Dinner tonight, the 8th of February...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
What's on your table?
I have that chicken from last night that I'd like to incorporate into our meal tonight.
So , husband woke up and told me he needs me to put him on a diet. I asked how committed he was and got the standard answer I expected. "Well honey, you know I can't live on straw and dust, but it's your mission should you choose to accept it, and help me drop some weight." I said okay.
So tonight, it's sliced chicken, with oven roasted carrots, potatoes, brussel sprouts, onions. If I put all cut up fresh veggies in a big bowl, toss it with a small amount of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar, it'll all get coated but won't be drenched, right? A green salad with limited dressing, his favorite = 1000 Island. Tonight I'll make it with Fat Free Hellman's instead of full fat or regular, he'll not know the difference and I'll add to it, a hard boiled egg and a small pinch sweet relish, plus to the salad I'll add sliced beets which he adores. < I"ll toss it together, and present it that way, on his plate instead of the mound that usually just goes on top. Water, lots of water for the man from now on WHETHER HE LIKES IT OR NOT.
It'd be great if I was home everyday, as I concern over him being alone and making himself anything legal:(.

What's on your dinner table tonight? Happy TGIF!

Tonight will be take-out, I am hungry for fish n chips !
Just made a dark chocolate cake with crm. cheese frosting for dessert!

Last edited:
Wow, Lefse, your "diet" meal sounds absolutely wonderful. And yes, presentation is important, specially when it may not be the food he wants!

I, on the other hand am going for the other end of the scope. It is Friday, and so border #1 (and now our only one again) and I are looking forward to our weekly perogie night. And, in celebration of the fact that thanks to a wonderful cortisone shot my knee is once again useable, I am going to make fresh ones again. There are still some in the freezer, but hey, if I am in the mood to make them I am going to take advantage of it!:pig:

Of course there will be the onions sweat in butter, sour cream and sauted garlic sausage. There is leftover apple crisp from last night for dessert.

Okay, okay, you are making me feel guilty so I am going to put some sliced tomatoes and cucumbers out to make the meal slightly healthy!

What a week, I didn't think Friday would ever get here. I had the same dirty knives in my kitchen sink since Sunday evening:wacko:.

I'd like to say the only important thing I'm consuming this evening is the cocktail - Speyside scotch:angel:

I stopped in the Garden of Eden yesterday afternoon and picked up two cheeses, one called Drunken Goat (a wine infused goat cheese) and the other a sheep's milk cheese. I got a pound of peeled shrimp, a salami that has soaked in white wine for 6 months, duck and orange paté, a small fig cake, a country baguette and seedless black grapes.

We've taken to playing cards on friday evenings during our light fare. I'm convinced I don't have the sneaky-ness to actually win at cards:angel:

By the way, Lefse, yes, tossing the veggies with a bit of olive oil and your seasonings and then roasting them is very healthy. I do it quite often and it is also very tasty.

Aaaaah choo, cough, cough. Rats, I have a cold/flu for past few days. Haven't been sick in the last 8 years, so it's thrown me for a loop. Been eating soup, juice & liquids last couple of days. Hope it passes soon. On the plus side, maybe I can lose a few. Have a great weekend.

What a week, I didn't think Friday would ever get here.:angel:I stopped in the Garden of Eden yesterday afternoon and picked up two cheeses, one called Drunken Goat (a wine infused goat cheese) [I love this cheese and buy it when I'm in Providence RI] and the other a sheep's milk cheese. I got a pound of peeled shrimp, a salami that has soaked in white wine for 6 months [yummm], duck and orange paté, a small fig cake, a country baguette and seedless black grapes.

We've taken to playing cards on friday evenings during our light fare. I'm convinced I don't have the sneaky-ness to actually win at cards:angel:
okay, I bite, so I'm going to VB's for dinner.

Aaaaah choo, cough, cough. Rats, I have a cold/flu for past few days. Haven't been sick in the last 8 years, so it's thrown me for a loop. Been eating soup, juice & liquids last couple of days. Hope it passes soon. On the plus side, maybe I can lose a few. Have a great weekend.

Amy, I think you need some of that drunken goat cheese and wine soaked salami. Lefse, you should pick her up on the way to VB's.:LOL: Anyway, Amy I hope you feel better soon.

oops, i put my answer for tonight on last night's thread.

since i was at helping my parents' at their house all day yesterday, and i have to work a double tomorrow, dw's taking the afternoon off and is going to the malls to return/exchange gifts.

so the boy and i are gonna go to a fish market and either get some shellfish for a cioppino/zuppa/marechiare (anyone know the difference between these? they seem to be interchangeable names in most restaurants), or if the trout is fresh, i'll make my balsamic and herb veggie stuffed baked whole trout.

Paul's stopping to pick up some fresh fish. We're going to TRY to make sushi for the first time.

Amy, I think you need some of that drunken goat cheese and wine soaked salami. Lefse, you should pick her up on the way to VB's.:LOL: Anyway, Amy I hope you feel better soon.

Awww, thank you LP. At the moment the thought of goat anything anytime, would probably make be barf.:sick:But I thank you for the get well wishes.:)

DH is back and I haven't made a decent meal all week!
Alot of cookies however to keep the munchins entertained...

Meatloaf and Augratin potatoes
steamed carrots

The diet will restart next week.
I hope.

oops, i put my answer for tonight on last night's thread.

since i was at helping my parents' at their house all day yesterday, and i have to work a double tomorrow, dw's taking the afternoon off and is going to the malls to return/exchange gifts.

so the boy and i are gonna go to a fish market and either get some shellfish for a cioppino/zuppa/marechiare (anyone know the difference between these? they seem to be interchangeable names in most restaurants), or if the trout is fresh, i'll make my balsamic and herb veggie stuffed baked whole trout.

So, Buckytom, you got me thinking and I pulled out my Larousse (which hasn't left the shelf since I graduated two years ago!) and found this out.

Cioppino - "A dish from San Fancisco consisting of a stew of white fish, large prawns (shrimp), clams and mussels, with a garlic, tomato and white-wine base."

There were no listings for zuppa (except for zuppa ingleze which is a wonderful dessert) or marechiare.

However, we did make a marechiare, which was mussels and clams with fresh Plum tomatoes and shallots.

As for zuppa, from my understanding, it is an italian term and used for many different "soup-like" dishes. I may be wrong on this one.

Hope that helps. Or are you sorry you asked? ;)

The boy had some lovely organic haddock fillets that he coated with herbed bread crumbs and broiled. I made him sauteed mushrooms & shallots served over herbed quinoa and some steamed broccoli.

I had the quinoa and broccoli and might have a small cup of left over soup I made last night.

Some lovely chocolate later for dessert!

pan fried smoked ham, roasted sweet potato chunks, fresh cole slaw, and ww dinner rolls.

But, I've got brownies in the oven;). We are going to some friends' house for dinner tomorrow, so that was a good excuse to make some brownies:cool:. Just hope I remember to take them tomorrow:LOL:

Good luck, Lefse, as long as hubby stays motivated, he'll do fine with your help!

We're having NY Strip steaks with risotto and roasted vegetables.

I'm also making boiled brown rice for my dog who seems to have caught a stomach bug. :unhappy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom