Dinner Tonight, it's Wednesday 8/30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i went to the paterson farmer's market, and loaded up on veggies and picked up a coupla 1+ pound whole red snappers.
it's funny, as i walked thru the market, so many of you, or at least the thoughts thereof, were with me. i had so many questions that i knew someone in my thoughts could answer. lots of south american spices, dried peppers, strange arabic and asian foods; i wish you all were with me.
next time i'm bringing a notepad.

anyway, i made marinated veggie stuffed baked red snappers tonight, and dw made mashed spuds and cheesey broccoli for the sides.
early in the day, i halved then thin sliced a large sweet onion, a bulb of fennel, and a very large shallot. the slices were tossed in evoo and balsamic vinegar, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and a tbsp each of fresh parsley and thyme from the garden. the mix was covered and refrigerated for about 6 hours, then it was overstuffed and tied into the cleaned body cavities of the red snappers (heads, tails, fins, and scales removed so as not to freak out the wife).
a little more s&p and evoo over top of the fishes in a glass baking dish, and they went into a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes.

i've made this dish many times with trout, in fact that's one of the recipes that i'd included when i sent the apron on to pdswife. i'll post a proper recipe when i can.
i must admit that i now prefer using red snapper for this. even though the pin bones were a p.i.t.a., the flesh was so much sweeter and matched the delicate sweetness of the veggies.

i think next time i'll try this with large red snapper filets (skin on), and make a kind of baked snapper roll-ups.

Constance said:
Rickell, if I were you, I'd do a Rice-a-Roni or Uncle Ben's, and add some broccoli or peas, diced sweet red pepper and a drained can of mushrooms to cook along with it.
Or you could use regular rice, cook it with chicken broth and a garlic herb seasoning or a packet of dry onion soup mix, and add the vegies as above.
Of course you could use any combination of vegetables.

Then you could lay your finished chicken breasts on top of the rice to serve.

I found some bread fish fillets in the freezer...they're nice thick ones, real fish and not that compressed stuff. We'll have fish sandwiches tonight.
I'm also cooking up a big mess of cabbage and smoked sausage. Kim won't touch it...thus the fish sandwiches.

Constance, I just love you. You always have the best ideas. Great minds think alike I suppose:-p

By the way, you know what I'm still doing for you, right?:angel:

Back
Top Bottom