/2 sheet pan takes about 10 cups of berries and an embarrassing number of band-aides. Crumble is cooling and the ice-cream is in the freezer :chef:

cobbler.jpg

Too much "adulting" for me today. DH could hear that I was over-stressed. He said we should order out, since I might injure myself cooking. Yeah, it was that kind of day.

I ordered a Philly steak sandwich and DH ordered a chicken, bacon, tomato, and arugula panini. They were pretty good and a lot safer than me dealing with a stove or oven.

Picked up a nice piece of salmon today and cooked it 'en papillote' (to be completely accurate, it should be en reynolds foil). Flavored with scallions, garlic, soy sauce and dry sherry. Also a salad to complete the meal.

B6ABDD40-5186-4B1E-8889-4C794602B12B_1_105_c.jpg

Had running around to do, plus an issue with the internet. Ended up running out of time and energy to finish off supper. Himself suggested picking something up on our way home. We had Chinese: moo goo gai pan and shrimp fried rice. Bless his heart, it was yummy.

Back
Top Bottom